Talk

Advanced search

Long haul summer holiday!

(8 Posts)
pyg Wed 13-May-15 21:30:04

Hi mumsnetters! We are planning to use airmiles to go somewhere further afield for our family holiday next summer (2016). Our 3 DCs will be 13/12/7. Would love some recommendations as to where where to go that will be a good combination of active & relaxing...sunshine is a must! Safari would be great but don't think August is right time? Possibly US? Some advice would be fab thanks so much.

mummymeister Thu 14-May-15 14:06:58

We went to the west coast of Canada for 3 weeks with our 3 and it was fab. stayed in 4 different places including Vancouver, the rockies, jasper and golden. lots of active bits, lovely scenery and walks, mountain biking if you wanted. pm me for more details. would have said Belize but august is not the best time to go to this part of the world.

dailyfix Thu 14-May-15 15:55:28

Are they Avios?
I've rarely been successful in securing long haul flights in the summer holidays using them.
Just to warn you.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 14-May-15 18:28:49

I have encountered similar problems to dailyfix re redemption.

Avios points can be very difficult to redeem as flight availability (particularly for many long haul destinations) is either very limited or non existent.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 15-May-15 01:22:37

Malaysuan Borneo will be sunny and dry then. You can hike in national parks, go kayaking, visit long houses and three are some lovely beaches there. Also the wildlife is great - monkeys, orang utans.

ihatethecold Fri 15-May-15 12:15:32

Hi Op,
My thread asking for help is a couple down from yours on the longhaul page.
there are lots of ideas on there.
we have decided on Koh Samui in Thailand.
weather will be good, cheaper than mauritius.
we were told canada flights would be £1k each because its high season there in our summer.

Yeesss Sun 31-May-15 21:48:39

Late July / early August is a great time for a safari in Kenya as it is during the Wilderbeast migrations. It's on the equator so the weather is great all year round.

If you fancy some beach time head to Zanzibar after your safari.

ipadmad Sun 28-Jun-15 20:53:43

Great time to go on safari but your options may be limited with airmiles on a safari. I would get a cheap flight to Malaysia/Borneo and use your avios on hotels rather than flights - much easier to spend them that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now