Talk

Advanced search

Flying to Australia-which airline?

(32 Posts)
Bessymessy Thu 20-Feb-14 20:44:24

We're planning to visit Australia over Christmas with DS7 and DD6. They've never done a long haul flight before and we don't know which airline is best for trips to Oz with Dc. Price is a consideration but prepared to pay more if it means an easier flight. Don't mind about where the stopoff is as planning to go straight through because of time constraints.

Is there any difference between airlines or are they all essentially the same when flying with Dc? Any good or bad experiences?

specialsubject Thu 20-Feb-14 21:23:23

with no stopover it really doesn't matter. They all have big planes, seat-back TVs etc.

think about departure times but with this monster journey, you can't really win!

Bessymessy Thu 20-Feb-14 21:43:24

Thanks special. I was sort of thinking that might be the case but hoping otherwise.smile

Ifcatshadthumbs Thu 20-Feb-14 21:45:15

We flew with Singapore airlines, no complaints at all, very good service and very efficient stop off in Singapore airport.

TheGonnagle Thu 20-Feb-14 21:45:58

Singapore Airlines would be my number one choice. Emirates for regional departures and consider Malaysia too (although their service isn't quite as good).
My dd loves Emirates because they give her toy monsters, could be a deal breaker grin

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 20-Feb-14 21:47:36

If you plan at least a few hours (can't remember minimum) at Singapore you get a free tour of Singapore. It's o an amazing airport. Lots of lounging bed/chairs u can sleep, a butterfly house, open air swimming pool.

We will go via Singapore next time we go and plan to stop and recover a bit en route.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 20-Feb-14 21:48:18

I'm madly considering taking a 3 year old.

AppleYumYum Thu 20-Feb-14 22:15:20

I fly to Aus quite a bit with dc, either Qantas or Emirates. Out of those two I prefer Qantas as they are much more helpful and friendly etc. I also prefer the way they treat the flight as long haul (assume you're doing the kangaroo route etc, overnight bag of snacks/drink, like the A380 layout with drink/snacks area where you can stretch your legs at the back of plane, also seem to have more toilets) rather than Emirates who are more into sectors and don't care where you are going after Dubai.

I hate stopping in Dubai now though, it gets bigger and bigger, seemingly to fit in more ridiculous fountains and escalators the size of 10 story buildings... last time I had to get on a shuttle train between gates within the same terminal? They do have red maclaren strollers in stands to use everywhere which is handy. It was easier stopping in Hong Kong, Singapore or Bangkok for the transit. It is now a massive trip to go through security again and get to the new gate to connect to your other flight, which is hard work with kids or if you are carrying a few bags.

Emirates do give out a little pack with a monster toy and blanket, although all airlines do child packs. I have found the Emirates flight attendants cold and not usually very friendly or helpful with children. They ignore you pressing the call bell, quite a few flights I've had to request the bassinet over and over from several different flight attendants etc. Even just a glass of water in the night when you are wedged against the window and can't get out is met with annoyance...

Have always heard good things about Singapore airlines.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 20-Feb-14 22:35:15

Singapore had fantastic flight attendants last time we went (we've only been once with children though) and kept checking if there was anything they could do - all smiled and tried to entertain children, bought food out separately for each parent so one could eat while other entertained child etc...

sleepdodger Thu 20-Feb-14 22:37:22

Virgin via hk every time
Great with kids
Decent food and flight times
Good ents

mythbustinggov Thu 20-Feb-14 22:41:04

Qantas & BA you stay on the same aircraft, most others you change at the stopover. I've had my luggage lost too many times to want to change planes if I don't need to. Having said that, Qantas or Singapore with Cathay (with a Hong Kong stopover) and BA a close second. Don't like Emirates although they are cheaper.

atomicyoghurt Thu 20-Feb-14 22:42:57

I flew to NZ with dd age 21 months and dd age 5 months. I flew Singapore Airlines and they were AMAZING.

would def. Recommend them.

atomicyoghurt Thu 20-Feb-14 22:43:52

I flew to NZ with dd age 21 months and dd age 5 months. I flew Singapore Airlines and they were AMAZING.

would def. Recommend them.

verybadhairdoo Thu 20-Feb-14 22:51:14

they are all pretty much the same tbh. Cathay, Qantas, BA, Emirates that kind of thing. Clearly not Air Vietname or Air China et al

Maryz Thu 20-Feb-14 22:51:23

We went a long time ago, but my kids (who were similar ages to yours at the time) would vote for Quantas every time. They had better on-flight entertainment and more importantly, they served cornettos for one memorable meal grin

We did one dire leg with BA, never again - delayed, filthy plane, broken screens and rude staff.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 20-Feb-14 23:14:58

Oooh I'm all excited now. We're going next Easter and just planning whether to actually stopover in Singapore or just stop in the hotel airport for some sleep/explore the airport or just a day stop and sleep wherever.

smile All seems a bit real!

Ifcatshadthumbs Thu 20-Feb-14 23:35:57

Singapore is fab and IME stopping over for a few days cost us very little. Admittedly it was a few years back but our my return flight to oz with 5 day stop over in Singapore cost less than £1000

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 20-Feb-14 23:39:13

It comes as an add on with the flight... and is very tempting. However if none of us have slept it might end up as an expensive stop to sleep instead of a time to sightsee...

I didn't have children the times I flew and planned to stop!

ShanghaiDiva Thu 20-Feb-14 23:44:34

Cathay or Singapore airlines.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Fri 21-Feb-14 00:11:36

Singapore are amazing with kids. Emirates and Qantas are fine. BA are absolute shit.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Fri 21-Feb-14 00:14:10

Oh I want to stay in Singapore too now. There's more I want to do than 2 days worth... and I had no idea they had a universal studios (completely not the point of a stop at Singapore... but if we're there...)

4PlusMum Fri 21-Feb-14 00:16:46

Book a flight on the A380. Whichever airline you use, they generally have better facilities.

Ifcatshadthumbs Fri 21-Feb-14 00:18:42

Ooh do singapore night safari that was fab

MrRected Fri 21-Feb-14 00:22:57

Despite the terrible press in the past few days. Etihad. Every single time.

I have flown - Qantas, British Airways, Singapore and Etihad wins hands down.

MrRected Fri 21-Feb-14 00:23:18

Or Qatar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now