Advanced search

Travel/gap year travel insurance when pregnant- HELP

(4 Posts)
Hallloumi Mon 24-Jun-13 16:05:58

Looking for some advice,
Am supposed to be going to Canada for 1 year with my husband. (He will work, I won't). I'll be 18 weeks pregnant when we fly out and won't be covered by the Canadian Health Service for the 1st 3 months. I'm struggling to find anyone who will cover me for this period 18-31 weeks. I don't have UK private health insurance. Any ideas gratefully received.

sashh Wed 26-Jun-13 05:50:47

My mother has various health problems including terminal cancer, she got travel insurance from the post office. Might be worth a try.

Has your husband signed his contract yet? Could he have a clause put in that they will cover your medical expenses/insure you?

Check with the Canadian Health Service, although you are not covered maybe you can pay to be covered?

Or they can put you in touch with a private insurance provider, I imagine that there are insurance providers for this exact situation as it applies to all immigrants

mrsmortis Wed 26-Jun-13 10:13:16

I would definitely go to your husbands employer. When we bring foreign employees to the UK we source their medical insurance. Even if they aren't going to provide it for you they should be able to point you in the right direction.

mrsmortis Wed 26-Jun-13 10:15:52

Oh and I just googled 'medical insurance canada' and several options came us. You might want to have a look (though I wouldn't pick one randomly I'd still ask your husband's employer for advice)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: