Talk

Advanced search

Off to the States soon, what have I forgotten?

(43 Posts)
HermioneWeasley Sat 15-Feb-14 09:44:14

I've done the ESTAs and website says they're approved (is there anything else I need to do?)

I've got lots of small notes for tipping

I've got travel adapters

What have I forgotten?

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 09:58:06

travel insurance? Hope not!

HermioneWeasley Sat 15-Feb-14 10:44:34

I have it with my bank account, but you're right, I need to check how comprehensive it is

mummymeister Sat 15-Feb-14 10:49:31

good size small rucksack for carrying "stuff" around in. things to do on the plane. money belt that is comfortable and you feel able to wear. Printed itinerary list with the flight details on, the relevant telephone numbers, details of the accom you have booked etc. have found having it all on one A4 sheet tucked into the money belt really useful.

ihatethecold Sat 15-Feb-14 10:50:47

take your own headphones the ones on the plane are not very comfortable

HermioneWeasley Sat 15-Feb-14 12:40:08

Great tips, thanks

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 12:48:32

you MUST check that travel insurance NOW. You cannot take any chances going to the States with iffy insurance, not with their medical bills.

NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT.

also tell the bank where you are going so your cards will work.

SanityClause Sat 15-Feb-14 12:51:19

Make sure the items you will be plugging into the adapters are suitable for 110 V. It's not enough just to use an adaptor!

HermioneWeasley Sat 15-Feb-14 12:53:35

I've got 8 weeks before I go and I promise I will check my travel insurance!

caketinrosie Sat 15-Feb-14 13:02:49

Ooh clever op what a useful thread! Me and dd are off to the house of mouse for her 16th bday cannot wait but am freaking out at not having dh with me to share the load do all the work grin

starkadder Sat 15-Feb-14 13:08:01

Make sure passport has at least six months of validity starting from date of entry to the US.

lljkk Sat 15-Feb-14 15:30:06

right clothes for the weather?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 15-Feb-14 17:18:09

Have you done the API (Advance Passenger Information) as required by the airline as well?.

Passport

Decent travel insurance cover for healthcare is a must for the US (having had to use it ourselves).

Take food on aircraft but leave any uneaten stuff behind. Do not rely on airline to fully provide re food.

Do not bring in any fruit into the US, any uneaten fruit must remain on the aircraft.

Do tell credit card company in advance of your travel plans so that a stop marker is not placed on your credit card account.

All and any medications needed.

You can lock your suitcase going to the US but do not lock your case on returning to the UK. If the TSA (in their infinite wisdom) decide to open your case to inspect it and see it locked without means of access, they will bust the suitcase lock open. Use a luggage strap with a TSA lock on it instead to secure it particularly on the return leg to the UK.

frenchfancy Sat 15-Feb-14 18:28:41

Good thread OP we are going to LA in two weeks (and counting).

Where did you get the small notes from?

napoleonsnose Sat 15-Feb-14 18:46:59

For travel to the US, your passport does not need any additional validity beyond the duration of your stay. Found this out last year after I had spent £72 renewing mine for a trip to NY!

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 20:42:28

sorry to be a bore, OP, but check the insurance now. You need it to cover you for cancellation (hope not) at the moment, and then for medical etc once you are on your holiday.

enjoy!

starkadder Sat 15-Feb-14 20:45:14

Napoleon - it does though! I think you were wise to renew yours or you would have had issues.

Ilikesweetpeas Sat 15-Feb-14 20:48:52

Curious about the passport validity, I have had conflicting advice re whether it needs to be valid for 6 months post return?

Panzee Sat 15-Feb-14 20:49:54

You've forgotten to take me!

kaumana Sat 15-Feb-14 20:50:42

naploeonsnose My DS15 passport runs out in October we are going to the States in July. I assumed he would have to have at least 6 months post travel which means we have to renew his.

However, he has multiple trips abroad prior to July and I'm worried I won't be able to renew prior to July. Can I ask where you found this info?

kaumana Sat 15-Feb-14 20:51:41

Oh and thanks in advance . smile

ShadowOfTheDay Sat 15-Feb-14 20:53:50

email photocopies of important documents to yourself too sooooooooo much easier to replace a passport, find a number for the credit card that was stolen (so you can't look on the back for the phone number to call etc......)

mathanxiety Sat 15-Feb-14 21:05:04

From US Customs and Border Protection website
'Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. For a list of countries exempt from the six month rule, see Six Month Club'

The Six Month Club is a group of countries whose passports do not need to be valid for 6 months after the proposed date of travel. The passport just needs to be valid for the entire travel period. The UK is in the Club. China is not..

But maybe call the US Embassy.

kaumana Sat 15-Feb-14 21:06:21

mathsanxiety Thank you.

mathanxiety Sat 15-Feb-14 21:07:29

If you take prescription medication, bring your prescription with you. It will identify the medication if that is challenged, and also you can possibly get a refill if you run out or lose your medicine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now