Talk

Advanced search

Baby carrier/sling for long haul 20 month old

(14 Posts)
TK1930 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:17:27

Hi
Wondering if I should buy a sling/carrier for our 20mth old for when we fly to carribbean in a few months time?
We haven't bought her her own seat... Stupid in retrospect... But flight is now booked out. Maybe we will manage to get an extra seat at check in??

bonzo77 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:21:02

We ended up doing this, mainly because of the walk from the plane to baggage reclaim (where the push chair ends up). Ended up getting lots of use. Got and ergo, as the proper back pack carriers were too big for hand luggage dimensions. Total lifesaver, and worth getting the hang of a back carry with it or else you cannot see over the toddler's head.

TK1930 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:23:40

The ergo was exactly what I was looking at! Did your DC fall asleep in it? (That's what I'm hoping for) but my DD is only used to being in pushchair/cot/car seat to fall asleep..... confused

Umbrelladilemma Sat 17-Jan-15 08:24:43

We also had an ergo at this age. It was great as DD would fall asleep well in it (well after a lot of jiggling/walking up and down!) so it was helpful for naps.

I'm not it will be any help whilst actually sitting in your seat on the plane though.

Umbrelladilemma Sat 17-Jan-15 08:27:25

Cross post! Yes, what we did was that one of us would walk around the terminal with DD for 20 mins or so so that she would be asleep when we boarded, then we lay her across our laps. That was the theory anyway - it did work once send then worked again before a long transfer journey,

TK1930 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:32:00

Thanks...So you wouldn't really be able to wear it and sit down with her asleep?

Artandco Sat 17-Jan-15 08:34:04

No to wearing and sleeping, at 20 months she will be in sling on your back.

One point with the ergo is I found the straps didn't go tight enough as I'm fairly small. We used the boba 4g. And maybe look at the manduca

Umbrelladilemma Sat 17-Jan-15 08:35:15

Hmmm. You might be able to but it wouldn't be that comfortable for you. Depends how big she is really. It fastens quite low down around the hips so sitting with it on can be tricky. Do you have anywhere near you that sells ergos do you can go and try one on with her?

Artandco Sat 17-Jan-15 08:35:51

Oh I mean yes you can wear and she sleep, but no you won't be able to sit down whilst she's asleep as she will be on back as bigger. They only really fit in front until 9/12 months

Umbrelladilemma Sat 17-Jan-15 08:37:22

Oh and I agree with Art that you'd usually have her on your back, but I did find DD was fine in a front carry for short periods (eg to get her to sleep -could sort of cuddle her and turn her face into me which helped) when we travelled when she was 22 months.

WLondonMum Sat 17-Jan-15 08:40:17

Take a look at the Patapum toddler carrier too, friends used theirs even for their 5 year old on long walks!

TK1930 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:41:23

Ok thanks. Yes I was thinking of it more to use to get her to sleep on plane then sit down with her.... But that won't work if she's on our back. Lol. Thanks for the advice. Think I should go and have a try on of some in store rather than just looking online

addictedtosugar Sat 17-Jan-15 08:52:09

We hired a sling from the local sling library for our holiday.
I front carried DS2 at around 22 months (although he was slight) in a toddler connecta.

I basically e-mailed the sling library (I couldn't get there due to work), and said what I wanted to do, and given a choice, we'd like a summer weight sling. The deposit was ££, but returned at the end. It was fantastic, and they posted it to me, and I returned via recorded delivery.

Once on the plane, they were very anti me having him facing me for take off, we had to loosen everything off, and move one leg so they were both on one side of my hips, rather than straddling me.

It was amazing all through the holiday - we didn't take a pushchair, as the location wasn't pushchair friendly (DH's grandmothers, hence no choice!), and I basically carried him for all naps for the 2 weeks. It was hot work!

We even got DS1 (4, and very slight!) in as he felt left out!!!!

Enjoy your holiday.

bonzo77 Sat 17-Jan-15 12:51:28

Yes he slept in the ergo. I did have him on my front but once he was asleep he rested his head on my shoulder (and arms round my neck, tooooo cute) and it was ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: