Talk

Advanced search

Singapore Air- ok with children?

(26 Posts)
Helenanback Wed 29-Oct-14 11:49:12

We're hoping to go to Aus next March/April time via Singapore. Best price for the trip we want is with Singapore Air. We've never flown with them before, DC are 6 and 7. Do they cater well for children? any comfort issues? Any comments/advice helpful. Thankssmile

Christelle2207 Wed 29-Oct-14 11:50:34

IMO they're probably one of the best long haul airlines. Good choice.

thestringcheesemassacre Wed 29-Oct-14 11:58:38

Amazing. I've flown with them in my own with 2 kids to Australia about 6 times. Great service every time.

Helenanback Wed 29-Oct-14 12:07:19

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that was the case but was a bit worried as they do seem a bit cheaper than other airlines.

Mutley77 Wed 29-Oct-14 12:36:47

Singapore Airlines are one of the better ones IMO (Qantas, BA, Cathay, Emirates). I would have also put Malaysian in this list but unfortunately I do consider them risky now even though they are probably not!

I don't know what you want for your 6 & 7 year old DC though and what you are expecting?

Helenanback Wed 29-Oct-14 13:34:07

Just good customer service, patience with restless kids, menus and entertainment which are appealing to them. Agree with you re: Malaysia Air even though I know it's not rational!

TheWholeOfTheSpook Wed 29-Oct-14 13:37:44

Agree with the others. I have never been able to fault SA for their family friendly travel.

TheGonnaghoul Wed 29-Oct-14 13:38:47

Marvellous for family travel, in fact, the best. Also had good flights with MAS, Emirates and KLM.

specialsubject Thu 30-Oct-14 10:19:26

the Singapore Girl is famed for a reason - their service and attitudes are always the best, and the food is good too!

it won't be comfortable long-haul in economy, but it never is. Once, just once, I got delayed and bumped to their Raffles class. Sigh...

skitter Thu 30-Oct-14 10:33:52

Singapore are my favourite for flights to Australia. Flying via Singapore is one of the shorter routes and I've always found the staff great and the planes comfortable. I like Malaysian too, though would probably worry too much (probably irrationally) now to fly them.

Ashwagandha Thu 30-Oct-14 10:37:27

I fly to Aus with my DC at least twice a year. Have tried many airlines - Singapore are undoubtedly the best! Just amazing with children.

JassyRadlett Thu 30-Oct-14 10:38:25

Absolute dream. We do Australia once a year (at Easter) and had always done Qantas before, tried Singapore as couldn't face the Dubai layover after Qantas switched hubs. So glad we changed - Singapore were absolutely fabulous, more comfortable, more space.

Have you booked you flights yet? We now do a 12 hour layover in Singapore airport - airside hotel, access to swimming pool etc.

Helenanback Thu 30-Oct-14 10:44:53

Feeling very reassured reading these replies. Have not booked flights yet Jassy but I have heard the airport is rather swish. A longer stopover to use the facilities would definately break up the journey. Wish we could visit once a year but can't make it work with DC school holidays.

Annietheacrobat Thu 30-Oct-14 10:52:52

Another definite thumbs up for Singapore airlines. We always fly with them when heading over to Oz to see DP's family ( pre and post children).

If you do choose to break the journey up, The crowne plaza at the airport is fantastic, has a great swimming pool and does one of the best breakfasts I have had in a hotel.

Mutley77 Thu 30-Oct-14 14:04:00

Jassy what's wrong with Dubai stop, worried now as just booked to fly with my 3 kids and no dh for the first time and am going Emirates via Dubai!!!! Not worried about my 6 and 10 year old but also have a nightmare toddler who will be just two!

Mutley77 Thu 30-Oct-14 14:05:03

Ps can vouch for the Singapore stopover in airport hotel too, was much nicer than equivalent experience in kl.

OldRoan Thu 30-Oct-14 14:07:09

Not only are they ok with children, they once gave me a handful of chocolate bars because a parent had rejected them for her children and "as the next youngest person on the flight, we thought you might want them." grin.

They are wonderful. Although you will feel incompetent and flustered and ugly next to the calm stewardesses who glide around the cabin.

JassyRadlett Thu 30-Oct-14 14:26:19

OP, I'm dreading DS starting school for that reason - all my family is there so an annual trip is pretty much non-negotiable for us. It was the deal with DH when we agreed to live in the UK.

The airport hotel is really easy - it's in the terminal, quick check in and booked in 6 hour blocks. We get a sleep which breaks up the jet lag and also DS gets a good explore/run around the airport. The one in the SA terminal is right next to the free cinema and butterfly house, so lots to see/do. The pool is a definite plus - it's a trek but it's great to stretch muscles after the flight and it's outside, which is great in an airport!

Mutley - I found Dubai a bit of a pain. Nothing much at the airport to keep kids occupied (though looking online I see there's a pool) but the stopover was short so not a dealbreaker. Not much at the airport full stop unless I was missing something - my mother says the business lounge is amazing and it may be that it's really geared towards business travellers. Found it hard to buy formula etc in the airport. I just really disliked the length of the two flights - one really short leg and one long. The balance going through Singapore is better, and there is so much in the airport for kids.

The year we went through Dubai wasn't awful, but going through Singapore is definitely much better. DS was 18 months the time we went through Dubai and while I wasn't massively impressed, I wasn't sobbing at the end of it either.

I think the trouble is that years of Singapore have spoiled all other airports for me!

specialsubject Thu 30-Oct-14 15:06:58

there is no better airport - and I've seen a few!

even without paying, Singapore Changi gives you quiet bits, kids play areas, free internet and couches to lie on. The only caveat is that it is all airside, but if you are in transit that will be fine.

well worth the small fee for the showers too. Nothing like getting on to a plane freshly bathed.

TolstoyAteMyHamster Thu 30-Oct-14 15:14:08

Stopping in Singapore particularly with a rest in the airport hotel is a great way to get there and SA is outstanding. We had a major crisis on a flight out of Singapore once and they were incredible - calm, helpful and gave us lots of support. I didn't think the children's food was great - lots of junk and not much else. But would fly with them again, no question.

Mutley77 Fri 31-Oct-14 12:49:23

Thanks Jassy that's helpful smile All good as I'm only stopping for an hour and fifteen minutes - I had very strict criteria on flight times etc and I don't want to be in an airport for any longer than necessary with the DC on my own (we did 40 mins in Singapore once due to a short delay on the first flight and that was more than perfect for me!)

We are flying from Perth so it's much of a muchness from here either 4.5 to Singers and then long leg to London or long leg to Dubai and 5.5 to London - again on my own I thought getting the long leg done first would be better!!!

You will struggle once your DC are at school. We had kind of stopped the annual trips from UK to Aus for that reason and instead moved to Aus (where I am taking the DC out of school for a month to go back to UK at a time to suit me no questions asked!)

JassyRadlett Fri 31-Oct-14 23:51:34

Ah from Perth I can see Dubai works! We go to Brisbane.

Yeah, we'll have to either do July (ugh -freezing where my family actually live) or scrape together every second we can at Easter and just make the most of it that way. Would love to move back but completely not on the cards in the immediate future...

Rojak Sun 02-Nov-14 09:21:29

SIA are impeccable when it comes to service and fantastic when you're travelling with young children.

I have travelled on my own with very young DC and some examples of customer service you get with them include a steward greeting you as you board and offering to take your bag.

Then before he puts bag up in hold for you, asks if you would like anything from bag for the children. Stewardesses arrange with you before meal service to hold your meal so you can feed the children first so no struggling and juggling trays, bassinet, fretful kids.

Even had one stewardess offer to hold baby while I sorted out bottles and toddler.

Hard to travel with any other airline after that.

Mutley77 Sun 09-Nov-14 01:50:34

Guess I've been lucky as customer service when flying with kids has always been good, trying to think back over all the airlines I've flown with accompanied by children..., certainly Singapore Malaysian Qantas ba Klm..... other than budget airlines when my expectations have been pretty low anyway!

PesoPenguin Tue 06-Jan-15 20:58:19

I'm another who thinks they are fab! Our travel agent forgot to book ds's children's meal, which we found out on the first leg of the flight and by the second leg, the head stewardess had sorted it so he had one ( although it was one day later). They also managed to find a spare lunch box with a drink and a few snacks in so ds was happy. Talking of which, the kid's lunch boxes they give out are great for kids who are all mixed up due to time zones/ changes in routine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: