Talk

Advanced search

Child meal or adult meal business flight

(31 Posts)
JemimaHighway Mon 20-Jul-15 18:19:17

Hi,

We are travelling with just turned 3 and 6 year old business. It's our first longhair flight with the kids (hence going business!).

Should we order them kids meals or stick to adult meals for them and let them stick up on sweets from the snack bar?

The eldest can be funny with new foods, the little one is usually quite good (but depends on mood and appetite!).

I will of course take snacks from home anyway. It's a 9 hour flight.

TIA

JemimaHighway Mon 20-Jul-15 18:20:00

Longhaul not longhair....

morethanpotatoprints Mon 20-Jul-15 18:27:49

Is it a good idea to travel business?
It's usually very quiet in there and people won't expect any noise at all from your children?
As far as food is concerned do you not have a menu in business class?
I suppose you could always take some healthy snacks for them.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 20-Jul-15 18:29:06

I've never ordered a kids meal in business for DS. BA have always sorted something for him if he didn't want any of the adult choices. He raids the bread basket and the cheese course plus the fresh fruit. I have taken back up pesto pasta with me before just in case as it travels ok and doesn't seem to mind being out of the fridge for a few hours.

mono3 Mon 20-Jul-15 18:29:38

I would say definitely go with the kids meals. Might not always be the healthiest option but eating keeps them entertained for a while so you want them to eat. Also not good if they don't like the adults meal and are hungry. It's been a while since my kids were that age but they loved their kids meal. Special order meals such as the kids ones usually gets served earlier than the adult meals so time for you to unwrap things and get them organised before your meal arrives.

Eastpoint Mon 20-Jul-15 18:30:27

With some of the airlines you can login online & have a look at their business class menu to get an idea. There are usually children in business & first class morethan, the airlines will take anyone's money.

JeanSeberg Mon 20-Jul-15 18:32:10

Nice stealth boast. wink

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 20-Jul-15 18:34:10

Why wouldn't it be a good idea to travel in business? I've done it many times with DS and not once has he bothered other passengers by being too noisy.

JemimaHighway Mon 20-Jul-15 18:40:45

Yes, there's often kids in business class. We've done 5 hours business and economy but I just took sandwiches.

Goodbye and mono thanks for your opinions, conflicting though they are grin

I'm thinking just to stick with adults meals for them...

morethanpotatoprints Mon 20-Jul-15 19:01:42

Although i can't profess to have done it regularly whenever I've travelled business with dh for business there weren't any children they were all business people.
The odd occasion there were children they were shushed all the time.
I had mixed views tbh that yes, they had paid and deserved to be able to relax but on the other hand some people were working or wanting to relax away from children.

JemimaHighway Mon 20-Jul-15 19:30:05

morethan The question was regarding the in-flight meals, not whether or not we should be going business class. And we will do precisely what we want to do thank you. Why? Well a) because we want to and b) because we can afford to.

Both DH and I have travelled many, many times for work (flying business) and sometimes there was kids and sometimes there weren't. It usually depended on location. And our location is very unlikely to be business only. It's more than likely to have more kids as it's a holiday destination rather than business.

My kids are very well behaved and well travelled and very quiet.

I could possibly understand your point if we were discussing a screaming baby in first.

But we aren't. And as I said that wasn't the question. So if you have nothing further to add, I suggest you go and have mixed views elsewhere.

chocomochi Mon 20-Jul-15 19:34:00

I don't understand the comment questioning op whether it's a good idea to travel in business. If she's paid for the tickets, her DCs have just amount of rights to be there as the next passenger.

With regards to the op, yes, good idea to order a child's meal. Maybe you can see what sort of menu is on offer/see a sample menu before you fly?

morethanpotatoprints Mon 20-Jul-15 19:37:36

Yes, sorry just struck me as odd, that's all. Obviously I was wrong.
didn't mean to sound nasty, apologies.
As you were blush

TravellingToad Mon 20-Jul-15 19:41:15

Sour grapes from some people! "Stealth boast" hardly, just stating a fact! We travel business with our children and pay for a ticket the same as anyone else. The cabin isn't not meant to have children in it.

I'd go for the kids meal but whatever you order they will have plenty of bread rolls and chocolate bars spare so they won't starve!

chippednailvarnish Mon 20-Jul-15 19:42:56

Last time I flew business class with my 8 month old DS, Kate Middleton was in economy grin

Go for the kids meal OP.

JemimaHighway Mon 20-Jul-15 20:40:08

Sorry more than

travelling toad thank you! I wanted to say the same but felt I couldn't. I mentioned it was business as I'm querying what to do about the kids and food, and economy is different to business.
Will go for the kids meal on the way out and then if it's a success, do it on the way back,

Thanks.

Wish I hadn't bothered posting now.

ihearttc Mon 20-Jul-15 20:44:04

We travelled Business from London to Dubai...we ended up being upgraded due to DH's Gold Card with Emirates as some of the seats in economy were broken.

They were brilliant and went and got my DS a kids meal from downstairs (we were on a A380) as he didn't like anything off the menu and then he ate that plus bread, cheese and fruit. It was the first time he'd flown (he was 8 at the time) and now thinks thats the way to travel!

Artandco Mon 20-Jul-15 20:49:47

More - what about if adults are travelling for business but children with them?

Op we always travel business or first long haul. I just find it easier as kid scan sleep comfier and often we arrive morning in country of arrival, so no time for them to sleep. Then we leave evening and arrive back early morning in time for them to get to school so I want them to have slept well and eaten

cariadlet Mon 20-Jul-15 23:08:59

I'd love to know what jobs people have to "always travel business or first". Guess I'll have to keep buying the lottery tickets. wink

PatriciaHolm Tue 21-Jul-15 10:13:55

I would agree for those ages, kids meals. You'll be able to get bread, cheese, etc to supplement easily. The adults meals will be full of salt too, as food tastes bland at altitude so they tend to add salt and other flavourings to boost the taste.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Tue 21-Jul-15 10:27:33

Surely it would be governed by what the choices are and what your kids will eat? If they'll only eat nuggets and chips (assuming that's what kiddie food is like on a plane) then get them that. If they like other foods and have larger appetites, get the adult meals.

Doesn't seem that complicated.

ChipsOnChips Tue 21-Jul-15 10:40:11

I usually book a child meal for the littlest - it's invariably pasta which suits.

The older two will usually pick at the adult meal or have bread, cheese platter and crisps/fruit. Whatever option you chose there will be plenty to keep them going.

Ps no one will bat an eyes at DC in business smile

Madcats Thu 23-Jul-15 16:27:05

Is this a day flight or overnight?

Having just done 2 overnight long-hauls my recommendation is to feed the kids up in an aircraft lounge (food & drink free) then it isn't a disaster if they only fancy the bread rolls.

We let DD fall asleep in the lounge then manoeuvred her in zombie mode to the plane when the time came. She went back into a deep sleep as soon as she was seated (so no idea what the kids meal was).

I think there's a website where passengers post pics of their meals on specific flights; try googling for that.

Charleybarley Thu 23-Jul-15 16:49:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeanSeberg Thu 23-Jul-15 19:44:21

I'd love to know what jobs people have to "always travel business or first"

Same here and no sour grapes despite the pp comments lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now