Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Surviving the flight to New Zealand

(30 Posts)
bigTillyMint Tue 23-Jun-15 15:43:17

We are off to NZ in 4 weeks with our 14 and 16 yo's. The last time we went was 15 years ago and I barely slept so I am dreading it.

Any top tips, including meds, for getting a bit of sleep on the journey?

ShiftyFades Wed 24-Jun-15 13:46:46

I can't help I'm afraid, I did Singapore 10 years ago, I was going out of my mind within 30mins gringrin

Take a book, watch the films and use ear plugs

youngestisapyscho Wed 24-Jun-15 14:24:54

First time I flew to NZ in 1999, DH went straight to sleep, all the lights were off for night flight but I could not sleep... I think I cried most of the 12hr journey, in between short naps and him snoring! When we stopped in Singapore for a break I refused to get back on the plane... he went off and bought sleeping pills for me and practically had to drag me back on the plane!
Next time we went was with 6 month old baby so was quite occupied and it was not so bad... we are going in February with 9 and 13 yr olds and I'm dreading it!

youngestisapyscho Wed 24-Jun-15 14:25:32

and that was no help to you really, was it?!

specialsubject Wed 24-Jun-15 15:07:17

don't drug up, DVT risk.

accept you won't sleep much and will arrive wrecked. You also have a big time difference to deal with so will be even more wrecked.

kids are old enough to look after themselves within reason so take some books/e reader, plug into the movies and endure.

oh, take a big empty water bottle through security and fill up airside. Get up and move around every hour or so.

bigTillyMint Wed 24-Jun-15 15:57:27

Youngest, actually it was - we are changing over in Singapore, so hopefully I can do the same as your DH if needs be!

Though on reading SS's post, maybe notsad

specialsubject Wed 24-Jun-15 16:07:11

if you have reasonable time in Singapore it is a great airport (contradiction in terms, I know!) Swimming pool, butterfly garden, great food and so on. How long is the stopover?

bigTillyMint Wed 24-Jun-15 16:20:50

That sounds fab but I think it's only a couple or three hours - DH did the booking - so probably not enough time for that?

specialsubject Wed 24-Jun-15 17:11:34

should be time at least for a leg stretcher - which is essential on these marathon trips. Resist the free lounge areas and go for a walk and explore round the airport; if nothing else it will clear your heads for leg 2.

and to refill those water bottles; just find the nearest tap, water in Singapore is drinkable. Last time I was there they even had water fountains at the departure gates and encouraged you to use them.

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Jun-15 13:30:21

Thanks, Special - DH will love the idea of getting free water!

youngestisapyscho Fri 26-Jun-15 13:33:42

As your kids are older, you could probably put an eye mask on and sit back and relax knowing you don't need to do anything for them?

Biscetti Fri 26-Jun-15 13:38:56

Yep, agree Singapore is a great stopover. I almost always go via there. Night fight from UK, eating first meal and then tired enough for a few hours sleep, swim and light meal in Singapore, then snooze in final leg. Generally arrive at Breakfast time in Aus/NZ. First day is not too bad, but will crash around 8.

Never had a particular issue with jet lag either way. I always time the flights so we arrive at final destination 6am - 9am regardless of East/west flight.

BabyGanoush Fri 26-Jun-15 13:45:36

done that a few times. Just take it one hour at a time.

Don't drug up or drink alcohol, keep hydrated, wear comfortable clothes (no jeans, nothing that digs ins, I prefer cotton top and harem pants), bring ear plugs, music (I like listening to whole operas with headphones), watch films/read book.

Don't expect to sleep. Nothing bad will happen if you skip a night's sleep, you'll catch up when you get there.

bring some nice treats food wise (bag of your favourite sweets, sod diets/healthy eating).

I always bring my fave scarf sprayed with my favourite perfume (so I can inhale the scent, I hate how planes smell after a few hours).

Small things like that.

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Jun-15 13:54:05

Biscetti, I think our flights leave UK in the evening? We definitely arrive about 10pm in Auckland, so I'm hoping to crash into the bed!

Thanks for the tips - we have done a few 12 hour flights, but this time we will be getting back onto another plane after the first 12 hours!

youngestisapyscho Fri 26-Jun-15 13:57:05

We are going via HK.. there is only 1hr 35 mins between our flights... do they let you off the plane?

youngestisapyscho Fri 26-Jun-15 13:58:30

If you leave UK at night and only have a short stopover, you should land in Auckland in the morning... we land at 9.40am Sunday morning, after taking off at 20.40 on Friday night.

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Jun-15 13:59:43

youngest, we only have a couple or 3 hours between flights too. Maybe we go in the morning thenconfused I will have to check with DH!

Biscetti Fri 26-Jun-15 14:09:29

We always fly out between 21:30 & 23:00, heading to Aus/NZ. Arrival is generally between 6 and 9am. Pretty similar dep/arrival times coming back too.

Tried and tested over 25 years, and doesn't leave us fucked for a few days.

imustbepatient Fri 26-Jun-15 14:31:30

Great advice here already. A few I would add are:

Pack (security permitted) toiletries and hair brush etc so you can freshen up during the flight and in the lounges. Face wipes and some nice refershing moisturisers are great for this.

Get a kindle / similar if you don't have one already! Load it with books galore.

Pack an eye mask you can sleep or at least rest without being disturbed by people putting on night lights or playing with the damn window blinds.

Pack thick socks in case the plane gets cold. And don't wear tight shoes or you'll never get them back on again if you take them off for comfort...

Try to keep your hand luggage smallish and light, or you will hate lugging it around plus you'll never be able to find anything in the dark in a cramped plane if you have too much packed

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Jun-15 14:45:43

Ah, DH says we leave 11.30am, arrive 10.30pm the next day.

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Jun-15 14:48:19

Yes, I have a Kindle which I always take on holiday, have an eye mask... Good point about not finding anything in the dark in a cramped plane!

youngestisapyscho Fri 26-Jun-15 14:49:38

OK, you prob wont be wanting to sleep then... make the most of the films and stuff.... 2nd leg of flight you will be ready to sleep.

slug Fri 26-Jun-15 14:49:59

One word...audiobooks

FiveHoursSleep Fri 26-Jun-15 14:50:52

You'll be fine. Last time we went back we had a 8 week old, a 2 year old, a 4 year old and a 6 year old.
Most of the time we had at least two children wanting something.
Always take a change of clothes in your carryon.

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Jun-15 15:07:25

And only 1hr 20 changeover, youngestshock It must be getting off the plane, as first leg is Singapore Airlines and second leg is Air NZ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now