Talk

Advanced search

I want to go to NY for a four day break but need advice please...

(18 Posts)
Kbear Wed 07-Jan-15 20:32:56

I want to take DD for her birthday - she's 16. I want to stay central. I want a tour of the sights so we're not wandering aimlessly on our own. I work in central London and have done for 28 years, why do I feel nervous about NY? Where is good to eat? What is a great hotel? Am I mad?

Advice appreciated MN massive smile

PancyFants Wed 07-Jan-15 21:17:41

I have just posted a thread for advice on apartments for a break for DD and I during the summer. DD is 14, so I don't think you are mad! Will be watching with interest.

I have been to New York before (no kids) and our hotel wasn't great, so can't really help much! grin

mamababa Wed 07-Jan-15 21:21:13

I stayed in the Jolly Hotel Madison Towers, near to the Empire State it was nice (but it's 10 years ago!) have stayed in the Waldorf too, room a but shabby but it's ok!

CQ Wed 07-Jan-15 21:32:06

We stayed at the Westin on Times Square (actually just off it). Characterless but perfect - clean, efficient, great location, not too pricey.

Took a half day walking tour with Real New York Tours - brilliant and fun, stuff you'd never get from a guide book. Gave us lots of tips for the rest of our stay, too.

Staten Island Ferry - free and a great way to see the Statue of Liberty close up without queuing.

Top of the Rock observation deck for great views and photo opportunities. Can take photos of the Empire State building rather than being up it and not able to see it, if that makes any sense!

On a rainy day, the Madame Tussauds was good fun - you can have your photos taken with the Obamas in the White House which is a great family photo!

MOMA and Guggenheim if you are at all interested in art. Even if you're not, actually!

Central Park, obvs. Grand Central Station fascinating and beautiful, with a great oyster restaurant (serves lots of other stuff too).

Lots to see just walking and looking. Our kids were about 9 and 11 at the time I think but I've never met a kid of any age who didn't love it. Teens even more so as it feels like you are in a film set the whole time.

Loved it. Am taking my dear mum there this year so need to start planning for that………..

YulePutTatOnMyChristmasTree Wed 07-Jan-15 21:37:34

We went at the end of August for DDs 21st (me dd, ds and dsis)
It was fab and I've never been anywhere further than France before so was a bit scared!
We prebooked Empire State, Rockefeller centre and liberty island
We stayed at the Homewood Suites on west 37th street and were able to walk to most of the major sites, although we also got a 5 day subway ticket which worked well
The hotel was lovely, not even on google maps as it was so new. We had a problem with our bathroom door and it was fixed within 30 minutes of us mentioning it!
We went for 5 days and there were a couple of things we didn't get time for but I really loved it. We could walk to Times Square and there were plenty of places to eat
Have fun!

poisonedbypen Wed 07-Jan-15 21:50:51

Walk along the High Line (North to South), walk through Greenwich Village, SoHo & down to the 9/11 memorial.

BikeRunSki Wed 07-Jan-15 21:51:49

I highly recommend Ellen's Stardust Diner on Broadway. The waitstaff are all actors waiting for their big break, and sign songs from the shows and dance on the tables.

nooyearnooname Wed 07-Jan-15 21:57:52

We stayed at the Chelsea Pines Hotel in the meatpacking district, all the rooms are film star themed. Not right in the middle e.g. times square but a great neighbourhood, lots of cool restaurants and shops within walking distance. The owners are awesome also, and Charlie the hotel cat. Right by the subway for getting around. And the High Line. And near Carrie Bradshaw's apartment. What sort of things is your DD into?

nooyearnooname Wed 07-Jan-15 22:24:11

oops sorry its Chelsea Pines Inn

www.chelseapinesinn.com/

Follyfoot Wed 07-Jan-15 22:43:10

Ooo how lovely. DD and I went when she was 17 and had a fantastic time. We stayed at the Sofitel - great location on West 44th St which was a slightly quieter spot to return to after a long day out. I emailed them and asked if we could have a 'view' and they gave us a room from which we could see the Empire State and the Chrysler Building.

Dont feel nervous, its brilliant and we found it really friendly: the immigration officer at the airport tipped out his bag to find us a discount voucher for the theatre, and then the taxi driver lent my DD his phone to take photos and post on FB as we drove to Manhattan.

Its easy to walk most places (though Central Park is huge so we did that in 2 chunks!) and there is so much to see and do you wont be bored for a second. It was my second visit to NY so I'd already done a bus tour, that was great for getting your bearings and understanding what is where. Its dead easy to find your way round, and impossible to get lost. Dont worry about wandering aimlessly, your time will be completely filled and you'll wish you had gone for longer!

Echo all the suggestions made by others and am very envious smile

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 07-Jan-15 22:46:03

I dont think you can get apartments in NYC any more, you have to be local.

Try air BNB thouhgh, potentially one route through the red tape.

And dont worry about NYC, it is an amazing place to visit, and no worse than London.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Wed 07-Jan-15 22:48:25

Marking my place for ideas as doing something similar soon smile

TheQuibbler Wed 07-Jan-15 23:09:38

I'll PM you a link to a beautiful townhouse apartment in the meatpacking district. It's quite pricey (but not really so much for Manhattan and where it is) but mostly importantly, it is legit (the owners live in the building so are allowed to rent it out on a short -term basis). You do feel like a local having a key to the main door and being able to come and go as you please. They are very nice and full of local knowledge and the apartment(s) is gorgeous.

There's so much to do in NY - it's one of my favourite cities. Depends what you want to prioritise. I would have to say for me on my first trip, I had to go see Moma and the Met. Went on a ferry. Walked across the bridge and looked back at the city. Gawked at all the amazing architecture. Checked out Bloomingdales, Barneys and Macy’s. Once you've worked out the grid system - it's so easy to get around. I walked loads and just took it all in.

Oh, I'm so jealous - you'll have a fab time smile

MrsEricBana Wed 07-Jan-15 23:14:53

I am the most anxious person in the world though in younger days worked in London no problem. We had to go to NYC for a couple of months earlier this year as dh was working there. I was terrified before we went . There was a thread on it! It was absolutely fantastic and I was on my own with the dcs most of the time as dh working. Felt safe, easy to get around, everything we did was amazing (apart from Central Park Zoo which upset me). Highlights - Empire State at night; walking The High Line then wandering around Greenwich Village and the West Village; seeing the original Winnie the Pooh etc at NY Public Library (free); take subway to South Ferry (you must be in front 5 carriages on the train) and then take Staten Island Ferry (free) to look back at Manhattan skyline then walk along waterfront at Battery Park then up through Wall St, Tribeca, Chinatown, Little Italy, Nolita & Soho; Grand Central Station; Galleries - 1. Guggenheim 2. The Met 3. MoMA; walk up 5th Ave. and go to Tiffany's and pretend to be Audrey Hepburn (buy her a birthday bracelet from the 3rd floor silver room!) then skate Rockefeller Plaza and nose at amazing art deco interior of the Rockefeller Centre; explore the lower reaches of Central Park by bike or on foot; walk along Madison Avenue; if she is into science the American Museum of Natural History is unbelievable. Oh and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Bridge Park and back for amazing skyline views.
I wouldn't stay very centrally as is too manic. Subway so easy that I would aim for nr Central Park OR lower down nr Greenwich Village etc.
Lucky you!! Enjoy.
Oh and take v comfortable shoes.Everyone wears trainers.

Kbear Thu 08-Jan-15 09:13:49

Thanks so much for all the useful advice (and the PM from TheQuibbler) - much appreciated. Lots to investigate and plan. I knew MN would give me a great starting point.

Heels99 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:03:33

Taking my 8 year olds this spring combined with trip to Caribbean

Seriouslyffs Thu 08-Jan-15 10:37:58

This hotel is the cheapest non shared bathroom safely located on Manhattan! grin I've stayed there twice and would def. go back. If you can run to a 2x double bed do and ask for a street facing room- last visit we we're put in a room facing a lightwell which was a bit grim but they moved our stuff while we were out to a lovely larger room.
Take comfy shoes and be prepared for long busy days- we were out from 10am until midnight every day so really appreciated a comfy bed!

PancyFants Thu 08-Jan-15 14:38:48

Seriouslyffs I looked at that hotel for a break during the summer, but reviews were mixed. Glad to hear it was fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now