Talk

Advanced search

If you've done disneyworld many times how do you keep it exciting?

(43 Posts)
prepperpig Mon 29-Jun-15 09:10:43

We've been to disneyworld three times, the first when the DCs were only very little, they are now 10 and 8.

We are toying with the idea of one last trip, partly because I have business in Florida anyway. DH is concerned that it will be a bit of a damp squib because we've already been three times (last time we split it 10 days disney 3 days universal).

If you've been lots of times how do you keep it fun and exciting?

Seriouslyffs Mon 29-Jun-15 09:15:38

biscuit

prepperpig Mon 29-Jun-15 09:17:30

Oh come off it. Why the biscuit? Lots of disney people do it many times.

Mrscog Mon 29-Jun-15 09:18:15

Are your DCs keen? Could you do a different type of Florida holiday instead - more pool/beach with just one theme park. Are there other attractions you've not made it to before like the space centre?

I'm no expert as I've never been but all of these things spring to mind.

PandasRock Mon 29-Jun-15 09:18:36

Find new things to do. Even with 3 visits you cannot have done it all.

We are booked for our third trip, and I have already had to shelve thugs as we still won't have time to get round to them, once doing old favourites and new must try's are factored in.

There is so much more than just the rides, with the Agent Perry missions at Epcot, or the Kingdom Keepers quest at Magic Kingdom. Or the sorceror trading card game (can't remember what it's called). Explore the resorts and see what they have to offer, eat in a new place. See if there is a tour suitable for your family. Spend a day looking for hidden mickeys rather than queuing for rides. Go at a different time of year (if possible) as this will bring new experiences - eg Flower festival at Epcot, or the Food & Wine festival etc.

ZaZathecat Mon 29-Jun-15 09:18:56

If I needed to 'keep it fun and exciting' I wouldn't go! We are going for the first time this year with out teen dc and I hope it will live up to our expectations as it is one hell of an investment!

WellErrr Mon 29-Jun-15 09:19:08

This thread title is the definition of a First World Problem.

Mrscog Mon 29-Jun-15 09:19:20

And I wasn't going to post but seriouslys biscuit pissed me off on your behalf!

PandasRock Mon 29-Jun-15 09:20:01

But yes, I would agree that if may e you are all getting a bit bored with it, then maybe plan a different holiday.

pictish Mon 29-Jun-15 09:20:08

You must confess OP, it reads like a princess's problem doesn't it? grin

pictish Mon 29-Jun-15 09:21:07

P.s I laughed anyway. Sorry.

prepperpig Mon 29-Jun-15 09:21:26

DCs are desperate to go again. DH not keen. I think disney do things incredibly well and like the fact that its an easy holiday (which doest actually cost that much more than a fortnight in italy) but agree with DH to an extent.

We've done discovery cove, sea world, cirque etc. Haven't done the space centre yet and that would definitely be on the list.

Mrscog Mon 29-Jun-15 09:22:34

Why all the critique of the OP's question? I'm sure she'd say herself its a very fortunate position/first world problem, this isn't AIBU, it's the longhaul travel section.

WorraLiberty Mon 29-Jun-15 09:22:44

If you have to ask how to keep Disneyworld exciting for 8 and 10yr old kids, it means they've outgrown it or just got bored. No point in taking them really.

Seriouslyffs Mon 29-Jun-15 09:24:02

If DH isn't keen can you take another relative or friend or go at a different time of year?

PotteringAlong Mon 29-Jun-15 09:24:30

Of all the awesome things to see in the world, you want to go to disney 4 times? I agree, if you're asking how to make it exciting it's time to go somewhere else.

Heels99 Mon 29-Jun-15 09:27:08

Go somewhere else. The world is a big place no need to keep going on the same holiday whether it be disney or Bognor. If it makes financial sense to go to Florida as you are there for business, then I would forget the theme parks or just do a day or two of favourite highlights. I would do a couple of different places in the Florida keys, or some of the beaches eg. St Petes, Clearwater, sanibel Island , or Everglades or I would do Miami. Or I would do a week Florida a week cruise. Or fly from Miami to the Caribbean. Lots of options.

prepperpig Mon 29-Jun-15 09:27:24

Yes of course its a first world problem but its still an issue I'm trying to resolve and hence I asked for opinions. I fully appreciate that we're very lucky. Part of the reason for asking is that it isn't cheap (although as I've said it works out no more expensive than a fortnight in italy).

The DCs aren't bored at all - it's more that DH and I are!

prepperpig Mon 29-Jun-15 09:30:14

Pottering part of the reason this is coming up is that we had said that now that Ds2 is 8 we were going to show them more of the world and stop doing "package" holidays. We were supposed to be touring Tunisia but cancelled that when the museum shootings took place, we are doing pompeii etc in the summer. The problem is that so much of the world is difficult at the moment and DS2 still has a relatively short attention span.

Floralnomad Mon 29-Jun-15 09:30:25

We have done Disney lots of times , I don't feel the need for my dc to be excited I just want everybody to have a lovely holiday .That said my dc ( who are now teen and an adult) were never the type to get 'excited' about a holiday in the first place .

littleostrich Mon 29-Jun-15 09:32:15

If your DC want to go, why not ask them for a list of their 'must do' things? They probably have their favourite parks / attractions and you may actually spoil their enjoyment more by trying to make things different. I went to Florida every few years throughout my childhood and I would always get so excited about doing my favourite rides again - if my parents had said we weren't going to do them in order to keep things fresh I would have been very disappointed! Definitely look out for new things you haven't done before (I'm 29 now, I still go and still haven't seen everything) but don't forget about the reasons your kids love it.

Seriouslyffs Mon 29-Jun-15 09:32:25

Ok I'll bite. Italy- short haul, fantastic food, climate, safe, cradle of western civilisation and home to more unesco sights and wonders of the world than you can shake a stick at. You couldn't choose a less appropriate benchmark for a Florida holiday!

daydreamnation Mon 29-Jun-15 09:33:21

I had to chuckle at the phrase 'princess problem' grin
I too would suggest that the obvious solution is to go somewhere else!!! Mind you I'm just envious, I'm currently contemplating cancelling our very lovely but cheap holiday to Norfolk as dp has been made redundant sad

Tory79 Mon 29-Jun-15 09:34:00

Space centre is fab. Have you been to Busch gardens? Sea world? The water parks? Trip down to the Everglades?

We're going for our 9th trip this year, we're going in December so we get to see all the Christmas stuff which will be a first, i can't wait! Dh and I are excited every time we go smile

littleostrich Mon 29-Jun-15 09:34:08

Cross post, sorry - just saw your post about the excitement being more for you and DH than the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now