Advanced search

Going to Florida, do I only need to do ESTAs and API?

(13 Posts)
Groovee Wed 13-Feb-13 20:33:44

You'll also need an international driving licence if you plan to drive which can be done at the post office or AA/RAC websites.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 03-Feb-13 17:08:44

Thanks Attila smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 03-Feb-13 17:07:59

API is "Advance Passener Information".

When you book a flight to the US with an airline, they should ask you for this information. API is usually located within the airline's own website for completion.

(BTW I had to pay for a new ESTA to be granted when I renewed my passport. ESTAs can be updated with new travel plans for no charge during the two years these run for. However, for any other changes a new ESTA has to be completed and another $9 US has to be paid).

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 03-Feb-13 16:49:40

Sorry whats the API and where do I find this to do?

NoraSpect Sun 03-Feb-13 08:33:57

I did the last ESTAs in August 2010 so I had to do new ones. That's all sorted now smile

homebythesea Sun 03-Feb-13 00:28:24

You do need To pay to renew- did it recently for new passport numbers

Isityouorme Sat 02-Feb-13 21:07:53

If you got your ESTA in jan 11 then it will have expired. I am pretty sure they are valid for 2years only. And if you do need to renew, don't pay any additional fees.

NoraSpect Fri 01-Feb-13 08:39:48

Thank you, that's really helpful smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 01-Feb-13 07:30:21


The paperwork that needs to be done online in advance are the ESTAs for all of you and the API (Advance Passenger Information) that the airline you are travelling with passes to the US authorities prior to travel.

(For reference only. Please only use the official US government site who charge $9 US per application as there are scammers who charge a lot more).

The white customs form will be either handed to you at check in or on the aircraft (one form per family is only required) and this will need to be shown at US immigration for stamping. No other landing forms need to be completed these days as the ESTA suffices. The customs form BTW asks for the US street address (hotel name/destination), city and state.

(Also do inform your credit card company that you will be in the US prior to travel as stop markers could otherwise be placed on your card. Tell the bank also with regards to the debit card).

NoraSpect Thu 31-Jan-13 19:45:26

Passports are fine.

Great, thank you. Will make a note of the address.

homebythesea Thu 31-Jan-13 19:31:36

Make sure all passports have at least 6 mths on them before they expire

You will have to fill out landing card on the plane so useful to have details of the address you will be at and the passport numbers of everyone in your group

NoraSpect Thu 31-Jan-13 19:27:26

Bump smile

NoraSpect Thu 31-Jan-13 15:13:33

Hi all. We're going to Disney in March, we have been before in Jan 2011 but can't remember- is it just ESTAs and API we need to do before we go? (have already done them) Don't want to get to the airport to find we've forgotten to do something!

Also, if I remember rightly, there is a form you get at check in to fill out? What is that? Just so I can make a note of anything that'd need to be put on it.

Is that then everything or is there another form or something when we land?

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: