Hong Kong or Singapore for a 3 night stopover?

(22 Posts)
ihatethecold Wed 15-Jul-15 10:01:57

And should we do it on the way to Thailand or the way back?

Planning on going next summer, due to jet lag would it be better to stop on the way back so we are not knackered and too tired to explore one of these cities?

It will be me, Dh and 2 teens.

PeriPathetic Wed 15-Jul-15 10:07:47

Hong Kong. Much more exciting.
As for when, it depends on the timing of your flight. I'm sure you'll all be able to stay up long enough to enjoy the place regardless of jet lag! It will be extremely hot and humid though, and freezing inside due to aircon.

NickiFury Wed 15-Jul-15 10:09:27

I've never been so what do I know but relatives both work out there regularly and both say Singapore is far nicer than Hong Kong.

ihatethecold Wed 15-Jul-15 10:13:12

Thanks, both sound great, I lived in HK as a child and i am tempted to show my kids where I lived.

Thetruthshallmakeyefret Wed 15-Jul-15 10:22:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NickiFury Wed 15-Jul-15 10:26:51

Oh in that case then definitely HK. I'm taking my children to Berlin soon because I want them to see where I lived and have an idea of what my childhood was like.

ihatethecold Wed 15-Jul-15 10:32:15

So would you go there on the way to thailand or on the way back.
We have only done Florida long haul before so we are not used to jet lag at all.
kids will be 12 and 16

jugglingmonkey Wed 15-Jul-15 10:40:14

Well, Singapore is on the same time as Thailand... So I guess it makes no difference as far as jet lag is concerned? HK is one hour closer to UK time, but you'd still have jet lag to contend with...

Personally I'd always do a city stopover before beach/relaxation. But, you might want to break up your long journey home... Swings and roundabouts! I guess if there was a big price difference that would sway me!

NickiFury Wed 15-Jul-15 10:42:22

I would go before too. On the way back I just want to get home. I'm knackered and got a suitcase full of laundry, stopping off wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable. It's nice to do the city break and know you've still got weeks of lovely holiday elsewhere.

Thetruthshallmakeyefret Wed 15-Jul-15 14:28:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ihatethecold Wed 15-Jul-15 14:30:20

Thanks. Good advice.

Pushka2 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:55:18

Agree with others - Hong Kong without a shadow of a doubt and before beach.

BeanCalledPickle Wed 15-Jul-15 19:01:31

One additional factor is that Hong Kong to Phuket is a long flight in itself, and not that frequent. Singapore is only an hour and there are lots of flights. We did Hong Kong on the way out to Phuket and it nearly killed me! The noise! The congestion!

ihatethecold Wed 15-Jul-15 19:55:53

That's interesting. We are planning on going to Koh Samui.

specialsubject Wed 15-Jul-15 21:20:14

either at that time of year; both very interesting cities. Singapore easier, cleaner etc, but if you knew Hong Kong before then go back to see how it has changed.

KeyserSophie Thu 16-Jul-15 06:10:50

Only Bangkok Airlines flies direct to Koh Samui from HK (3 hr flight). Otherwise you have to go to Bangkok (Thai or Cathay)and then onto Koh Samui with Bangkok Air which takes almost a day by the time you account for transfer times. Bangkok Air is expensive direct from HK but worth it IMO. And KS over Phuket any day- much more charming and accommodation is better value.

I live in HK but am a massive Singophile. That said, I think HK is more interesting for a 3 day visit, especially if you lived here before. Be aware that the weather in either will be fairly unpleasantly hot in summer and you could get 3 days of torrential rain (wet season).

ihatethecold Thu 16-Jul-15 10:01:35

Ah yes. I remember the typhoons!
We used to hang out of the apartment window watching the water gushing down the hill and over the road.

I went into trailfinders to talk about flights.
I would rather pay more for convenience than pay less and it takes days to get there.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 19-Jul-15 22:39:13

Hong Kong!!!! I've lived in both and HATED singapore, though that may have been because i left my heart in Hong Kong and was heart broken to leave!

ihatethecold Mon 20-Jul-15 12:43:39

Thanks Queen. You might be biased then?

ajandjjmum Sun 09-Aug-15 04:45:42

We spent three days on a stopover in Singapore, and although we enjoyed it, I wouldn't necessarily rush back. We're going to HK at the end of the year for a few days - DH spent some time there years ago, but I've never been. Be interesting to see the contrast.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 09-Aug-15 07:29:58

Also travelling eastwards feels far different to going west. Going west you "gain" hours, going east you "lose" hours. That flight out to the Far East will leave in the evening (unlike the ones to FL that leave far earlier).

I found that any jetlag I suffered felt worse when travelling east. If I did a stopover to the Far East again I would do this travelling eastwards rather than westwards.

ihatethecold Sun 09-Aug-15 07:51:50

I think we've now ruled out going east.
Jet lag and the hassle of changing flights on the way back is putting us off.
Plus I watched a program about Koh Samui the other night that really put me off.
We thinking Mauritius would be easier with a direct flight and only 3 hours difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now