Talk

Advanced search

Disney Villa vs off site hotel?

(9 Posts)
MozzchopsThirty Tue 16-Jun-15 21:44:02

I may have to re think my next Disney trip.
I can save about £600 by staying in an off site hotel instead of a villa.

It will only be me and the dcs, so I don't really need the privacy of a villa and we will still have car hire.

Am I making a huge mistake?? How was your hotel stay?

budgiegirl Tue 16-Jun-15 22:30:39

We've been to Orlando three times over the years, the first two times we stayed in a villa, the third time we stayed in a suite hotel.

I will never go back to a villa! They were lovely, but I still ended up making beds, tidying up, making breakfast, sweeping floors etc. at least in a hotel, someone else makes the bed and hoovers the floor .

If breakfast is included, it can save quite a bit of money as well, as we ended up having a big breakfast, and not really needing much lunch.

Also, depending on the hotel and location, you may not need a car, as many hotels have free shuttles to the theme parks, and may be within walking distance to restaurants in the evening. Villa stays almost always require a car .

We are going again next year, and have already booked our hotel. You do sacrifice space , but I found hotels to be cheaper and more convenient .

MozzchopsThirty Tue 16-Jun-15 22:46:56

Thanks budgie that's what I was hoping.

I also felt that I was washing, drying, making beds in the villa, it was lovely but I would like to not do these things.
I didn't cook once so the kitchen was wasted.
The car hire is free so I'd take it.

I think a villa is worth it if money is no object, you're a big group, or with your partner and need your own room but sharing with the dcs for 2 weeks is no biggie for me smile
Thanks for that

MozzchopsThirty Tue 16-Jun-15 22:47:53

Also where did you stay?/are you staying?

budgiegirl Wed 17-Jun-15 08:31:14

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista. We needed a suite hotel, as there are 5 of us, so this gave us a bedroom with two double beds, plus a separate lounge with a sofa bed.
It was clean, comfortable, and the breakfast was great. The pool was lovely. They do a managers reception in the early evening, which is basically free beer/wine/cocktail / slushies for the kids and snacks.

The location was great for both Disney and universal if you have a car, as you can drive up the back roads which is much quicker . It was a bit too far from restaurants to walk, but no problem if you've got the car.

There was also a restaurant on site and a pizza express if you're too tired to go out some evenings (especially after the free drinkswink

Next time we are staying at Springhill suites Seaworld, because if it's location - we are only going to seaworld, Aquatica and Discovery Cove this time round.

Otherwise, I'd definitely stay at the embassy suites Lake Buenavista again. But shop around to get a good price.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 17-Jun-15 08:57:39

Breakfast at that chain is included as part of the room rate.

There's also a couple of Embassy Suites along I Drive and both of these are near restaurants and the I Ride trolley stops as well.

Reiltin Wed 17-Jun-15 09:09:03

I haven't visited Disney but my advice is general. With a hotel room, depending on the age of your kids, you may be stuck sitting in the dark each evening while they sleep. We have a young 'un so a villa with separate sitting room makes a huge difference to our evening. Or a hotel suite would also work. Just a thought

budgiegirl Wed 17-Jun-15 09:30:29

That's true Reiltin, having a hotel suite rather than just a room does help with this. Although we found that due to jetlag and long hours at the parks, we were going to bed at the same time as the kids !

MozzchopsThirty Wed 17-Jun-15 20:39:51

I'm not too worried about them sleeping and me wanting to stay up, after a day at Disney it's pretty much the other way around grin

I'll take a look at embassy suites thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now