Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Packing for family of 5 , Florida in July

(4 Posts)
escape Sat 15-Feb-14 11:21:51

Slightly embarrassed to start this thread, as I jump on planes for work as if they were buses, and we lived abroad for 8 years ourselves. However, we are going on holiday in July as a family for the first time in 5 years smile
Then it dawned on me that we have actually never taken a big holiday as a family before ( i.e. not visiting relatives etc ) .
So.., obviously with 5 mths to go I am being tad previous, but i nee dot buy everything new and don't want to waste any money or packing space.

We have been before, so I know it's not the kind of holiday you need to be any more than smart casual on, and that you rarely return to your room to change and head back out.

Beach towels - one each enough? Obvously wasted out and dried throughout the fortnight?
Shoes - the boys lived in crocs abroad ( no socks) - are they practical for all that walking or are we looking at trainers/converse and socks for us all to be practical ( dies a fashion death inside )

Any hints or tips? Please help if so!

mummymeister Sat 15-Feb-14 15:50:25

I do a list of clothes that we need for the length of holiday. then I halve it. always take plenty of washpowder tablets so you can wash things out. we always take at least 3 pieces of footwear because we do a lot of walking. most things you can buy if you need when there.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 15-Feb-14 17:10:13

What part of Florida?. Most people wear trainers with socks and or flip flops but flip flops in particular are awful to walk around in. T shirts and shorts suffice; if you're going for two weeks take enough for a week. You can buy more out there.

Beach towels are heavy and take up luggage space; buy them if needed when you are in the resort.

Put the clothes on the bed and then halve the quantity of said clothes.
Half the clothes and twice the money is a good maxim.

Tell credit card company in advance of travel that you will be in Florida from x till y then to prevent a "stop" marker on your card.

Budgiegirlbob Sat 15-Feb-14 22:11:25

We are a family of 5, and are fairly light packers. If you have access to a washing machine / dryer in the villa/ hotel, then you don't need to take too much, maybe four daytime and a couple of evening outfits each. My kids wore trainers in the flight, plus packed crocs. One beach towel each would be fine.

One lightweight jumper/hoodie each, plus what they wore on the journey. No coats ( but did pack lots if those waterproof ponchos for the parks- much cheaper to buy on line at home than buy in the parks - fashion really does go out of the window!)

If you do need anything while you are there, it's easy and cheap to get things -Walmart was our friend for sunglasses and tshirts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now