Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to find reasonable £ tickets to New York

(16 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Dec-14 21:17:39

For next August. Fairly flexible about dates.

Cheapest I've found with sky scanner is £670!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Dec-14 21:24:58

Meant to ask....will they get cheaper if I leave it a bit?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 18-Dec-14 09:11:27

Prices tend to increase the nearer a person books to the departure gate.

BA are currently doing a sale though so this is worth looking at.

lisaloulou84 Thu 18-Dec-14 09:13:25

Use Expedia and look after Xmas they should go in sale. There's also a new Norwegian airline doing cheap flights there, can't remember the name. However august is the most expensive time to go, November and February by far the cheapest.

AlpacaMyBags Thu 18-Dec-14 09:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 18-Dec-14 09:20:25

BAs fares are much cheaper from mid August and fares start at around the £400-£500 mark.

bigTillyMint Thu 18-Dec-14 09:20:50

I was looking for October half-term and getting updates from Skyscanner and Expedia - even with stopovers, they are close to £600 then!

VeryPunny Thu 18-Dec-14 09:26:34

It's in the middle of school holidays, so will be pricey.

Andcake Thu 18-Dec-14 09:29:02

an airline who I wouldn't usually look at who do good deals are Thomas cook airlines - especially from Manchester!

SparkleZilla Thu 18-Dec-14 09:51:17

you can also look at flying out to somewhere like Schipol (sp) airport (or somewhere else) if you dont mind a 2 leg flight, which might be cheaper

Merrylegs Thu 18-Dec-14 09:54:26

Norwegian have flights in August for about £490 but they are the easyjet of longhaul and you have to pay extra for bags, food, headphones etc. They fly out of Gatwick.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 18-Dec-14 16:45:22

Thanks. Think I,ll look after Xmas again.

Found flights for £550 right at the end of August which is a bit better but google suggests if I wait a bit longer prices may come down.

PeppermintInfusion Sat 20-Dec-14 20:39:28

Try aer lingus, you'll need to connect in Dublin/Shannon but they offer connecting flights, are decent comfort and not too dear.

spababe Mon 22-Dec-14 17:42:46

I've booked Norwegian and paid for 2 bags and seats together. Got bulkhead seats so hope it stays that way. I also looked at Icelandair with a stretch your legs in Reyjkavik so now we are coming back with them but doing a stopover in Reyjkavik. I read an article on Norwegian and it said that you have to book 9 months in advance to get a seat so don't leave it too long. Also if you qo through quidco you get a little bit back.

whitewineandchocolate Mon 22-Dec-14 17:58:09

We looked in 2013 for that summer and couldn't get a good price so ended up going October 2013 half term for £1850 for two adults & two teenagers, good flight times as well.

Now looking for next summer so please keep this thread uodated if you find any bargains. Best we've found so far was £2500 for four and I just don't want to pay that much!

QuicheLemon Thu 01-Jan-15 21:52:06

White wine and viva.. What is your departure airport? Have you considered a Tuesday or Wednesday departure day?

Looking at across the month searches or the ones that are flexible 3 days either way is also a good tip. Kayak and Skyscanner search engines have price alerts. Try to avoid flying on a fri, sat or sun.

For our three trips to USA we booked in sept, November and January all for departure late june.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now