Talk

Advanced search

what do you think?

(5 Posts)
ElinElin Thu 16-Apr-15 21:41:22

Me and dh have discussions about going abroad far away ( I.e. India, Thailand,)) I'm talking far away, over 10 hour flight. I don't feel comfortable travelling that far while the kids are little. My youngest is 3, nearly 4 and I have always said when he is over 5 I'd be more comfortable. I think the reason I feel like this is because our kids have had alot of health issues. When my dd was younger she had 13 febrile convulsions in 2 years. My son has subglottic stenosis ( narrowing of the wind pipe) and has had to go to a&e sometimes by ambulance about 12 times in the last year. Dh thinks I am over the top and does not see where I am coming from. What do you think?

Heels99 Fri 17-Apr-15 11:23:46

Would your son be covered on travel insurance? Possibly not?
Would there be close by a and e availability of a reasonable standard?

I don't think your kids are too young to travel but 12 trips to a and e in a year would put me off going abroad for reasons of availability of medical provision, cost of it and travel insurance issues. India would deffo be off my list.

mummymeister Fri 17-Apr-15 13:02:24

My eldest has a long standing chronic condition. we struggled to get any sort of reasonably priced travel insurance until she was well into her teens. I would suggest you have a chat with an actual insurance broker. he/she can go through each condition in detail and then tell you the costs. also, what about all the jabs you need plus malaria and chikungunya. TBH I think they have too many health concerns and are far too small to go to far flung places. a child that had to be taken to hospital in an ambulance 12 times last year, shouldn't be taken to the back end of beyond in my opinion. sorry but your dh has to accommodate his kids and go on holidays that they can go on easily not be so selfish. good job you didn't post this in relationships - blunt responses there or what!

ipadmad Wed 29-Apr-15 21:58:33

I would be comfortable travelling far away but not to the destinations you have mentioned - Australia, New Zealand yes but definitely not India and probably not Thailand.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 01-May-15 15:21:07

Definitely not India. Bangkok has excellent healthcare, but based on your child's medical history I would not go on holiday to a developing country.
Singapore has excellent hospitals and lots for kids to do- zoo, night safari, universal studios, botanical gardens. However, it is very hot and humid.
Hong Kong also has excellent healthcare.
However, I think when access to decent healthcare is so key I would not really consider long haul travel for your chiidren at the moment. I think it would be too stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now