Anyone taken dc to Bali & what immunisations?

(9 Posts)
Cornonthecob Wed 20-May-15 19:46:13

On the Masta website the following are
RecommendedDiphtheria , Tetanus , Hepatitis A , Typhoid Fever
To Be ConsideredHepatitis B , Rabies , Cholera , Japanese Encephalitis (JE) , Tuberculosis (TB)

Seems like a lot! I can't remember when DH and I went pre dc what we had?

Thanks

dementedpixie Wed 20-May-15 19:56:20

We are going to the Dominican Republic and the dc's had to get hepatitis A and typhoid injections. They didn't need the dyptheria or tetanus as they had had that booster within the last 10 years.

Dh and I had to get the tetanus/dyptheria/polio 3 in 1 booster as we hadn't had it in the last 10 years.

We all need malaria tablets too.

I would ask your surgery whether someone runs a travel clinic as they will research what jabs you need and arrange the prescriptions. It was the nurse that sorted ours out

dementedpixie Wed 20-May-15 19:57:39

plus dh and I had to get the hep A and typhoid ones too - 3 jags for dh/me and 2 jags for the kids (age 8 and 11)

lk26 Wed 20-May-15 19:59:06

I took my daughter to Bali 7 yrs ago and we had no jabs !!
I had regular tetanus jabs any way for work but that's it.
We survived. Have a great holiday. It's a fab place.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 20-May-15 20:02:07

I took dd to Bali 13 years ago, neither of us had any vax.

Cornonthecob Wed 20-May-15 21:48:34

Great thanks, hoping not to have any if we can help it!

Sidge Wed 20-May-15 21:54:12

I do travel clinics at work. (Practice nurse)

I would strongly recommend Hep A. Kids should be in date for diphtheria, tetanus and polio but if you're not get a booster, as tetanus immunoglobulin can be hard to get in some countries should you have an injury requiring it.

Typhoid probably unnecessary if you stick to safe water. Be very careful of animal contacts, recent update for Bali says very limited availability of post exposure rabies immunoglobulins and recent reporting of rabies cases in dogs.

No need for antimalarials on Bali but they are advised if you pop over to Lombok.

Cornonthecob Thu 21-May-15 11:25:21

Thank you sidge very useful

specialsubject Sat 23-May-15 14:21:21

kids should have had most of those anyway. Stay away from ALL mammals.

24/7 DEET too due to dengue risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now