Talk

Advanced search

Seaworld San Diego

(32 Posts)
dingit Tue 30-Jun-15 15:16:38

Best to buy tickets in advance or on the gate?

Earlybird Tue 30-Jun-15 15:18:05

Not sure it really matters - unless they've got a deal going.

In advance saves you time queuing, obviously.

ihatethecold Wed 01-Jul-15 18:57:05

Please don't go to Seaworld.

have a search online for the film Blackfish. Its a documentary that is very eye opening.

You will never set foot in a place with dolphins/whales in captivity again.

ImCatbug Wed 01-Jul-15 19:04:16

Best to avoid it altogether and go on a trip to see the animals in the wild.

dingit Wed 01-Jul-15 19:06:26

Too late. Tickets booked, special midweek discount. I've seen before on mn people saying don't go. But they do a lot of research and rescues.

meglet Wed 01-Jul-15 19:10:40

don't go to seaworld.

watch Blackfish, it's horrific - for the poor Orcas and staff.

lljkk Wed 01-Jul-15 19:21:49

I was gonna say in advance, get the annual pass actually if you are a while in the area, it can cost as little as a day ticket.

You may need ID to use the online tickets, and certainly for annual pass.

Sea turtles are my favourite exhibit.

ihatethecold Wed 01-Jul-15 19:24:53

I think I'm 20 years time, hopefully sooner we will see an end to these places.
We will look back in horror that we spent our money supporting these places.

dingit Wed 01-Jul-15 19:26:05

We only have time for one visit, we need to show the credit card we paid with.
Wish I hadn't read the blackfish reviews on Amazon hmm

Georgethesecond Wed 01-Jul-15 19:28:27

We loved Sea world! Loved it.
Had a fantastic day - get there as it opens would be my top tip.
(Sorry.)

CatMilkMan Wed 01-Jul-15 19:28:41

I know it's too late now op but "they do a lot of research and rescues" is a terrible excuse to go. They are utterly vile and everyone that supports them are to blame as well.

lljkk Wed 01-Jul-15 19:39:00

your kids will love it.
Make sure to feed the dolphins.

It is known as Whale Jail locally.

ihatethecold Fri 03-Jul-15 22:51:50

Exactly!!

SunshineAndShadows Fri 03-Jul-15 23:03:34

The % of profit they invest in conservation is negligible. The number of sealions/seals they rehab is less than the RSPCA, and they manage to do their work without tearing animals from the wild, separating them from their families and confining them in tanks.

There is no reasonable conservation or welfare reason for maintaining cetaceans in captivity, they suffer severe health and behavioural problems, die younger and reproduce poorly - hence the need to pull more from their wild families, to generate the cash you're paying to see them.

You're children will see majestic animals reduced to performing circus tricks - it's hardly educational.

floatyflo Fri 03-Jul-15 23:10:00

Best to get a refund and not go at all.

<helpful> grin

Ludways Fri 03-Jul-15 23:17:40

I went in 1984 and loved it, I was only 17 and believed the hype about them helping in research and conservation, as an adult woman with access to the right information and a conscience, I couldn't go back.

PosterEh Fri 03-Jul-15 23:21:46

I wouldn't go at all.

JoanCallamezzo Sat 04-Jul-15 18:13:29

Don't go. There's so much more to do in San Diego than hideous SeaWorld.

Much better to do a whale watching trip on the ocean (probably cheaper too) we saw humpback whales and approx 3,000 dolphins and DD (then aged 8) and I both cried, it was so amazing and we still talk about it 2 years later. Also loads of fantastic aquariums in California that teach about preserving the oceans etc - I'd so much rather that was the message my children got about these amazing creatures than seeing them in captivity having to perform tricks.

JoanCallamezzo Sat 04-Jul-15 18:14:18

And definitely watch Blackfish.

GinUpGirl Sat 04-Jul-15 18:15:19

I went in 2003. Had an excellent time.

We've had fun on the whale watching trips, never seen whales but YYYY on the millions of dolphins jumping and swimming.

If you have to go see animals we have a world famous zoo (I don't do that either, but I would do it before Seaworld), we have a safari park also. If you have to go see sea animals then I would recommend Birch Aquarium, the jellyfish are really good.

lljkk Sat 04-Jul-15 20:15:13

I think whale watching is poor value in summer in SD, the grays migration is mostly Jan-June and again Sep-December.

yes but the dolphins totally made up for it.

www.thedodo.com/recently-spotted-103-year-old--547381307.html?xrs=RebelMouse_fb#

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now