Talk

Advanced search

Travelling longhaul with 5 and 8 year old - what to pack in their rucksacks?

(22 Posts)
thetropicmama7 Wed 10-Dec-14 08:58:54

I would love to hear what others pack in their DCs bags that they take with them on long haul flights.

Heels99 Wed 10-Dec-14 12:01:24

Not a lot is the answer! I pack them book, colouthings etc in their own bag but don't want it to be so heavy that they moan about carrying it so keep it light. I take in adult backpacks full change of clothes for them and me, toothbrushes and paste, snacks, wipes, iPad plus charger and ear phones, I usually take a woollen wrap in case anyone is cold, kindle. That takes up all the available space. Dcs like watching the entertainment on board and generally watch a downloaded film on iPad at the airport. However longest flight we have done is 17 hours so if you are going to oz people who have done that may have other suggestions.
I buy them a magazine at the airport which keeps them busy for a bit. I have one who always sleeps on board and one who is glue to the screen both are good travellers. They are 7.

thetropicmama7 Wed 10-Dec-14 20:56:52

Thank you so much Heels99, very useful info! I will take a wrap/small blanket too, thanks for the tip! and I never thought about downloading films before travel so an especially good one as well :-)

broadsheetbabe Wed 10-Dec-14 21:09:52

DS (7) makes use of the in-flight entertainment (games and movies). He takes his iPad loaded with apps and a book or two but that's about it nowadays. After being fed and watered, he will sleep most of the journey. It's all a far cry from those days of long-haul travel with a baby or toddler who needed constant attention!

Longdistance Wed 10-Dec-14 21:10:44

My dds are 3 and 5. For my 5 year old I buy her one of those kids magazines with the toy attached. I don't hear from her for two hours. Definitely a blanket, small pillow, favourite toy. Some snacks if they don't like the food much.

thetropicmama7 Thu 11-Dec-14 15:01:23

Thank you all for your ideas! I am so glad I don't have to pack as much this time around! smile

WilliamShatnersPants Sat 13-Dec-14 09:27:51

My two are 5 and 7 and we are flying for 26 hours next week. They've got their own trunki cases so can carry/pull their own bags to the plane. I'm packing them pjs, change of clothes, kid sized headphones, colouring books, crayons and sticker books. DS will prob pack a reading book too.
They will also take a little blanket and pillow each.
Will buy water once we are airside. Will also have a laptop and iPad for emergencies, but they are very excited about all the Harry potter movies and frozen being on the in flight entertainment. They can watch as much tv as they like for once!

AmericasTorturedBrow Tue 23-Dec-14 14:53:43

I do transatlantic trips with my two at least twice a year - they're now 3&6. I pack one carry on which has spare clothes, snacks, iPad, water, milk, small blanket and my toiletries. They each have a very small backpack with a coloring book and some crayons, a cuddly toy and shove a magazine that they choose from the airport.

Flights are all about survival - snacks, screens and sleep

HRHQueenMe Tue 30-Dec-14 03:01:29

Snacks, change of clothes (for you as well, dh just came off a flight having slept on a banana all night) small cuddly toy magazine ipad. No more no less. I bring lidded empty drinks bottles too, ask crew to pour drinks in these, saves spilling and mess. All mine watch tv, eat and fall asleep, they are seasoned good travellers though.

butterfliesinmytummy Tue 30-Dec-14 03:56:24

My two have traveled very long haul at last twice a year since they were born (dd1 is 10 now). I don't pack blankets or pillows as these are available on the plane and take up lots of space. I pack pencils and paper, magazines, iPads and snacks. I have taken pyjamas before and they have changed at about bedtime in the time zone we will arrive in (use the flying time to start adjusting to reduce jet lag). Also I'm not a fan of trunkis, there's never enough space to open them on planes and they are too big to fit under the seat in front so have to go overhead. I spent one flight getting up and down emptying the trunki contents into the seat pocket bit by bit.

SavoyCabbage Tue 30-Dec-14 05:16:07

I take as little as I can. No blankets as there are always loads. I do have noise cancelling headphones that go right over their ears. And I sometimes take some bananas as,you get really sick of the food.

SavoyCabbage Tue 30-Dec-14 05:17:55

And mine always travel in pjs. I wouldn't take a trunki. Opening it up will none hard and it's best to take a squashy bag you can put under the seat.

HRHQueenMe Tue 30-Dec-14 09:16:34

Another fan of travelling in pj's, onsie style pjs are great (asda do great ones cheap) they also take up little space as spare clothes.

AmericasTorturedBrow Wed 31-Dec-14 00:29:43

seconding pj's and lack of trunki's

Madcats Mon 05-Jan-15 14:23:08

I always squeeze in a carrier/waterproof bag and a thin change of clothing (leggings/long-sleeved tshirt) just in case DD has a massive nosebleed/gets sick/spills a drink.

We travel with a Trunki booster seat/rucsac and she gets to choose what she packs; she carries it. Usually this is an iPad (preloaded with a couple of favourite movies, talking/ebooks) and headphones, small notebook and colouring pens. We pack a charger too (in case we can do a sneaky charge before boarding)

I've not long-hauled for a few years, but I suspect DD would be highly delighted if we were to let her play Minecraft for the whole journey!

A couple of times, I've arrived somewhere to be reunited with my luggage a couple of days later so I think I'd sneak in a swimming costume and sunhat too (as well as cross-packing every checked-in case with each others' clothing).

PesoPenguin Tue 06-Jan-15 18:12:42

Also agree with avoid Trunkis! They don't corner at all and you will take all your fellow passenger's ankles out, dc's want to ride on them all the time ( doesn't help above cornering issue) and they're hard to open on the plane.

Ds (5) takes a onesie, neck pillow, his favourite teddies, a book, an empty drinks container and most importantly his iPad and headphones. Nothing else is needed tbh.

PesoPenguin Tue 06-Jan-15 20:46:11

Ooh forgot to add: plenty of snacks!

Ds is a fab eater usually but for some reason doesn't fancy plane food.

piggychops Tue 06-Jan-15 20:50:00

Don't order children's meals on the plane. Our experience is they are fairly poor. Ours were happy with the adult food.

AmericasTorturedBrow Tue 06-Jan-15 22:23:30

Apart from Air New Zealand- their kids meals are ace

LiegeAndLief Thu 15-Jan-15 12:42:38

Mine are now this age and flying is SOOOOO much easier now that they can be plugged into the inflight entertainment system. On our last flight ds spent 6.5 hours (honestly - non stop) playing some football game. They think it's amazing because they can have as much screen time as they like and I think it's amazing because I get to watch a film or two!

They have the trunki car seat back packs which don't take a huge amount, but that's fine. We mainly take things that they will need for the first night just in case we lose the main luggage. So special teddies, one pair of pyjamas (would also double up as spare clothes for flight), usually a couple of books and dd's tangle teezer hairbrush without which I would be unable to approach her head. Also their own headphones. I tend to carry a change of clothes, loads of snacks, the iPad and limited non-screen entertainment like sticker books.

One thing I have found really useful for travelling with kids (or any situation where you have to wait around) is a pack of standard playing cards. Small and easy to have in a pocket, range of games to play, some very easy, can be played pretty much anywhere and gathered up quickly in case you suddenly have to move on.

Artandco Thu 15-Jan-15 12:57:28

We pack very light. They are 3 and 4

They have a mini rucksack each. Containing:
- thin woolen jumper ( in case it gets cold when travelling in summer. )
- thin leggings ( can be used as pjs/ spare outfit if spill or arrive without case)
- pants and pair socks
- swim trunks
( all clothing goes inside small mesh organiser from muji, and stays at bottom of bag)

- x2 small thin books
- X1 small sketchbook and few pens/ pencils
- headphones
- empty drinking bottle ( gets filled after security)

I take an iPad. And headphone splitter so both can watch at same time if needed. Usually just look out of window or watch plane tv though. I always pack myself change oft shirt, underwear and Bikini also incase of lost luggage. And have everyone's toothbrush

pud1 Thu 15-Jan-15 20:23:27

I did 9 hours with dds last year. they are 5 and 6. we packed all the usual. iPads, books, snacks and colouring books but the most entertaining by far was activity books that had stickers of clothes that you stick on girls to dress them up. they spent most of the flight playing with them. we were also lucky enough To sit next to an old dear who chatted to my youngest for ages.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: