Talk

Advanced search

What is the best thing to do in NYC next week ?

(17 Posts)
ladypanbanisha Tue 11-Feb-14 08:47:16

I am spending a couple of days in my own with my 2 boys (9 and 13 ) in NYC over half term.

What shall we do ? I have never been there and have no idea. I am quite worried as I am not used to travel.

We are staying at a hotel in Times Square.

Please help !

ladypanbanisha Tue 11-Feb-14 18:05:05

Anyone ?

Redtartanshoes Tue 11-Feb-14 18:10:27

Am very jealous!

Seaport is lovely... Nice shops and restaurants but "old" feeling. You can also get boat tour from here.

Usual suspects of course Central Park, Natural History Museum, Top of the Rock. Grand Central Station is also worth a visit as is China town/SoHo/little Italy.

The big toy shop (forget name), M&M store, Rockafeller Centre. There used to be a type 42 destroyer (I think) that was worth a visit too although no idea if it's still there

Redtartanshoes Tue 11-Feb-14 18:13:44

Sorry, it's Intrepid Sea Air and Space museum.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 11-Feb-14 18:35:36

Website for the Intrepid (they're doing lots of things for children there next week) www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Centre) is worth doing for the view particularly on a nice day.

Toys R Us at Times Square is worth a look around as well.

ladypanbanisha Tue 11-Feb-14 20:15:25

Thanks it looks like that intrepid museum will be good and we will be there for kids week.

rachelmonday1 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:22:09

If you're a shopper, then you must visit Woodbury Common. It has hundreds of brand stores, selling discount product. It's about a 30 minute bus ride from the Bus Terminus, but well worth it!

joydivisionovengloves Tue 11-Feb-14 20:37:47

The toy shop is FAO Schwarz

ladypanbanisha Tue 11-Feb-14 20:47:53

We will def do the toy shop and m and m' s store. I think I will be paying for this forever !

ladypanbanisha Tue 11-Feb-14 20:48:28

Any good places to eat for children near Times Square ?

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Wed 12-Feb-14 16:47:18

Junior's is good - a proper diner type place with the best cheesecake. Lots of burgers, chilli etc

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 12-Feb-14 18:41:59

A good website for you to look at:-

www.timessquarenyc.org/dining/index.aspx#.UvvAWtjiuDY

explodingheadbrain Wed 12-Feb-14 19:59:32

Thank you. I had looked at juniors website and will have dinner there one evening. I love cheesecake and am looking forward to it !

LottieTee Thu 13-Feb-14 15:36:12

Take a walk on the Highline and have a drink in the bar at the Standard Hotel. What. A. View.

TheZeeTeam Thu 13-Feb-14 15:56:50

Ellen's Stardust Diner is good entertainment with kids in tow, even if not particularly good food, as the waiting staff all sing. It's on Broadway and 51st.

If you like Habachi, Benihana is fun to eat with kids too. W56th between 5th and 6th Aves. Pizza joints are everywhere, but it's worth walking out of Times Sq (we normally aim for 8th Ave and above) for really good ones. Have a hot dog from a cart, just because it's NYC and you can.

The Intrepid is brilliant for your aged children. The Natural History Museum is great...watch Night at The Museum the night before in your hotel room. My children adore The Museum of the Moving Image, if you don't mind the trek to Queen's, and I've never been and felt crowded. Just walking around Central Park is fun (and freeee!). Top of the Rock rather than the Empire State, especially with kids, as the lift is really cool. Take the free ferry to Statten Island to see the Statue of Liberty. Then just hop off and go back again. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

Be warned, it's absolutely freezing here at the moment. It's been a brutal winter so bring hats, gloves, etc as otherwise your kids will be miserable. Also, it's Presidents week (half term) so anything for kids will be busy. That said, it's been such a brutal winter, we and everyone we know are out of here for warmer climes!! Enjoy!

TheZeeTeam Thu 13-Feb-14 15:57:44

And Dylan's candy store, although I'm not such a fan, kids love it!

IHeartKingThistle Thu 13-Feb-14 16:07:51

I was there last weekend. It was fecking freezing (but very cool!). We did Empire State because I wanted to pretend I was in Sleepless in Seattle and the boat tour round the island to the Statue of Liberty. Both mostly nice and warm! In my defence, I have a horrible cough so I couldn't really brave the cold - I wasn't being a wuss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now