Talk

Advanced search

Virgin in flight meals and kids

(11 Posts)
dingit Fri 12-Jun-15 09:14:51

Anyone know what they are like ( it's 6 years since I've flown with them)?
I have a very fussy ds (13). I'm not sure if I should order him a kids meal or not. 13 hour flight, so don't want to leave him hungry, although I will take snacks I know he likes.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Jun-15 09:38:01

I would not rely on them at all to fully provide re meals.

Meals for children on airlines can be a bit meh generally (they can be too hot and salty as well as looking unappetising); also these are served only a short time before the adult meals are brought round.

I would certainly take along with you the foodstuffs that he does like. (Do leave any uneaten fruit behind on the aircraft).

MissBattleaxe Fri 12-Jun-15 09:39:10

We are flying soon and I would also like to read any good advice regarding this.

Heels99 Fri 12-Jun-15 09:41:00

Just flew Virgin had kids meals for my kids they were practically same as adult meals they just got them quicker. Food was pretty dire but we always eat before we board. We did eat the chocolate pudding and crackers we didn't bother with the cold greasy pasta salad starter or the unappetising main course. Lots of over cooked mushy broccoli on the kids meal. But we were economy.
Take snacks and eat before you board is my advice.

Shakey1500 Fri 12-Jun-15 09:42:02

We flew Virgin from UK to California with DS (7) who's also a fussy eater. Ordered the kids meal which was a pasta dish. It was ok, not fabulous but ok and he ate most of it. I'd definitely order one, or even an adult one. It's a hellish long time. There's plenty of snacks/drinks on offer besides the hot meals as well. So much so I found it hard to sleep there were that many interruptions!

Penfold007 Fri 12-Jun-15 09:44:56

Surely a 13 year old will need an adults meal.

HeadDreamer Fri 12-Jun-15 09:47:51

I think you will need an adults meal too. I can't remember virgin as it was pre children I flown with them to Las Vegas. You can't not eat on a 9 hour flight. And children's meals are from 2 year olds and over. No way that would be enough for a teen!

UnspecialSnowflake Fri 12-Jun-15 09:49:29

We stopped ordering the kids meal for DD on Virgin flights because it was so awful. Soggy potato wedges and nuggets with cake and Haribo, the only part she would eat was the cake. We now order an adult meal and take a packed lunch as well.

Also there never seemed to be any choice with the kids meal whereas the adult meal usually has three options (so long as they haven't run out of one) which is better for picky eaters.

If I was you I'd go for the adult meal and bring some backup snacks in case she doesn't like any of it.

HermioneWeasley Fri 12-Jun-15 09:53:15

Flew to the states with them earlier this year. They didn't provide kids meals on way out despite being booked, and did in the way back despite us not booking. DD hated both.

Take your own food!

dingit Fri 12-Jun-15 10:12:37

Thanks everyone. I think I will stick with adults meal, and take snacks. I know he won't starve, but there nothing worse than a hungry tired grumpy teen smile ( apart from tired grumpy dh when we get there, thank god we aren't picking up our car straight off!)

cdtaylornats Sat 20-Jun-15 10:30:20

A very experienced traveller once told me the way to get reasonable food on an airline was to order something out of the ordinary - either a dietary meal or his favourite was a kosher meal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now