Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration for long-haul adventure with 4 year old and 2 year old

(11 Posts)
Jude76 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:09:35

My husband has got a zany idea that he'd like to go on a big adventure with the kids next year. His ideal would be a Thailand beach hut for 3 weeks with random culture days as and when but I think we need more certainty cos the kids are so young. I'd be up for some sort of family-friendly retreat or something. Any ideas? Thanks.

mummymeister Wed 12-Nov-14 16:05:58

Canada. Lots of outdoor stuff, places to stay and things to do but civilisation also if you need it with 2 little ones. Personally, I would pick somewhere that didn't need anti malarials or too many jabs.

MadeInChorley Wed 12-Nov-14 16:08:47

Canada's not bad idea and agree if avoid malarial areas. We took our 2 and 4 year old DSs on an RV tour of the American East Coast. Lots of random stops and they loved it. We went early autumn.

Pikkewyn Wed 12-Nov-14 16:10:46

What about South Africa? We did Cape Town, garden route and Eastern Cape with our girls at that age and it was so successful we have just been back with them at 4 and 6.

broadsheetbabe Wed 12-Nov-14 18:14:07

I'd second South Africa. We did Cape Town to Addo in February. Beaches, mountains, safari, and much, much more.

DS, who is seven, has spoken about the trip daily since then!

We've just booked to go to the KwaZulu Natal next year.

Fantastic country, wonderful people and a great exchange rate.

bonhomme Sat 15-Nov-14 16:57:38

Australia is a great destination if you're prepared to travel long haul.

TwoLittleTerrors Thu 20-Nov-14 16:05:58

How about New Zealand? Great country and 3 weeks is perfect for doing it justice. just hire a car and drive it from North to South (or South to North). The local tourist information centres can sort out accommodation for you. Stay in kiwi motels, they are like b&b here, nothing like the US ones. With a kitchenette and car parking.

iseenodust Tue 25-Nov-14 13:28:40

I agree Canada. You could hire an RV or lots of the hotels have mini-suites where you get a bedroom & lounge with kitchenette which gives you great flexibility over eating & bedtimes (very reasonable prices). We did Vancouver & Vancouver Island when DS was a toddler & had a brilliant time.

snowgirl1 Mon 29-Dec-14 18:20:18

I'd go somewhere like South Africa - no jet lag. I can't imagine going somewhere with my 3 year old DD that would involve jet lag - it's bad enough dealing with jet lag myself, let alone in a toddler.

Heels99 Fri 02-Jan-15 12:06:38

Broadsheet , can you advise please?
We have been to South Africa a couple times along the garden route, before children. Would love to go again with kids but the travelling distances involved are putting me off, I don't want them to feel they are spending hours in the car every other day.
What route did you take and where did you stop overnight? How did you manage the car journeys?
Thanks

runoutofideasagain Mon 05-Jan-15 09:15:15

We've been to Thailand 4 times with our children (now 9 and 7). We love it! We generally stay in Ao nang, Krabi for a week plus somewhere else for a week - this has been Kamala, Phuket, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Koh Lanta last time. We had a beach front villa in koh Lanta which was beautiful. Booked through holiday lettings and the very helpful owner. www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/klong-nin-beach/60903

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now