Talk

Advanced search

San Francisco Hotels

(20 Posts)
wed99 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:33:49

We(DH, DD 15 DD12 and me) are off to California at the beginning of July. we fly into San Fran and are staying 4 nights before heading off to Yosemite. I am really struggling to pick a hotel. Not looking for 5* , have no idea whether I should be just off Union Sq or further out. Everything seems pricey and rooms seem small.
Anyone have any fab suggestions ?

GemmaPomPom Fri 21-Feb-14 13:34:51

Do not stay in the Hotel del Sol. That's all I have to say.

iseenodust Fri 21-Feb-14 13:41:17

I would choose somewhere down near the water. Cable cars or reasonable walk to most areas eg Chinatown, Little Italy, even Union Sq. Just learn which are the less steep streets. Plenty of good eateries along the waterfront.

iseenodust Fri 21-Feb-14 13:44:12

Check out Trop Advisor for Fishermans Wharf hotels.

oranges Fri 21-Feb-14 13:48:40

San Francisco is quite small and easy to get around so don't worry about being right on Union Square. Some ideas:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/may/30/us-san-francisco-best-budget-hotels-hostels-bandbs

wed99 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:01:25

Thank you for the replies
Gemma can I ask why not Hotel de Sol? - I saw it recommended on a old thread

RedNats5 Sat 22-Feb-14 08:20:57

We stayed in fishermans wharf and whilst we loved San francisco we hated fishermans wharf. I'd much have preferred to be near union square and just visited FW early one morning looking round quickly and promptly moving on. Too busy, too touristy for me.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 22-Feb-14 09:03:10

What is your budget per night?.

SF is popular with tourists from all over the world so whilst accommodation is not NY prices, accommodation can be expensive. A room only basis of a King room (1 king sized bed) or a room with two queen (double) sized beds is pretty much standard. I would see in your case whether you can actually have interconnecting rooms or plump for a suite which will be larger.

Re Union Square, I would recommend the Hilton which is just off Union Square along with the Handlery Inn Union Square. These are both in nice areas. Also the immediate area does not have any steep hills and is near the cable car drop off point. The areas between Fishermans Wharf and Union Square have some very steep hill climbs.

turkeyboots Sat 22-Feb-14 09:08:55

I second the Hanery Inn. Stayed with a friend some years ago and it's lovely.

turkeyboots Sat 22-Feb-14 09:09:11

Handlery Inn even.

Hanginggardenofboobylon Sat 22-Feb-14 09:18:47

We stayed at the Huntington on Nob Hill and Galleria Park near union square. I would recommend both although definitely not cheap!
I agree with above posters that being near union square is not essential. The view from nob hill down to the waterfront are amazing and it's not a big city, we walked everywhere and I was 16 weeks pregnant and knackered at the time.
Have an amazing time, I love San Fran!
Where are you staying in Yosemite?

cobaltcow Sat 22-Feb-14 21:13:47

We have booked the Abri, near Union Square and very near the cable car depot or stop or so it says. Quite small but the reviews were very positive.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 23-Feb-14 09:38:32

I know where this hotel is (ate in the subway next door); its very noisy there.

cobaltcow Sun 23-Feb-14 12:23:05

Thanks Attila! Yes did a google earth street view and saw the Subway which will keep the kids happy. We have requested a courtyard room away from the street - hopefully.

GemmaPomPom Sun 23-Feb-14 13:42:24

Gemma can I ask why not Hotel de Sol? - I saw it recommended on a old thread.

Noooooooooooo, don't stay there. I will PM you a link to why not. My DH nicknamed it the 'Hotel Hell Hole'. Truly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life. And I have stayed in some shitholes, trust me. It wasn't even cheap.

pebbles1234 Sun 23-Feb-14 13:53:25

The chancellor, on union sq, cable cars go past the door, really handy for the muni and very reasonably priced. There were free coffee, cookies and fruit in the lobby when we stayed, think there still is. Highly recommend!

Crowler Wed 26-Feb-14 22:06:46

It's the most charming city you'll ever visit. I normally stayed at the Fairmont, I have no idea if it's expensive now - perfect location, just off Union Square. Have fun.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 26-Feb-14 22:13:25

I love San Francisco, we spent a week of our honeymoon there. We stayed in the Westin St Francis on Union Square. Perfect location. Would definitely not have been happy staying in Fisherman's Wharf.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 26-Feb-14 22:36:31

We stayed in the Argonaught in Fishermans wharf, but away from the busy bit. It was a lovely hotel and it had a cable car stop close by.

Its been my favourite city since I first visited about 25 years ago, so I was really pleased that our kids fell in love with it too. Yosemite is amazing too - I'm really envious of your holiday plans.

elQuintoConyo Wed 26-Feb-14 23:11:30

We stayed in the Majestic up near Nob Hill. Old, survivrd the 1906 earthquake. 3* massive rooms with four-poster beds. Stayed there 5 nights, loved it. Booked very cheaply through edreams.com or trivago.com or some such. When.we got there they upgraded us to a massve suite smile

Both Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland stayed there nigh on ten years - not speaking to each other!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now