Talk

Advanced search

Langkawi

(19 Posts)
paneer Sun 01-Feb-15 17:13:24

Has anyone been?

Is it as lovely as it looks?

Any hotel recommendations? Best to go B&B and eat out?

Thinking of taking DD (who will be 7) over Easter holiday break.

Does anyone also know of what vaccinations are needed.

Thanks

TheElementsSong Mon 02-Feb-15 14:16:26

It's been several years since I was last there so I might be a bit out of date. If you avoid the overdeveloped parts (which are just depressing), much of the island is still lovely and with a decent amount of rainforest and wildlife.

Depending on your budget, I believe the Datai is the best resort on the island but there are many other good options.

No vaccinations needed.

Maroonie Mon 02-Feb-15 14:21:42

Went last year and loved it, although I had very little to do with booking it (we went with friends who live in Malaysia) and only went for the weekend.
We were in a villa but spend most of our time on the beach. The self catering really meant eating out as there were signs up in our kitchen saying don't cook! But the cost to eat out is very low compared to the uk it seemed pointless to stay in and we wanted to try the food which was amazing.
Il try and remember the names of the restaurants we went too and come back!

TheElementsSong Mon 02-Feb-15 14:52:52

Oh yes, eating out in Malaysia is cheap and delicious!

MaybeDoctor Mon 02-Feb-15 14:54:50

Andaman!
Andaman!
Andaman all the way!

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Mon 02-Feb-15 14:58:48

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

We stayed at the slightly cheaper Casa Del Mar and it was lovely. We did go to one of the more expensive hotels for dinner one night, which was nice.

The mangrove tour was fab!

bluesky Mon 02-Feb-15 15:03:15

Definitely Andaman, heaven. We have been to Datai, paid for as a corporate, its very honeymooney,couply and high end, but Andaman is more family orientated. They are the only two hotels on the beach. You can go and eat at Datai and put bill on Andaman bill. Spas at both are great.

Can't remember about vaccinations

The only thing is you would need transport to goto other areas, as these two hotels are on their own. But we were happy with that. We went out on the Mangrove Tour, excellent. The hotel does dawn and dusk wildlife walks which are really good, my ds loved those. Its really good that you have the beach and sea on one side of hotel and then the rainforest and wildlife on the other side.

Food was good, lots of little monkeys about, nice pool, slide etc for dd

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Mon 02-Feb-15 15:21:18

Casa Del Mar is on the beach too.

munchkin2902 Mon 02-Feb-15 15:28:45

Loved casa del mar - room opened onto the pool area and beach, it was amazing. Breakfasts were lovely as were the cocktails! We went into the street for dinner rather than eating in the higher end places, the seafood is so cheap, think we are lobster and crab for under £20.

I want to go back - best holiday I've had by far - and have six week old so not going to be able to do it again for about twenty years hmm

paneer Thu 05-Feb-15 11:51:02

Thanks for all the comments. Going to try and book something this weekend to cheer myself up from this freezing weather.

paneer Mon 09-Feb-15 23:44:17

very close to booking Andaman.

2 nights in KL, 7 nights in Andaman. 1 adult, 1 7yo for 3k (incl. transfers). I think good?? (Air Malaysia).

Shil0846 Mon 09-Feb-15 23:59:13

We stayed at the Four Seasons in 2011, ok but lacked character. As we hadn't booked (or paid for!) the honeymoon "experience", no one congratulated us or made any extra effort despite being aware we were newlyweds.

The beach also wasn't great. Really wished we'd stayed at the Datai.

speedbird17 Tue 10-Feb-15 00:11:11

Berjaya, absolutely beautiful huts on the water <3

TheElementsSong Tue 10-Feb-15 09:40:16

Sounds pretty good OP!

Although IMHO, KL is a traffic-bound, hot, smoggy waste of time. But I might be biased, having had the misfortune of growing up there for some years.

We honeymooned at the Berjaya tum-ti-tum years ago, stayed in one of those chalets. Lovely romantic memories.

freelancegirl Tue 10-Feb-15 09:47:31

This was a few years ago too but loved the Bon Ton, a beautiful hotel where you stay in antique Chinese houses. Walking distance to a lovely beach and has a very picturesque pool. Hired a car to see the rest or the island - very easy to get around.

paneer Thu 12-Feb-15 12:55:49

Booked it!

DD is indifferent, I am SO EXCITED! grin grin

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Thu 12-Feb-15 12:59:26

Have an amazing time! It's a beautiful place!

Allstoppedup Thu 12-Feb-15 13:05:57

It's fantastic. We stayed right on the beach after flying over from mainland Malaysia for a mini holiday in a holiday!grin

I was gutted as we missed the opportunity to book a jungle walk to see the hornbills and was sat on the beach on our last day when I heard lots of chattering, looked up to see the tree I was sat under was FILLED with them! We also saw monitor lizards, lots of monkeys (with diddy 'ginger' babies), ate fantastic (very cheap) food, drank delicious star fruit smoothies and learned to batik by the sea front.

There was quite a bit to do if you wanted to be more active but as we had been backpacking for over a year at this point and had just got back from a rainforest stay in Taman Negara, we hit the relaxing 'beach holiday' side of it.

Very lovely place.

Allstoppedup Thu 12-Feb-15 13:07:24

We flew with Air Malaysia too and they were great. So excited for you and a bit jealous too! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: