Talk

Advanced search

What would you like on your airline meal tray?

(35 Posts)
Melissande Wed 01-Jul-15 13:00:03

Just composing an email to an airline to complain about their weird (cheap) choice of food on the tray. And no chocolate. I mean NO Chocolate!!! So give me some ammo, what would be on your ideal airline meal tray?

holeinmyheart Wed 01-Jul-15 18:32:36

A bigger meal for a start. The portions are so small also I don't eat cheese so my husband gets my cheese. I think there should be a second option for non cheese eaters.
Better bread as it usually a white soft tasteless roll.
We had a Thomas Cook meal twice this year so far and we were still hungry. I have asked for seconds before now and sometimes get some. It is always worth asking.

Hulababy Wed 01-Jul-15 18:36:39

More options. And that the veggie option isn't also began!

I don't eat meat (I eat fish but that's not an option) so have to order the veggie option. But that then means no butter, no cheese, no chocolate etc.

I stop making that option something spicy!!!

I very often end up with the bread from dh and dd and their side salad to make a sandwich instead.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 01-Jul-15 18:38:47

It is much cheaper for airlines to have one alternate meal that serves everyone and much easier to serve too as they are often handed out first.

CMOTDibbler Wed 01-Jul-15 18:38:56

Anything edible tbh. I fly a lot, and need a gluten free meal. A recent 'breakfast' was a single rice cake. Nothing to put on it.
Another memorable one was two pots of melon - about 8 cubes in total.

I noticed BA are now letting you upgrade your meal for a fee which is interesting as an idea.

Nydj Wed 01-Jul-15 18:42:21

I am also a vegetarian and would like chocolate; butter to go with bread roll and for food to be seasoned and it mostly tastes really bland.

Blu Wed 01-Jul-15 18:43:09

On short flights, who cares? I would rather they do a choice of two baguettes and fresh fruit than faff about with all that disposable plastic and pretend meals.
Long haul flights are usually much better anyway . Except the budget U.S airlines.
They usually have a snack basket with chocolate and sweet and savoury stuff on long flights .

I can't get worked up about airline food, in the great scheme of things. It's bound to be iffy, pre-prepared, heated in minute kitchen etc.

And I never want to stuff myself when sitting still for hours . Esp with stuff like chocolate that makes melted messy patches on your clothes and melts all over kids hands and the seats .

NotCitrus Wed 01-Jul-15 18:52:43

On short flights, just have what you promise in stock. Aer Lingus had it just about perfect recently - excellent filter coffee, non-longlife muffins made with actual butter, ham+cheese croque monsieur, then various biscuits and crisps and stuff.

They only get 3 muffins per plane of 300 people. So the rest of the family, who all wanted one after I said how good it was, were most miffed. If they'd sold the snacks at the gate so plane staff only had to do tea and coffee once in the air, that would have helped a lot.

Longhaul - the Middle Eastern food seems to survive the conditions best.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 01-Jul-15 18:53:53

It has to taste bland - 200 odd people are eating the exact same thing of all ages and tastes.

MumSnotBU Wed 01-Jul-15 18:59:05

Nothing- I'd rather pay less and eat my own food. Saying that I haven't flown for 16 years so there's probably a rule against taking your own.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 01-Jul-15 19:24:00

You can take your own food, mummy, but it's probably only about £2 per person

Glitteryfrog Wed 01-Jul-15 21:31:27

I quite like the surprise of airline food.
I don't want to know what I'm being served.
I'd like bigger cups of tea though.

Hulababy Wed 01-Jul-15 21:33:33

Short haul, we never order food. Dd sometimes has one of their snack boxes. Me and dh usually just have a drink and a chocolate bar or biscuit.
Or if crossing a proper meal time we will take on a Boots meal deal.

My previous post was more re long haul.

travailtotravel Wed 01-Jul-15 22:54:06

My DH would rather have a sandwich most of the time. I'd like something that didn't involve carbs, tbh. Big salad, for example. The equivalent of a graze box of nuts and lots of fresh fruit. Good yoghurt, not that shite with loads of sugar in.

CakeRattleandRoll Mon 06-Jul-15 07:39:37

YY to bigger cups of tea. Mine is usually gone in 3 mouthfuls.

SJane45S Tue 07-Jul-15 16:35:03

Agree with the other vegetarians - it's pretty dire and usually vegan. Also, the kids meals are usually awful as well - reheated nasty tasting soggy chips.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 08-Jul-15 05:56:40

Years ago was on a domestic flight in US and you picked up a bag at the gate with bottle of water, sandwich and piece of fruit - ideal for a short haul flight. No idea if that still happens.
Get rid of the bread rolls - seem to be made out of cardboard and sugar - just vile. Crackers, butter and cheese is better - although I don't eat cheese. IME rice and pasta is better than potatoes and chips are a no no - just a soggy mess. Singapore airlines serve choc ices or ice creams at the end of the meal which I like.

clarinet9 Wed 08-Jul-15 06:09:16

I think flying affects your taste buds too (as well as your ability to tolerate alcohol i.e. reduces it)

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Wed 08-Jul-15 06:48:38

Never really had a problem with airline food. Unfortunately if you want more choice you need to fly business or first (once got an upgrade to business on Emirates...dear god the food was lovely! smile )

Melissande Fri 10-Jul-15 16:30:36

For the vegetarians , you should have a choice between a vegan (no dairy) and a Vegetarian (will have butter etc and cheese.) I like the Asian Vegetarian choice which is a veg curry with rice, evenfor breakfast..smile

raviolig Sun 12-Jul-15 15:42:43

We have been flying on Turkish airlines a lot recently and I have actually enjoyed the food a couple of times! Tends to be kofte or chicken with spicy rice or couscous, decent salad and an edible pudding! As always it could do with a bit of seasoning but not too bad. I usually make a sandwich with the meat and the roll. The kids meals have been ok too, last time was spaghetti and meatballs which is perfect for my two. I think it is the portion sizes though, fairly generous so you are not starving at the end! I would appreciate bigger coffee cups too. I hate travelling early and ending up with eggs. I am not a fan of eggs, let alone airline ones.

MilkyChops Mon 24-Aug-15 02:10:06

A yogurt, some fresh fruit, some juice and water, a small bar of dark chocolate and a light meal. Nothing too bready/wheaty.

Malaysian airlines i find do a great meal and snacks. KLM however I do not enjoy At all, too sweet. I don't enjoy cake for breakfast.

Finola1step Mon 24-Aug-15 02:19:06

Have just flown BA and was for once, rather impressed. Edible cottage pie, chocolate pudding, ok bread, salmon salad. All good.

I was once given rice cakes for breakfast on an overnight flight to the UK. Effing rice cakes. Yes, Virgin, I do mean you.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 24-Aug-15 03:21:08

I used to fly Bangladesh Biman, the flight was always on really old planes but the food (vegetable curries) was amazing. I've since flown business class on a dozen airlines and nothing beats that Bangladeshi flight.

However, United airlines serves ice cream sundaes. You get a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a choice of hot sauces, cream, fruit etc and it's amazing.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 24-Aug-15 03:23:34

And Heston Blumenthal did a programme about airline food a while back. Apparently our taste buds and sense of smell are less effective at altitude so spicier foods and those with less bland flavours are better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now