Talk

Advanced search

3 weeks long haul with 3yo and 8mo - where?

(14 Posts)
rumtumtugger Sun 16-Feb-14 17:06:46

Where is a good place to go for 3 weeks (travelling around up to 4 different locations) with a toddler and baby? I think it'll be some time April - July during term time. Somewhere...
- warm but not too hot to venture outside
- has a nice beach and can swim in the sea
- don't need too many vaccinations
- interesting cultural sights/activities that will entertain both adults and kids
- great food! DCs will eat anything
- not too expensive. Japan would be a dream destination but I don't think we'd be able to afford it.

givemeaclue Mon 17-Feb-14 11:34:12

Spain
Italy
Greece
South Africa
USa
Turkey

elvisola Mon 17-Feb-14 11:35:10

Cuba

Weegiemum Mon 17-Feb-14 11:37:26

We did 3 weeks in Central America (Guatemala/Honduras) then 3 weeks in Canada with dc aged 16m, 3y3m and 5y3m. We managed C.A. as I speak good Spanish and we stayed with friends. West Coast Canada was very easy, lots of stuff to do with dc.

rumtumtugger Tue 18-Feb-14 20:24:06

Would rather not Europe as we can go there more easily for 1-2 week holidays. Cuba is an interesting one - we're going to Florida for my cousin's wedding next year so that could be an option to add on then if it's not still too onerous to get there from the USA.

I think more Asian suggestions would be good - has anyone been travelling around Thailand with young DCs? South Korea? Malaysia? Anywhere you don't need to take antimalarials?

elizabethsmum Tue 18-Feb-14 22:54:54

we have been to thailand several times before and with DC's- twice with DD1 when she was 2.5 and 3.5. This year we are also taking DT's who will be aged 3.5 by the time we go (DD1 now 8). I have found it to be a very child friendly destination. We break the journey up by flying via Dubai. We have only ever stopped for a couple of hours in the airport but this year will also be adding on a 2 night stop over on the way back there.

We have found plenty for the kids and whole family to do in Bangkok, chaing mai, hua hin and koh samui. You do need jabs but think just Hep A and Typhoid? we have never taken malaria tablets.

We also took DC's to mexico a couple of years ago and had a great time. ( I was put off Cuba by ? lack of availability of things like nappies- not sure if this was accurate but with 20 month old twins at the time I just didn't want to risk it!)

HTH

givemeaclue Wed 19-Feb-14 08:21:56

Hi Elizabeth mum, do you have recommendations for itinerary or where to stay in thailand? Thinking of taking my own twins next year. It is that or disney Florida!!!!

elizabethsmum Wed 19-Feb-14 20:12:41

Hi givemeaclue

Sounds exciting either way! How old are your DT's?

This time our itinerary is fly from Birmingham to dubsi- 3hr airport stopover then on to bangkok.

3 nights in bangkok

7 nights in hua hin (3hrs by road from Bangkok)

Fly back from Bangkok to dubai (2 night stopover) then home.

previously when dd1 was small we did

bangkok 3 nights
chaing mai 3 nights (flew up- 1 hr flight)
5 nights koh samui (flew from chaing mai- koh samui)
Then flight back to Bangkok - 2 more nights in Bangkok then home.

This time that would be too expensive with 5 of us and too many flights for me to handle (with the kids;)

Have done several variations on this but only places I can advise on having been are those mentioned- am sure others can advise on other thai beach destinations tho!

TheGonnagle Thu 20-Feb-14 21:52:55

April- July is green season for a lot of Thailand's West coast, think extremely hot in April getting wetter as you go along.
East coast Malaysia would be good, Tioman or Redang maybe? We are heading down to Bali in April as they head out of the wet season then. We took dd to Bali at 6 months and had a ball, returning she will be 4. THe Balinese love children, she's going to have a wonderful time.
We took her to Thailand and Malaysia too- any combo will be fine, have a wonderful time!

rumtumtugger Fri 21-Feb-14 11:38:27

Ahhh Gonagle it's obvious - Bali!! Awesome place - we spent 2.5 months there before the DCs were born. Perfect. Not sure why I didn't think of it!

givemeaclue Fri 21-Feb-14 18:02:48

Elizabeth mum they will be 7.so good age if I can only decide where to go!

nannyafrica Fri 21-Feb-14 22:10:34

Sri Lanka is amazing. Great beaches, sights, wildlife and food. We hired a great private car and driver for 3 weeks which cost £600 and that was the drivers accommodation also. We booked our own accommodation via www.booking.com average cost £40 night. We stayed at a hotel called Turtle Bay in Tangalle £95 double for H/B all you could eat seafood straight from the sea on to the bbq.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g304142-d1674695-Reviews-Turtle_Bay-Tangalle_Hambantota_District_Southern_Province.html
you can watch turtle on the beach and take a boat ride to the bird sanctuary. There is Willpattu and Yala national parks to see elephants and leopards. Lion rock to climb. we also did cookery lessons with a local family in their kitchen all the family was there including babies (one was strapped to my back!) We love Sri Lanka.

givemeaclue Sat 22-Feb-14 08:36:45

Is it true that not many places to swim in sea in Sri Lanka due to currents?

TheGonnagle Sun 23-Feb-14 20:37:37

See- Bali is the answer! If you're there in April I'll see you on the beach smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now