Talk

Advanced search

Mexico with an 18-month old. Help!!

(6 Posts)
fishmywish Sun 05-Jul-15 21:29:05

So, my brother is getting married this summer in central Mexico and a group of us are heading there for 2 weeks, to go to the wedding and travel around a little. I will be with my husband and daughter who will then be 18 months. I'm dreading the flights of course but have read up on lots of good tips for activities to pack etc. Has anyone else been to Mexico with a small child? Any tips?

Heels99 Thu 09-Jul-15 09:25:11

Think most tourists going to Mexico fly to cancun and holiday on the Caribbean coast rather than central Mexico. I have taken my kids a couple times but they were infant school age rather than toddlers and we were on the coast. It will be very hot! I would head for Coast as soon as possible after wedding so you can do beach type stuff but staying cool will be challenge. See if you can get somewhere with toddler activities e.g sensatori

SJane45S Thu 09-Jul-15 10:30:17

We went on a 2nd honeymoon without kids so can't advice from direct experience but we did a 2 centre trip. Mexico City is worth spending a day or 2 in - it's huge and sprawling but if you have any interest in the Aztecs and Spanish conquest, really interesting. We went onto Cozumel - a small island off Playa del Carmen (v frequent ferries and a short journey). It was beautiful and with a small child it would be great - a lot less mad & far more peaceful than Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Don't be put off by this but we saw a number of tarantula's (one walked over my husband's foot) so something to bear in mind if your daughter is toddling around on the grass. It's a beautiful place - go!!

dontyouknow Thu 09-Jul-15 10:41:24

We went last summer with a 16 month old and a 7 year old. Had a fantastic time.

We flew BA to Cancun. They were really good, we got bulkhead seats with a bouncy chair in front for our son. Coming back he didn't want to sit in it so I had a very hefty toddler on my lap the whole way, which wasn't much fun.

We did an AI on the beach for a fortnight. I've been to Mexico before and travelled round a bit. I'm not sure I would want to travel round with a toddler. I would suggest you stay in one place and use that as a base. We did some day trips to Tulum/Coba and hired a taxi for the day rather than use public transport or doing organised trips - we find this much better with young children as you can stop off when you want and leave when you want. Tulum is really exposed with no shade and we didn't get there early enough so it was baking hot which was a bit of a problem. Coba was much better as there are lots of trees and shade. There were a few water/eco parks that looked really good for a 7 year old but we thought would have been hard work with a toddler so we left them for next time!

Mexico is pretty developed, certainly on the coast where we were. We didn't have any concerns health or hygiene wise, but we have travelled a lot and are probably a bit more laid back than most people. It was really hot so if we were having a beach/pool day we would go back to our room for a break after lunch. None of us got sunburnt or ill. We ate quite a lot of local food - our toddler loved refried beans and tortillas! Lots of factor 50 sunblock and an all in one swimsuit for the toddler.

We've done quite a few long haul trips with our daughter when she was young too and never had any real problems. Off to Thailand in a few weeks time so Mexico has certainly not put us off!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Fri 10-Jul-15 14:36:17

I live in Texas and everyone goes to Mexico for holidays, it's the USA equivalent of a week on the costa del sol.....

Salmiak Fri 10-Jul-15 14:42:38

We took dd to Mexico when she was 18 months. Just prepare for the flight (lots of toys, ipads,etc). It will be fine. Where abouts in central Mexico are you going?

I went pre dc and travelled around through Mexico. The people were all lovely, friendly and helpful wherever we went.

dontyouknow waves hello. I'm taking the dc (5 and 1) to thailand in a few weeks too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now