Talk

Advanced search

Florida - when to go?

(16 Posts)
BooChunky Tue 26-May-15 20:22:27

When is the absolute quietest time to go? (If not restricted by school holidays)

I've been twice in October but last year seemed to coincide with an American week off and it was madness.

Google has given me about 10 different answers!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 26-May-15 20:23:55

Ive only been once - the Christmas and New Year fortnight and it was amazing! Barely any queues. Massive firework displays on Christmas Day night and NYE.

Amazing!

mrsnec Tue 26-May-15 20:37:33

We went over thanksgiving once. Queues were massive and even with fast passes I missed out on loads of the rides I wanted to go on.

My inlaws always go this time of year and weather always seems iffy but they never find anywhere crowded. If I ever went again I think I'd consider Just after easter.

jimijack Tue 26-May-15 20:44:53

Not in July/Aug.... 2/3 hour queues in 40 degree heat, ruined it for us. Massive crowds of school kids, all wearing matching tops, presuming they were all together. Laterally hundreds of them in front of you for every ride/show.

We have been April, October, November, always ok at those times.

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 26-May-15 21:03:18

The quietest time we've ever been was January. Even the plane was virtually empty.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 26-May-15 21:47:28

Beginning of December tends to be quieter in terms of visitor numbers as well.

BooChunky Wed 27-May-15 13:49:52

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking early December or early January then, is it still warm?

Sunny20 Wed 27-May-15 13:56:24

Been January and it was cold hmmso now always stick to September, bring on this September! grin

prepperpig Wed 27-May-15 13:56:37

You must have ben unlucky with your october timings, its generally one of the best and quietest times to go. If you look up the rack rates of the onsite disney hotels it tells you when their low periods are for each year.

ltk Wed 27-May-15 13:57:12

January/February. Warm but not hot and fairly quiet.

Sunny20 Wed 27-May-15 13:57:51

Oh & yes October and November are fairly quiet and nice weather, just try not to time it too close to Thanksgiving

BooChunky Wed 27-May-15 16:49:04

The first time I went in October it was really quiet, but last year I went from 27th Sept - 12th Oct and it was manic the second week, some kind of school holiday and queues for hours.

SenecaFalls Wed 27-May-15 20:27:05

There's no regularly scheduled holiday in October in most US schools so I'm not sure what you encountered, OP. There is a long weekend (Monday holiday) for Columbus Day, but the only longer autumn holiday is the Thanksgiving holiday in November.

There is no way to know what the weather will be like in January. We (I live in Florida, not too far from Disney) sometimes have warmish weather, but we have also had really cold spells during this time.

High summer at Disney is my idea of hell on earth. Extreme heat plus crowds equals misery, as far as I'm concerned. My favorite time of year in Florida is early spring.

budgiegirl Sun 31-May-15 15:36:14

We have always gone in October and found it to be quiet, except one week that coincided with Jersey Week, when all the schools in New Jersey were on holiday.

HelloIAmBaymax Sun 31-May-15 19:54:40

If you're not restricted to school holidays, early May or September are good times to visit. December is a great time to go, but the rare cold weather can ruin it a little.

Lordofmyflies Sun 31-May-15 22:04:23

We've gone last week of August / first week September before and it was very quiet. U.S. School tend to go back mid August and it cools down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now