Talk

Advanced search

Singapore via Helsinki with DS 3.5 - pram or not?

(9 Posts)
PiratePanda Tue 21-May-13 22:19:11

Travelling LHR to Singapore with a 7-hour stopover in Helsinki in December, flying on my own with DS. DS will be 3.5, and we'll be meeting my parents in Singapore. Will be there for 10 days.

I'm trying to work out whether it will be easiest to take a pram, or have DS on foot, with a lightweight back carrier (Ergo) in case he gets too tired to walk. Advantage of DS on foot is I can take a large wheelie case instead of a rucksack. But I'm not sure I'll cope without a pram, either on the flight or at our destination.

Any advice gratefully received!

(FWIW we've flown long-haul with him three times already, but when he was under 18 months and with two adults.)

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-May-13 03:37:52

I am travelling alone with DD back to the UK from Canada in a few weeks. I trump you with DD having done 14 flight in her life. She is younger than yours but she is over 35 pounds so very big. I HATE having a pram. This time I have bought an Ergo and plan on using that.

This is based on:

Easier to deal with luggage
Some airports take your pram at the plane door then give it back at baggage hmm
She is a very good walker
If I really need one while there, I can get a cheap lightweight umbrella stroller

The only issue will be that my older parents won't be able to take her out on their own if they are going somewhere she might need carried. If you will be with them the whole time, or they are younger and can carry, not a problem.

takeaway2 Wed 22-May-13 04:15:10

Sorry but why would you need a pram for a 3.5 year old unless there are other reasons that I know not of? Singapore is v easy to get round without a pram and frankly if you are travelling around on public transport you are better off on foot. As for the stopover in Helsinki, have you thought about what you are doing there (do you get to go out of airport or are you stuck there?).

takeaway2 Wed 22-May-13 04:15:46

My kids are v good walkers though.

PiratePanda Wed 22-May-13 07:31:18

Yes, my DS is a pretty good walker, but he's still not quite 3 and does still need a pram for long walks. He's my first so I have no idea whether children of 3.5 still need prams or not. Hence my uncertainty: if he's going to be with my parents during the day while I work, they might be grateful if it. But I guess we could pick up a cheap one there if needed.

riksti Wed 22-May-13 07:39:23

Can't help you about the need for a pushchair in Singapore but you won't need it at Helsinki airport. They've got the trolleys that come with a child seat. Also, Scandinavian airports are brilliant for waiting with small kids (as much as any airport an be) since they've all got FREE play areas. Helsinki one is small but should still be good for entertainment for a couple of hours.

butterfliesinmytummy Wed 22-May-13 07:49:59

If you can get through the flights, you can hire a buggy in Singapore - a maclaren volo is S$34.50 a week (about GBP 17). You can also rent toys etc if you want: Toy Rental Club. It's on the way from the airport into town so you could always ask a taxi to stop if you're not too tired - or if your parents are here already, they could pick it up for you before you arrive.

PiratePanda Wed 22-May-13 08:25:54

Thanks riksti and butterflies - they're both brilliant tips! I think I'll rusk not taking the pram...

PiratePanda Wed 22-May-13 08:26:39

Ahem.... risk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now