Talk

Advanced search

New York - summer or Christmas??

(17 Posts)
MrsCaptainJackSparrow Sat 15-Feb-14 13:32:16

I'm planning a trip to New York this year. Myself, partner and ds who is currently 11 months.

I've always wanted to see the Christmas lights but I've read they aren't turned on until after thanksgiving. Is this true? I was looking at going the end if November. The first week in December is a lot more expensive.

Or would it be better to go in the summer when the weather is better and days are longer ???

LadyKooKoo Sat 15-Feb-14 13:38:34

Have been several times at different times of the year and it is cold cold cold in November/December. I would not recommend taking an almost two year old though as it will really restrict what you can do.

VegasIsBest Sat 15-Feb-14 13:45:34

Winter in New York with a young kid would be my idea of hell. Why not go somewhere more family friendly now and save New York for when he's older or go on an adults only trip?

MrsCaptainJackSparrow Sat 15-Feb-14 14:05:05

Thanks for the replies. I was left an inheritance last year and wanted to use sone of it to go to New York as it's always something I'd loved to do. And think well end up spending the money on other things if we wait until ds is older. Christmas sounds magical but I can appreciate not idea with a small child.

Friends have suggested September instead.

LadyKooKoo Sat 15-Feb-14 14:15:39

Put the money in an account where you need to give 60 days notice to access the money. Honestly, you will get there and wish you could do so many of the things you won't be able to because of your dc.

juneau Sat 15-Feb-14 14:17:26

Neither are ideal times of year to visit, TBH, especially with a baby in tow. The summers are stinking hot and humid and Christmas is busy and can be very cold. As you're not bound by school holidays I would recommend going either May/June or Sept/Oct, my two favourite times of year in NY.

defineme Sat 15-Feb-14 14:23:07

Summer was hell in New York-I couldn't walk anywhere it was so humid and the rain drenched through my clothes to my pants when I just crossed the street. Fabulous place, but not in August.
Dh has ben in winter, took winter coat and so on, but had to buy thermals and couldn't stay outside for long-google the weather right now-a lot of snow drifts.
Spring or autumn would be much better.
Are you sure you want to take the baby?
Mind you my best city break ever was Paris with 2 yr old ds1-very family friendly.

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Sat 15-Feb-14 14:28:44

Go for spring / autumn. May or sept. still warm and lovely vs uk but not scorching or freezing.

MicrochipsAndMemories Sat 15-Feb-14 14:51:19

We went in March and it was lovely and warm but not too hot. I don't think it matters when you go though because it's so amazing there you'll want to go again one day anyway :D

MrsCaptainJackSparrow Sat 15-Feb-14 14:57:26

Thank you. It was September rather than the summer we were considering. I'm now thinking maybe a shorter break rather than. The week we planned and then a long weekend in December when ds is a bit old

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 15-Feb-14 17:19:53

Its bitterly cold there in the month of December; freezing infact and with lots of snow. I would go earlier in the year, April and May are good months.

Pickles79 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:58:30

I went in the winter with my 18 month old daughter. Yes, it was very cold. But it was magical and I'd do it again and again. There's plenty to do with small children. We were there ten days and had loads to do every day. She loved it.

Electryone Tue 18-Feb-14 22:07:22

Ive been last year, only for a few days mind you but the weather was perfect, warm and dry, it was 31st August till 2nd September. We had our boys with us who had a great time but they are a bit older than your DS at 5 and 11. I dont think I would go with a toddler, no matter what time of year! We were only doing a stop over on the way to California but we loved it and now me and DH have booked to go back for 3 days beginning December for his 40th, always wanted to see the lights...and child free this time!!

BlueFrenchHorn Wed 19-Feb-14 15:07:40

I think christmas in NY with a toddler would be lovely - many toddlers live there and manage to survive!

I would just make sure you plan and organise as much as possible to make is stressfree. Arrange for babysitters through the hotel for dinners out with just your dh, prebook tickets to see santa at dept stores, Papuan an itinerary.

I think there's a christmas lights tour you can do on a bus - I'm sure your little one will enjoy that.

Just wrap up and be organised.

BrooklynMamma Thu 20-Feb-14 18:13:38

You can easily hit the City in late November and catch most of the Christmas decorations and pizzazz that New York has to offer during the holiday season. Technically, you'll already be seeing some spike in prices adjusted for the holidays, but yes, as you've noted, prices of hotels and flights, etc. just continue to rise into December, so if you're happy to travel in late November, all the better for your wallet. If you want to catch the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center, however, be sure to check on the dates; tree lighting usually occurs during the week following Thanksgiving. Also, don't listen to those moaning on about the "cold." Late November and December (+/- 4C) are hardly the thick of New York winter (that's more like January and February), and skipping out on such a cultural treat as Christmas in New York because the weather is slightly cooler than at home seems to be a bit short-sighted. It's not as though you're relocating there. In other news, summer days are, yes, longer and the weather is warmer than in winter, but the weather is also warmer to a fault (+/- 31C), humid, and can remain extreme (at times +/- 37C) for days at a time. These extremes leave most New Yorkers chomping at the bit to get out of the City during July and August. Where comparing the two, late November/December is much more manageable and similar to weather in the UK than July/August. In any event, if you want to prioritize weather, then shoot for May/June or September/October. There are no more comfortable times to roam around New York than during those months. In terms of things to do, New York remains vibrant and active all year 'round. You can find just as many things to do with kids during the winter as you can during the spring and summer. Good luck with deciding on your travel dates, and have a wonderful trip, whenever you may go!

piratedinosaursgogogo Thu 20-Feb-14 18:23:53

I'm in my fourth year living in New York and still getting my head around the extremes of weather. I haven't seen grass for about six weeks and have a 4ft pile of ice just sitting on the lawn waiting to melt.

Regarding the comment above about your toddler being fine in a NY winter as children live in NY and cope... I think you will find that it is rare for the children who actually live in the city to be taken on the Manhattan 'tourist' trail to fight against the crowds. When I actually lived in Manhattan, I found that my friends with babies and toddlers never went anywhere near Midtown at all, any time of the year. I remember the first time I went to see the lights at Rockefeller in December, it was so crowded that people were actually holding strollers above head height with children in them as this was safer than being at ground level with all the jostling going on. Madness.

BrooklynMamma gives good advice on good times to visit.

Crowler Wed 26-Feb-14 21:55:44

Summer in NYC is hell. Don't do it. Fall, winter, spring - all nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now