Talk

Advanced search

Florida - Easter or Summer holidays.

(13 Posts)
Mckayz Mon 03-Feb-14 13:21:06

We are planning on going to Florida next year.

The DC are in school so can only go in school holidays. We aren't sure if Easter or Summer would be better. I've read that Easter is extremely busy and that Summer is ridiculously hot.

The DC will be 8,6 and 2 at Easter and the 2 year old will have turned 3 by the summer holidays.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

HSMMaCM Mon 03-Feb-14 13:26:44

I've been both times. Easter is quieter and still hot without being boiling. I would choose Easter.

mummymeister Mon 03-Feb-14 15:01:36

If going in the summer go towards the end of the school summer hols. it will be incredibly hot and humid and if not used to this or if they don't cope well you wont enjoy it as much. easter is much better or better still Christmas/new year when the weather is lovely.

Mckayz Mon 03-Feb-14 15:52:50

Christmas isn't possible. Looks like it'll have to be Easter.

couch25cakes Mon 03-Feb-14 17:30:34

In terms of numbers through the gate, Easter is second only to Christmas in terms of busyness (disney geek here). Late August is quiter but very hot. We find that by going in the mornings but and heading out at lunchtime it's manageable. We love August as we can have three weeks there and do everything at a more relaxed pace.

ImASecretTwigletNibbler Tue 04-Feb-14 11:30:08

Go in February or October half-term and take them out for one extra week, it's worth it smile

bonvivant Tue 04-Feb-14 20:33:16

We've been at various times throughout the year. July was fine - the only thing was that the weather was more unpredictable which is more of an issue with waterparks than the theme parks. I didn't find it humid - it was just rainier.

February was a little cool in the mornings and evenings. We went outside of school holidays in Feb as my DS hadn't started at school and I was surprised how busy it was.

The best time we went was October as the weather is great and you have the Halloween parties, plus it wasn't as busy. But our DS gets 2 weeks at October.

However, if you only get a week in October, I would go for Easter.

ChestyNut Thu 06-Feb-14 18:34:57

We went last Easter school holidays....very busy!

Amrapaali Thu 06-Feb-14 18:41:15

Yes, Easter definitely. Even then, it was quite hot.

rookiemater Fri 07-Feb-14 22:14:18

We went at Easter - queues were manageable provided we got there for opening time - easy enough on the first week with jet lag.
It was plenty hot at Easter - apparently it doesn't get much hotter in the summer, but more humid.

fussychica Wed 12-Feb-14 18:13:07

Been in Feb, May & Nov. Weather hottest May, nicest November and fine in Feb. Took DS out of school for a few days each time, tacked onto half terms but this was many moons ago prior to fines! If you can't do that I'd have to say Easter.

TheZeeTeam Wed 12-Feb-14 18:16:20

If you go towards the end of August, I think a lot of the Southern states have already gone back to school so is quieter, but hot.

Easter is Spring Break for us, so imagine it will be mad!

Cheshireblue Thu 13-Feb-14 18:25:19

We go each year in the summer. We have also been in at Easter and while the weather was probably better I think the jetlag is tough at that time as our school gets only 2 weeks and the kids will struggle to get back to normal. I think the crowds are the same at Easter and the summer but I would recommend you try and go as early as possible in the holidays. My kids break up during the first week of July and we try and go then. The weather is generally hot with a quick shower around 3/4pm each day. We have been in August a couple of times but you are nearing hurricane season then and the weather is quite unpredictable sometimes with heavy rain/storms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now