Talk

Advanced search

Malaysia or South Africa in a camper? Any other suggestions?

(5 Posts)
Suzy123456 Sun 25-Jan-15 11:36:09

I have 2.5 year old son and 2 and half weeks to take off work before the end of March, and my husband is desperate to go somewhere adventurous. I feel that my sense of adventure has decreased somewhat since being a mum of a small child and we are also trying for a number 2 (though having been trying for some time) so my ideal holiday would be less adventurous than my husband. We both used to be quite adventurous before children.
First Malaysia was discussed, however jet lag, the fact I do not sleep on planes, humidity, mosquitoes bitten, hot toddler who is not potty train and still puts what ever he finds in his month has put me off the idea somewhat. Am I being over worried has anyone been with a toddler and had bad times? Good times?
So South Africa was a compromise, flying in to Cape Town and then heading up the West coast, rather than the East. But my husband wants to do it in a camper van, and I am worry about safety Again has anyone done this with a toddler?
There Is also a small chance I could get pregnant so will have to deal with that too, but feel we cannot plan around this chance as we are having some problem conceiving and my husband sees this trip as a chance to get away before number 2, my heart agrees with him but my head worries.

TheGonnagle Mon 26-Jan-15 21:23:59

Haven't been to SA but have been to Malaysia with a toddler. We went when she was 13 months old and again when 22 months old. We had a ball. Mamy poko nappies are better than pampers, the food is easy to navigate (noodles and rice galore for dd), a clean safe country - I recommend it highly. KL is easy peasy with a little one, so is Penang, Langkawi, Tioman etc.
We really loved it. She's also been to Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia and the only problem we've ever had was when she dislocated her wrist in the pool in Thailand. The hotel staff took us to the hospital and we were excellently looked after. It's so easy that we're off agin in 8 weeks. Can't wait!

mummymeister Tue 27-Jan-15 07:48:13

what about camper vanning around Canada (west coast, rockies etc) or touring the other bits of florida. personally, I wouldn't go anywhere with a toddler and possibly pregnant that had malaria or chikungunya.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 27-Jan-15 07:53:27

You will need a camper that will take a car seat and that can be an issue.

SquirrelledAway Tue 03-Feb-15 12:55:44

Would recommend South Africa, but have you thought about using a car to get around and staying in hotels / guest houses / game ranches / national parks? Accommodation and car hire is good value, food is great, and 2.5 weeks would give you plenty of time to see the area between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, with the benefit of not being in a malarial area. Your DH could still do exciting stuff like shark cage diving and bungee jumping, and you can all enjoy driving round national parks (Addo Elephant Park is not to be missed).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: