Talk

Advanced search

NYC restaurant recommendations please!

(18 Posts)
Sipsmith Sun 18-Jan-15 12:10:30

Going to New York in April. There will be 8 of us so need to get organised regarding restaurants.
I've been before but not with teenagers, there are 4 parents and 4 children, ages between 13 and 22.
Can anyone recommend some good value, fun family type restaurants please?
Thanks.

wannabestressfree Sun 18-Jan-15 12:13:30

I know it's cliche but we loved bubba gumps in Times Square smile

Johnogroats Sun 18-Jan-15 12:31:25

The boys loved diners for breakfast and ate so much (pancakes) that we didn't do lunch most days. However we did go to the oyster bar under Grand Central. We had oysters and boys 8&10 had sandwiches...great atmosphere and big success. The hotel recommended places nearby and all were good (Hells Kitchen) but can't remember names, except for Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. It wasn't cheap, but was memorable. Boys ate everything!

Enjoy!

SwedishEdith Sun 18-Jan-15 12:34:18

Katz's deli on the Lower East Side

Sipsmith Sun 18-Jan-15 12:46:47

Great, thanks!

Katz's is already on the list, checking out Bubba Gump as we have a no fish/seafood member of the team.

Keep them coming please!

piratedinosaursgogogo Sun 18-Jan-15 15:09:17

Ellen's Stardust Diner - Singing staff, a bit of fun but not the best food you'll have
Carmine's near Times Square

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 18-Jan-15 15:42:07

John's Pizzeria on Bleeker Street is worth a visit.

Its cash only however, and you must order by the pie so go with friends. Get there early to avoid a wait.

Sonoma Mon 19-Jan-15 15:30:19

Carmine's or similar for NYC Italian American family style food ?

whitewineandchocolate Tue 20-Jan-15 08:02:30

Agree John's Pizzeria was good, good food and atmosphere.

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Jan-15 08:07:34

Another vote for Ellen's Stardust Diner. It's diner food - burgers, fries, onion rings etc - not fine dining. The wait staff are all Broadway wannabes and sing songs from the shows as they work. Every so often there's an announcement of who has got a part in a show - " hey guys you remember Mary... She's got xxx in YYy show". It's great fun.

Unexpected Tue 20-Jan-15 08:31:06

Five Napkin Burger is a great burger (and sushi!) place. They have a few locations but I have only been to the one in Hell's Kitchen. To be honest, I have never had sushi there, it always seemed to be an odd combination of specialities. Another fun place is Eataly I'm Midtown which is like a huge deli with lots of different concession stands for dessert, coffee etc. There is also a seafood bar and a pizza/pasta restaurant at the back.

BopToTheTop Tue 20-Jan-15 08:35:07

I could have written the post by piratedinosaursgogogo myself!
Ellen's and Carmine's both offer something different in my opinion, Carmine's often has a slightly longer wait for a table but you can normally get to the bar for drinks before you are seated

everygalaxy Tue 20-Jan-15 08:40:28

We went to virgils off Times Square - loved it but be prepared its proper man v food stuff I had the meat sweats blush
We wanted to go to shake shack but ran out of time (it was a whilstlestop visit on the way to QM2)

LedditGo Tue 20-Jan-15 08:48:13

Another vote for Ellen's Stardust Diner!!! Amazing!!!

Bubba Gump offer burgers and non seafood options!!!

Secretsout Fri 23-Jan-15 22:43:15

If bubbas is anything like the one at Universal Orlando, its grim! Try Eataly in the Flatiron district (a great concept for us Brits - we opted for the pizza/pasta section). Dos Caminos is good, also near Flatiron. I would say avoid anything in Times Square, it's just tourist fodder.

Sipsmith Sun 25-Jan-15 15:49:48

Thanks for all the replies.

So far I've booked Hill Country BBQ as there's live music, and Carmine's.

Rizzlekicks Sat 14-Feb-15 09:56:04

Balthazars on Spring Street is great for people-spotting. Eataly next to Grammercy Park is a great concept - a whole range of restaurants to choose from. You have to experience Shake Shack for burgers, also in Grammercy Park - phenomenal.

Rizzlekicks Sat 14-Feb-15 09:58:56

If you don't want to queue for the Shake Shack in Grammercy Square, they have another less busy one on the restaurant concourse in Grand Central. If you are there, worth checking out the food halls too. Rosa Mexicana is a superb Mexican restaurant, well worth experiencing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: