Talk

Advanced search

2 extra nights in California - where?!

(8 Posts)
RosieLig Sat 27-Jun-15 15:46:45

This is our original itinerary. We now have 2 extra nights and I'm not sure where to add them in. Maybe Big Sur, Sequioa or Yosemite? Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

4 nights SF
3 nights Pacific Grove
1 (or 2 nights) Big Sur
2 nights Pismo Beach
2 (or 3 nights) Sequioa
2 nights Yosemite
3 nights guided backpack tour
1 night gold country

GinUpGirl Sat 27-Jun-15 15:48:13

Came on to say Pismo Beach. Spent 5 summers there is the 80s. Definition of summer in the US, imo. Make sure you have seafood!

babymouse Sat 27-Jun-15 15:53:28

When are you going? That could effect the recommendations.

RosieLig Sat 27-Jun-15 16:13:19

Hi, mid July to early August next year. Thanks!

babymouse Sat 27-Jun-15 16:46:32

Big Sur is fantastic - given the time of year you are going I'd add a day there as driving down might be a bit slow given all the tourist traffic and taking breaks along the way will keep it enjoyable.

Sequoia is ok - but I'd add another beach day. The coast is so lovely that time of year and the June gloom will hopefully be long gone by the time you arrive.

RosieLig Sun 28-Jun-15 20:27:57

Thank you! Maybe an extra night in Big Sur and another in Pismo beach then?

imonaplane Fri 03-Jul-15 12:02:39

Pismo Beach is lovely - can recommend the Lighthouse Suites and Carmel is well worth a visit but a bit pricey.

I'd add a night in Big Sur. We like the black beach at Cambria, rock hunting in Jade cove and both sides of Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park, we have picnicked, hiked and played in the stream on the inland side (parking can get busy). We also love Pfeiffer Beach.

Bear in mind anything north of about Santa Barbara is cold water and not nearly as fun to play in if you like being in the water.

Santa Barbara might be a fun stop if you are willing to drive that far. You can go to solvang and eat danish pastries and there is wine tasting and a lavender farm.

Alternatively what about adding a day or two in Sonoma or Napa? They are lovely areas with fun stuff to do.

I'm not a big fan of Pismo Beach. Been to that area a couple of times and don't see what the draw is except it is fun driving on the sand, but car rental companies may not allow you to do that. My kids love the garlic oysters on the seafront in Morro Bay.

Madonna Inn is a must see in SLOtown, it is just so crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now