Talk

Advanced search

Flying to Sydney - stopover in Singapore or HK

(10 Posts)
Getyercoat Mon 10-Aug-15 22:58:48

It's not the same question as the thread a bit further down, promise!

I've been to Australia a few times but last trip was in 2002 when I was young and single and childfree.
This time we'll have a 4.5 year old with us. A particularly loud, exuberant, chatty and excitable boy.

I've narrowed it down by airline and I'd like to fly either Singapore or Cathay.
Had great experiences with Singapore twice, haven't flown Cathay but got good reports (albeit from folk who've gone business class)

We'll be going in February.
I'm looking at either a three day stop at Sentosa or three days in HK.
Leaning towards the more relaxing option in Sentosa... but I've never been to HK... lest with a crazy boy in tow..

Any advice?

gordonpym Tue 11-Aug-15 02:07:37

I would go for Sentosa.
First you don't want to "test" an airline with a child. Singapore airline is lovely, go for it. Second Singapore / sentosa is nice, clean and safe.
Hk can wait for your next trip when your son is older.

MooseBeTimeForSummer Tue 11-Aug-15 02:33:33

Sentosa. Use the MRT to get there. Tons you could do - the bird park, night safari. Just stay by the beach (if you don't mind looking at shipping). Go shopping. Introduce him to Durian ....

LahLahsbigband Tue 11-Aug-15 03:20:22

Singapore because Singapore Airlines is better, Singapore airport is much closer to the city so less travel , it's a brilliant place to take kids , not just Sentosa but whole island, and also (I think??) your overall journey may come in at less hours? Might have to check that last one grin

ShanghaiDiva Tue 11-Aug-15 03:38:13

HK - Disney is great for the under 10s. Could stay at Novotel city gate which is one stop down from the Disney line on the metro. Hotel has a free shuttle from airport. This metro line (tung Chung) will take you to HK station in 30 minutes for shopping etc.
Cathay is a great airline - I have flown long haul many times with them (business), but economy is also good.

KeyserSophie Tue 11-Aug-15 03:55:27

Hi- I live in HK

Cathay is a good airline- no worries there. On a par or slightly better than Sing airlines, so I'd take that out of the equation.

However, I would probably go for Singapore because HK could be really crap weather that time of year (or could be lovely but it's a total gamble- we have a winter so might be 10 degrees), and if you're here at Chinese New Year (6th-12th Feb) you dont want to be anywhere near HK Disney or Ocean Park as they'll be rammed with mainlanders. Also, I think lah lah is right in that London to Sing and London to HK are the same time, but Sing to Sydney is shorter than HK to Sydney.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Tue 11-Aug-15 04:05:20

Singapore definitely, love Singapore airlines, loads to do there, very clean, safe and easy to get around. Do the aquarium on sentosa and night safari, art science museum is fabulous and hands on (check what's on), universal studios, gardens by the bay (including the new splash park). Lived in Singapore for 9 years on and off, dd2 was born there, so child friendly. Love hk too but would do Singapore as there is so much to keep a little one busy.

Getyercoat Tue 11-Aug-15 09:16:31

Thanks everyone! Much as I'd love to see HK (have had one night stops in Singapore) I think you're all right and it can wait until DS is older.
We can also skip packing the warmer clothes if we go to Singapore.

Now to pluck up the courage to just do it... Might get some Phenergan after our last, short flight to Lanzarote.
As for the durian.... I'm going to introduce DH to that!

specialsubject Wed 12-Aug-15 20:48:37

Singapore at that time of year. One fleece each just in case, although they are smart enough to have their aircon set so you don't freeze. (are you listening, Hawaii???)

not 3 days on Sentosa!! Plenty of other great stuff where you can all have fun. And if it is Chinese new year it will be RAMMED.

see the zoo in the day, you can do it at your own pace and see more.

and don't take the durian on public transport....

MooseBeTimeForSummer Thu 13-Aug-15 06:24:41

Indeed. This doesn't mean "hedgehogs not allowed" although a dead hedgehog still smells better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now