Talk

Advanced search

Help please. we really want a gorgeous beach holiday long haul in july /august but everywhere shows dodgy weather.

(150 Posts)
ihatethecold Sat 09-May-15 16:33:34

This is the only time we can go due to school hols and exams.
Mexico looks rainy,
Mauritius poss a bit chilly and windy.
Florida looks boiling hot!

Poss Koh Samui will be dry?

I'm driving myself nuts trying to organise this.
We are going for a special occasion so we want to go long haul and have a budget of about 6K for 4 of us.

please help me!

bigTillyMint Sat 09-May-15 16:36:43

We went to Nicaragua and Costa Rica last summer and had a fantastic holiday travelling with our teens. Not blisteringly hot like Sharm where we had a great AI holiday a previous year and not as cheap, but it was a great holidaysmile

VixxFace Sat 09-May-15 16:37:27

Cuba

GozerTheGozerian Sat 09-May-15 16:39:12

Bali?

TravellingToad Sat 09-May-15 16:39:26

I went to Mexico middle of July for my honeymoon. Weather was perfect, we were there for 2 weeks and any rain dries up within minutes, it doesn't ruin it at all. I would be happy to go in july again.

Madamecastafiore Sat 09-May-15 16:41:40

Mauritius is fab. Depends what side of island you go to as to whether it's windy or not.

ihatethecold Sat 09-May-15 16:44:58

Thank you everyone.
where in Mauritius, east or west?

I would also really like to know about the Costa Rica holiday please.

Bali is too far.

Mexico would be mid to late july, when the kids break up, the more i read about it, the more I'm concerned about wasting 6k.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 09-May-15 16:47:06

Samui will be dry in July and we have just taken 20% off our villa's nightly rate, pm me for info....

ihatethecold Sat 09-May-15 16:47:10

sorry Vixx, didn't mean to ignore your reply.
Im not keen on Cuba.

ihatethecold Sat 09-May-15 16:50:08

wow, your villa looks amazing.
This would be for 2016, I'm that sad I'm planning already cos i need to save like crazy!

AtomicDog Sat 09-May-15 16:50:32

May I ask where you're obtaining such long range forecasts from?
Bali is Fab btw, not much longer than Thailand

QueenJuggler Sat 09-May-15 16:51:27

That's the middle of monsoon season for a LOT of Asia. You would be risking downpours on a daily basis almost everywhere. Anywhere where it isn't monsoon tends to be blisteringly hot at that time of year.

It's also hurricane season for Florida and most of the Caribbean.

There's a reason that a lot of long-haul destinations are winter sun places - and it's not just that everywhere else is cold in winter.

IMO your money would be far better spent on an AMAZING European break.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 09-May-15 16:52:41

I think it's more about avoiding rainy seasons, like you know January in Scotland will be cold. Samui is reliably rainy in May and November...

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 09-May-15 16:54:46

Have a think, I'm already discussing bookings in 2016 so you're not too early. There is a deposit on booking but the balance is due 30 days before your stay.....

ihatethecold Sat 09-May-15 16:56:04

atomic, I'm just searching online for generic weather for places in July /august.

Queen. I want to be on an amazing white beach with see through sea!
but i know you're right.

Koh Samui might be an option.

Bali is 17 hours. i'm counting the minutes after 2 hours blush

homebythesea Sat 09-May-15 16:58:29

California every time. Guaranteed weather not too hot loads to do beautiful beaches lots of great accommodation etc etc

QueenJuggler Sat 09-May-15 17:01:23

The monsoons in Thailand (and a lot of Asia) have been increasingly hard to predict over the last few years (speaks from bitter experience have just come home after 5 years living in Thailand). If its a holiday of a lifetime, I reckon its a bit of a risk. Samui is lovely, though, my favourite one of the big islands. And is the one with the best chance of being dry. If you would prefer a hotel on Samui, PM me, I can give you a few recommendations.

Personally, I'd plump for somewhere in Greece if you want amazing beaches with reliably good weather and amazing seas. Or Sardinia. Or even bits of Italy. But I have low tolerance for monsoon season now!

Trills Sat 09-May-15 17:02:16

I agree with QueenJuggler - if I wanted a hot holiday in July or August I would just go to Greece or similar.

QueenJuggler Sat 09-May-15 17:02:24

Slightly left field, but Hawaii might be worth checking out. I think it's dry at that time of year.

dailyfix Sat 09-May-15 17:07:29

We've done lots of 'don't go because of the weather' holidays in August.
St Lucia was great, direct flight, the odd shower mostly at night but bags of sunshine.

The Grenadines are just gorgeous but a bit of a trek (change planes in Barbados)

Mauritius we've done 4 times. It's not cold, more like a lovely summers day in the UK. The advantage of this is that we could get out & about and also play lots of sport without getting overheated.

Krabi & the islands actually took the longest; 24 hours door to door & was grim. Worth it though when we got there.

Please don't be put off.

QueenJuggler Sat 09-May-15 17:09:16

dailyfix - this is a holiday for a special occasion, though. I've done tonnes of OOS holidays, and you can be blasé when its not something out of the ordinary. When its clearly something special, though, well, the risk factor is much more important

QueenJuggler Sat 09-May-15 17:10:57

Krabi is absolutely amazing, BTW, love it to death. Just not in July.

dailyfix Sat 09-May-15 17:14:22

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound blasé blush, more than it would be unlikely to be wet the whole time.

Bali would be a good bet for weather.
Or a really ritzy hotel in Sardinia.

QueenJuggler Sat 09-May-15 17:18:21

Now I'm totally distracted from my jobs for the day, dreaming about beaches in Sardinia....

QueenJuggler Sat 09-May-15 17:19:02

And I didn't mean to sound rude - apologies if it came across like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now