Advanced search

Safari with children

(9 Posts)
monopoly123 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:30:29

I've had a quick search but could only find posts that were a couple of years old.
Has anyone been on safari with children? My 2 will be 10 & 7.
I think we're restricted to Kruger (want to avoid malaria). We're also considering adding on 5-7 days at the beach/Madagascar/Seychelles/Mauritius so any info on those places is very welcome too.

SophieBarringtonWard Fri 16-Jan-15 20:34:00

this thread is just a month old and has some useful info. I've only taken a baby on safari so no advice.

monopoly123 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:42:56

Thank-you! I don't know how I managed to not find that one!

mummymeister Sat 17-Jan-15 09:02:37

make sure you take the bug spray with you even if you are in a non malaria area and check out the information on chikungunya. are they patient sort of kids who don't mind the hanging around. we considered a safari for our 3 this year but looked at all the MN info and decided they would get a bit fed up if there was lots of driving, watching and waiting so went to Belize instead. 7 nights on land 6 nights on the island for beach time.

monopoly123 Sat 17-Jan-15 09:12:38

Belize has been in the mix, what were the highlights? How old are your children?
When I asked dd2 where she wanted to go she said Rio and Madagascar - I didn't realise straight away this was due to the animated films!
My 2 are pretty well travelled, I keep wavering, wait until the teenage years for a safari or go now?

mummymeister Sun 18-Jan-15 10:31:39

Highlights of Belize - mayan ruins with no crowds (no people at most of them!), snorkelling with sharks and rays, snorkelling general, howler monkey trip through the rainforest, cave tubing, river tubing, zip lining, making chocolate, genuinely friendly people, lovely food, staying in the jungle, feeding the kinkajoos, feeding the toucans, oh I really could go on. Message me for more details. don't want to bore everyone else!!!

bonhomme Sun 18-Jan-15 15:10:54

Hi, I posted the previous thread linked to. We've decided to skip it for a while and hang on for our safari trip of a lifetime - Botswana. So many of the best activities there can't be done with children, it would be a waste of money - we were being quoted an average of £5k per person.

That said, if it was just a few days as part of a wider holiday, we would consider a few days' safari in South Africa.

Sonotkylie Mon 19-Jan-15 16:32:46

We went to Shamwari in SOuth Africa which is specifically set up to be child friendly. DS was 6 and loved it. We also went to Addo elephant park, which is self drive national park and that was good too. SA generally is brilliant for children. Lots they can do and see and relate to and they get spoiled rotten! Its also easy for parents which helps. Fantastic beach areas in Port Elizabeth area and on garden route so all very easy to combine with safari. Also non malarial.

sergeantmajor Wed 04-Feb-15 14:18:23

You could do a safari in Sri Lanka, no anti-malarials needed.
See here for a kid-friendly one. Monkeys, elephants and jungles, oh my!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now