Talk

Advanced search

The US

(8 Posts)
wtffgs Sat 31-Jan-15 13:30:55

OMG shock

We maybe going this summer to visit family!!! Can I use my hairdryer, straighteners, iPhone and iPad there - isn't the current different?

BloodyDogHairs Sat 31-Jan-15 14:04:59

haha no you are fine just remember and pack adapter's for the plugs.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 31-Jan-15 14:06:02

You will just need an adapter for the plugs.

mirpuppet Sun 01-Feb-15 12:03:51

current is different.

Don't think hairdryer, straighteners will get as hot.

phones; ipad will be fine

loismustdieatyahoodotcom Sun 01-Feb-15 13:10:43

Just remember to turn off your data roaming on your phone or the bill will be huge.

Strokethefurrywall Sun 01-Feb-15 14:45:55

Correct about hair dyers and straighteners - they won't get as hot so you'll end up a frizzy mess.
If you have the later style ghds then I know these should be multi-current adaptable (but check first). I love overseas and my ghds work fine.

Christelle2207 Tue 10-Feb-15 11:29:28

I believe the voltage is different, unless your straighteners are fairly fancy and new they may not get as hot. Other stuff should be ok but take longer to charge.

specialsubject Tue 10-Feb-15 12:03:57

let's have some boring old facts.

In the UK, you get 230V (plus 10%, minus 6% tolerance) out of sockets. Frequency of the supply voltage is 50Hz.

In America it is 110V and 60Hz, and of course different sockets. So you need an adapter.

going from UK to America: nothing will blow up, and many things now are dual voltage so will be quite happy. Look at the label on the back. Things that aren't dual voltage will work differently; heated items won't get as hot, clocks (like you have one of those...) run slower and so on.

Americans coming here need to ensure their items are dual voltage or 'bang'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: