Talk

Advanced search

Air france long haul with 5 month old help!!

(6 Posts)
Ellie2elysia Sat 17-Jan-15 16:59:53

I am absolutely dreading travelling alone to see family with my 5 months old sad.

First off has anyone travelled with air france before?
I rang air france with a few questions my main a question being can I take premade aptimil bottles (sealed ones) I've been told no can only be under 100ml but I've read elsewhere that I could but at security I would have to taste the milk... I'm confused it would be so much easier otherwise I'll be worrying about getting sterile water ect for making them up!? Has anyone had any experience with this?
Secondly when I get to immigration do I need a letter from my sons dad allowing me to leave the country even though it's under 28 days?

Please please put my mind at rest sad

Minions Sat 17-Jan-15 18:57:19

Hi, if you're flying from the UK you are able to order Aptamil from Boots and collect it from their shop once you're past security (check your airport & terminal has an airside Boots shop). I don't know about your second question - I haven't heard anyone mention it but a more knowledgable mumsnetter will hopefully be along soon. Good luck, I'm sure it will go well

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 17-Jan-15 19:52:25

If you are travelling with a baby or infant you can carry a reasonable amount of liquid and liquidised food for the baby or infant for your journey. To assist security screening, please do not carry these items in a flask. Spare supplies must be packed in your hold baggage.

You can either carry the liquids as part of your liquid bag allowance, in which case the standard liquid rules apply; or alternatively separately in containers over 100ml. Following x-ray screening, security officers may also need to carry out additional checks on these items.

The above is Heathrow's advice on such matters anyway:-

www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/heathrow-security/faqs#liquidbabyfood

I would get his written permission for you to take his son out of the country with you for the required number of days. This should take the form of a notarised letter particularly if your son has a different surname to you. You may well be asked to produce this at UK Border Control when you return to the UK.

chocomochi Sat 17-Jan-15 19:58:42

It sounds really silly, but if you have different surnames, you may also need to produce his birth certificate (have had two friends questioned as they were travelling alone with baby with different last names). It's to do with child trafficking.

Ellie2elysia Sat 17-Jan-15 23:04:28

Oh gosh I'll make sure I take a letter and his birth certificate I'm going to America and I know how strict they can be... I've checked out boots terminal 3 and I can do that but now I'm wondering once I get to france with they take them off me or once I get to L.A.X will they take them off me this is all too much hard work haha! I'm terrified thanks for your help x

chocomochi Sun 18-Jan-15 08:08:02

Oh. I don't know how strict they are now, but security at Amsterdam confiscated some jars of jam I bought at Heathrow (transit to Asia) as they weren't in a security sealed bag!

If you can, maybe try to get them to seal the "extras" you don't need to use on the flight to France.

This depends whether you need to go through security again when you get to France.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: