Talk

Advanced search

weekend in NYC, what should i prioritise?

(21 Posts)
YouGetNOTHING Thu 13-Aug-15 14:47:02

I want to take DH to new York for his 50th. It would be from Friday to Monday.

As we wouldn't have long there, what is unmissable? So far I would like to go to the highline and a diner.

Also, which area is good to stay in?

Thanks!

titchy Thu 13-Aug-15 15:10:58

Do you arrive Friday, or leave UK Friday? If the latter please try and extend, even if by one day. You won't get through immigration till early hours their time - which will be an overnighter according to your body clock - you'll be absolutely knackered on the Saturday....

Stay on Manhattan island, not too high up, but anywhere between Central park and the bottom.

Must do - I'd say Empire state (and quick walk through Times Square), Circle Line round Manhatten, HighLine, Central park, Staten Island Ferry to see Statue of Liberty, then one cultural thing depending on your interests, so MoMA maybe, or a show, or Ground Zero.

LittleBearPad Thu 13-Aug-15 15:14:21

Rockefeller center, Top of the Rock is better than the Empire State. Central Park too.

Frick Collextion is great and not too large for a quick cultural moment.

YouGetNOTHING Thu 13-Aug-15 15:41:09

Thanks for the tips. The only thing about leaving a day earlier is that my Dparents will be looking after our 3 DC and I don't know if it will be too long for them. They will be 2, 6 and 8.

Probably would go to ground zero. Howbig is Central Park. Having just watched Madagascar I'm tempted by the zoo!

Hadmeathello Thu 13-Aug-15 15:44:06

Yes to High Line. I would also recommend the One World Observatory. Breathtaking and the highlight of NY for me. Find out when sunset is and go up half an hour before and see the view in daylight and all lit up. Enjoy.

Millymollymama Thu 13-Aug-15 19:27:46

There are zoos everywhere, so one in NY is not very NY if you see what I mean! We like the SoHo area for something different and brilliant restaurants and I think the High Line is now unmissable. We went to the Metropolitan Museum last time we were there and I thought it was great. MoMa or the Guggenheim are also worth going to.

NoArmaniNoPunani Thu 13-Aug-15 19:30:24

Don't waste a day visiting the statue of liberty, just get the ferry that goes round it.

MyLovelyFriend2015 Thu 13-Aug-15 19:32:40

Statten island ferry is free for a trip past the statue of liberty

911 memorial

Keens steakhouse for the BEST stark

Rockefella centre

MyLovelyFriend2015 Thu 13-Aug-15 19:33:34

*steak

SwedishEdith Thu 13-Aug-15 19:44:34

What time do you arrive in NYC and at what airport? I'm no expert, but getting out of Newark was a doddle - no queues.

Yes to High Line, Staten Island ferry (and quick pizza in SI), walk across Brooklyn Bridge - get subway to Brooklyn first so you have the view of Manhattan when you walk. The time difference means you'll be up very really (and I found if difficult to stay up late in the evening) so you get do the Empire State first thing with no real queues.

Lordofmyflies Thu 13-Aug-15 22:41:54

Be aware that getting out of jfk can be a nightmare! Plus traffic into Manhattan can be terrible. It can take 2-3 hours to get to midtown after landing.

I would book 'top of the rock' than Empire State. It's higher and you can see the Empire State from it. Maybe do it early and then walk up to the Met Museum or Natural History (near Central Park). Perhaps dinner at the 'Tavern on the Green' and a carriage ride around the park.
If you can afford it, a helicopter ride is fantastic and the heliports very near 911 and staten ferry.

MyLovelyFriend2015 Fri 14-Aug-15 00:56:09

And Ellen stardust's diner is worth a visit

PUGaLUGS Fri 14-Aug-15 01:22:20

Wrote a long post and my iPad froze...

Area - Manahttan.

Ellen's Stardust Diner - food okish. BUT worth it for the singing. The staff work really hard.

Taxis into Manhattan are all the same price $52 plus toll.

If travelling on previous Estas, immigration a breeze - do self check in. We landed at 12pm and were in Manhatten at the hotel by 2pm despite a small hiccup with DS2 and his picture not looking like him and we had to then queue to see someone. He is due a new passport next April.

Top of the Rock over Empire State.

We did Greenwich Vilkage and The Highline yesterday and walked 13.5 miles.

Today we did a baseball game.

Tonight we will plan what we are going to do for the next two days with our passes as they need to be maximised to get our money's worth.

Central Park is huge. I would get a bicitaxi and do the tour of it that way. Haggle on price.

I agree on the helicopter ride. There are four of us and we are flying on elsewhere on Sunday (DH nod I have been before) so we are choosing the best bits for the boys.

911 a must (we have done it before) but won't do it with the boys.

We are going to ride bikes over the Brooklyn bridge.

Get comfortable shoes.

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Fri 14-Aug-15 02:36:54

Ditch both the Empire State and Rockerfeller altogether as 1 World Trade is now open to the public. Have lunch while you're up there, or dinner for the sunset (those tickets are getting harder to get hold of this summer). It's really, really cool.
I honestly wouldn't bother with the 9/11 stuff unless you have an active interest in it. NY's ability to move on from there is kind of celebratory of the city itself anyway.

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Fri 14-Aug-15 02:39:48

And, Ellen's Stardust Diner was great about 10 years ago. Now they don't even hire real chefs. The food is crap and the singing is mediocre. There are a million gazillion other places to eat. Hells Kitchen has some amazing and, surprisingly, cheap food.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 14-Aug-15 07:24:42

When are you planning on visiting?.

Central Park is 843 acres.

I would stay Midtown if visiting NYC.

Would visit the Highline, Top of the Rock and One World Observatory (book tickets in advance). If you do want to see the Statue of Liberty then use the Staten Island Ferry because this will give you a good view of it.

Recommended places to eat include The River Café, Bobbo on Waverley Place and the Dominique Ansel Bakery for a cronut.

(The APC machines that PUG mentions are not without their hiccups and you may be just directed onto a general immigration line in any case. Their main issue is that you still have to see an immigration officer even after using one of these machines so it can take just as long).

YouGetNOTHING Fri 14-Aug-15 09:09:01

Thanks so much for further ideas! I like the idea of walking across the Brooklyn bridge and pizza. Dh love walking round cities so I always have comfy shoes!
I haven't booked anything yet but from what I had minimally researched it looks like we would be going to newark airport. Thanks fir reminding me about the estas grin ours just ran out in the last month so I will have to sort that one
So far, highline and Brooklyn bridge walk. So I guess Staten island ferry then Brooklyn bridge back??
A bit of central park would be nice but we'll see.

YouGetNOTHING Fri 14-Aug-15 09:11:46

I've just re-read swedish 's post, Staten island ferry and Brooklyn bridge are two different trips I guess. confused

SwedishEdith Fri 14-Aug-15 17:15:05

Yes, Staten Island and Brooklyn are different boroughs but we still did both on the same day. Get subway early to get SI ferry - get to SI. Either hang around for a bit or get SI ferry straight back. Then can wander up towards the Ground Zero area (and go up new tower there?). Then can wander over to Brooklyn Bridge. We walked towards Brooklyn (which is still fine - can turn around for photos) but walking towards Manhattan makes it easier to see.

DeliveredByKiki Fri 14-Aug-15 17:20:49

Just walk walk walk - I personally love the east village and Greenwich and love just getting lost in Manhattan

imonaplane Fri 14-Aug-15 20:37:19

I agree that Top of the Rock ( Rockefeller Centre) is the best view. You have Central Park on one side and The Empire State Building on the other. We did a harbour cruise which went right up to The Statue of Liberty for some great photos. The hop on hop off bus tours are good too. I would recommend Maloney and Porcelli for a meal. They do a wine dinner at weekends which includes 3 courses and unlimited wine. Was about $75pp when we went but well worth the money. We stayed at The Omni, Berkshire Place which was lovely and quite central on Madison Avenue. I don't know if it is every Sunday but when we were there they shut Madison for a street market which was great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now