Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Mauritius, please

(3 Posts)
vitaminC Tue 11-Jun-13 12:39:52

We're going on honeymoon for 10 days at the Trou-aux-Biches resort, at the end of this month. I would love any tips or recommendations for our time there, as neither of us has been before.

What would you recommend we see and do? What did you love or hate? What are the essential things we should make time for? What do you wish you'd known or done differently? Do you recommend hiring a car?

FWIW, we're both bilingual (French/English) and we're keen to get off the tourist trail as much as possible and discover the local culture.
Thanks everyone!

Absolutmum Wed 12-Jun-13 13:37:49

Hello
We go every couple of years to see dh's family. I love Trou aux Biches, the beach there is gorgeous! You aren't far from Grand Baie which is the main tourist town for the island. It's worth a visit, really not that touristy. Go to the market, good for souvenirs - silver, sarongs t shirts etc.
Go on some boat trips, there are catamaran trips or smaller boats. Visit some of the tiny islands, and swim with the wild dolphins. They often include a BBQ lunch on the beach.
A trip to Port Louis is good, check out the local market. There are several "experience" type places, Chamarel rum distillery, sugar cane factory and Bois Cheri tea plantation.
Another place I like to visit is the Hindu temple at Grand Bassin, loads of monkeys.
Eat the street food, there will be a man on a bike going up and down the beach, he'll have dholl purée on the back of his bike, tasty split pea flat breads, the rotis are good, and definitely try the gateaux piments, bit like felafels.
Not sure how expensive car hire is, might be good for a few days. The roads around Port Louis can be a bit lively! Avoid rush hour and you'll be ok. The buses are good.
If I think of anything else, I'll post again, have a brilliant time, it's a lovely place.

vitaminC Wed 12-Jun-13 16:37:10

Thank you! This is really helpful smile
I can't wait to get there. Everything I've read makes it sound like such a wonderful place but I don't want to fall into the typical tourist traps, IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now