Talk

Advanced search

Space saving tips - is it possible to pack light with a 9m old baby?!

(8 Posts)
Minions Thu 15-Jan-15 18:15:40

Hello, we're flying long haul with our 9m old baby and really wondering how we're going to manage to pack everything! That said, I've found a couple of complete gems in terms of space savers. We're hiring a cot and linen (and could also hire toys from same firm). And a friend told me today about sterilising bags which can be used in the microwave (I was seriously considering packing our steriliser!). And, we'll buy the bulk of nappies etc when we get there.

Has anyone else got great tips on how to cut down on the packing?

Thanks MNetters smile

Fortysix Fri 16-Jan-15 14:49:51

Have you access to a washing machine or launderette when you arrive and every three of four days thereafter? This could help you cut back on adult t shirts boxers, knickers etc.

Practice the art of stuffing baby clothes into your packed shoes.

Sharewear. Can you and your partner double up on a sweatshirt or long t shirt that you can both wear ie his day wear can become your night wear?

Shoes and coats are among the bulkiest items. Concentrate on these.

Go into Muji and look at their travel accessories and dresses, t shirts etc that become tiny cubes. Even if you can't afford it concentrates the mind.

When you pack assume you will be delayed six hours somewhere. It always happens to us. Pack for the journey +six hours. Take containers that can be chucked to lighten your load. Disposable beats recycling sadly.

Take a practical handbag. Not a big sack which has you scrambling headfirst inside and takes ages to find something.

Rumandcokeplease Fri 16-Jan-15 14:53:22

What do you need a steriliser for? At 9 months I didn't sterilise anything!!

Roll all of the baby clothes and then they'll fit in spaces in bags that you wouldn't think you'd get anything in. With regards to coats etc (if you are taking them) use vac-pac type bags, you can get some that you don't need a vacuum to get the air out!

OldBeanbagz Fri 16-Jan-15 15:20:06

What's you baggage allowance? Does you baby get any luggage allowance at all? How long are you going for? Hot or cold climate?

We went on a 3 week holiday last year with our DC aged 13 & 10 (so much bigger clothes that a 9 month old) and our total luggage came to 55kg (we could have taken up to 80kg). We had no access to laundry facilities and we had sleeping bags and walking boots too!

In terms of space saving, down jackets are very good. They stuff into an incredibly small space and are really warm too.

Make sure you pack plenty in your hand baggage. I would suggest a change of clothes for you as well as the baby.

geekaMaxima Fri 16-Jan-15 15:32:52

Hire a buggy/pushchair rather than endure the fraught hassle of checking in your own. We have found that various promises of letting you bring your buggy to the plane door when boarding, or giving you back your buggy at the plane door on arrival, don't always materialise. Especially if the plane is running a bit late or the ground crew are tired at the end of a shift, etc. Sometimes it works fine but you just can't rely on it.

Which brings me to a related tip - get a sling to take baby round the airport, to/from aircraft, up/down the aisle of the plane, etc. Much easier in the arms than carrying, and much easier to move through the airport crowds than a buggy. We have a Manduca carrier (like an Ergo) which is pretty robust and fast to get ds into.

Minions Fri 16-Jan-15 18:52:27

Some great tips there, many thanks all. Just checked with DH re sling, he said absolutely - he loves carrying her in it! Looked out my clothes today and actually it was easy to cut down as not all tops/dresses I'd usually take are feeding friendly. We've got a washing machine too so that helps.

Good tips for the journey too - will definitely take extra food etc and changes of clothes for us all. Wish us luck smile

Fortysix Fri 16-Jan-15 22:42:13

Sounds like you've got it sussed and will have room to spare at this rate to buy stuff at the other end. Have huge fun. Wait till you have three under five!

Ps Take photos of maps / directions to car hire and exiting the airport to store on your phone.

Minions Sat 17-Jan-15 18:58:26

Wow, three under five - must be like a military operation! Good tip on the maps, will do that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: