Talk

Advanced search

San Diego Hotels

(10 Posts)
HolidayHunterTeam Sun 15-Feb-15 11:40:36

Hello,

I have posted on or trip down the pacific coast highway previously and got great advice about San Francisco. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a hotel in San Diego Have looked through mumsnet history and a couple of recommendations pop up, but they are at a minimum 2/3 years old, so was hoping for some more up to date advice.

We (me, my husband and 11 month old) are spending 4 nights in San Diego after a couple of weeks travelling down from San Francisco (stopping over at Monterey, Morro Bay and Santa Monica on the way).

We would like somewhere to relax, although will spend one day at the zoo. We kind of want to chill out a lot, so don't really want to be in the GasLamp quarter. Have read reviews on Trip Advisor about several hotels, but I am put off by the terrible reviews of all of them! eek. Anyone been recently and recommend a great place?

Cost isn't a major issue, as we realise San Diego is costly anyway. We are happy to pay for the right place, within reason. Have looked at the Del Mar Coronado, and liked it, and the location especially but as the most expensive resort in the city we want to make sure it's worth the money. Have read reviews that say there is no aircon etc. Have emailed the hotel about this, but no reply yet.

Access to a beach would be perfect. Oh I don't know! Any advice anyone?

Thank you

HolidayHunterTeam Sun 15-Feb-15 16:43:51

Anyone?

babymouse Sun 15-Feb-15 22:01:13

There are some decent hotels near Horton Plaza. Mission Bay or Coronado have great hotels or beach rentals, but you'd need to drive into the city for Balboa Park which isn't too bad of a drive if you avoid rush hour.

babymouse Sun 15-Feb-15 22:05:45

If you have a room facing the sea you are not going to need air con, the breeze of the ocean is perfect and costal California really doesn't get too warm when on the beach. The hotel del is fab and Coronado is lovely if you have the budget go for it!

ragged Sun 15-Feb-15 22:13:56

Why chill out for 4 days in SD? Why not chill out somewhere truly peaceful, say in Santa Barbara or Luis Obispo or even Palm Springs?

Hotel Del sucks: okay, it doesn't really, it's got charm, but it's well away from the heart of the city and it's for boring old farts people who want that kind of feel.

I had my wedding night in Hotel Del & wish I followed my dad's advice to stay here instead. Relatives have been happy at the Best Western in PB, too, but that isn't a laid back place.

La Jolla might suit you, or Encinitas.

ragged Sun 15-Feb-15 22:16:23

Here, walking distance to great places in La Jolla to potter around.

HolidayHunterTeam Sun 15-Feb-15 22:37:55

Thank you for your replies. And for the vote for Coronado.

Ragged, are you from SD?

I suppose it was more a winding down sort of thing before we flew home from SD, after all the driving. We're visiting Santa Barbara and Louis Obispo on the drive down.

I did consider Palm springs too, so maybe have a couple of nights there to chill. Thank you.

Londonbug1 Thu 26-Feb-15 16:58:30

Just to say I second the comment re hotel del Coronado
It's cut off from the rest of the city really and we found it a bit dull tbh.
Also although the hotel is "historic" many of the rooms are sixties/seventies and nothing special, I think you can do better

CMOTDibbler Thu 26-Feb-15 17:05:04

I've stayed in a couple of hotels next to the convention centre, and it was great as you had the option of walking into the Gaslamp quarter to eat or shop, but being on the water with the pool etc.

Monterey is amazing btw, I stayed at a waterfront hotel there, and seeing sea otters from the hotel deck was fab, and I wished I had been able to go kayaking and whale watching there (was working)

mrswobblebottom Tue 24-May-16 13:15:53

Any recent recommendations for a hotel where we can relax near beach/pool after busy few days in Anaheim? Wondered about Mission Bay, are there any noisy bits near roads or airport to avoid? Not so keen on high rise Hyatt and Marriott, though hotels and area do look good!

Will have a car to do sightseeing, will parking be easy enough? Have spent many an hour on trip advisor, booking.com, Dibb and old mumsnet threads so advice gratefully received! Looking forward to Cheesecake Factory already!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now