Talk

Advanced search

Flights to UK from Oz - help me pack <feeble>

(14 Posts)
ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 02-Oct-12 22:54:14

Help meeeeee as I am hopeless at packing

I am traveling home for the holidays <sings>, I'm so delighted to be going that my mind has gone blank.

I am traveling with 2 children, 7 & 5 (God help me). We are doing Malaysian Airways straight through, hard core, no stopover (just a few hrs in KL Airport).

So far on my packing list I have . . .

Passports
Money
Coloring books
Comfy clothes

er . . . that's it.

Can you help with top tips for A. What we'll need on the plane and B. What to pack for UK Autumn (which I haven't been in for 7 years).

It's Spring here so I have been lolling about in t-shirts for the last couple of weeks and can't remember what the weather's like in the UK in October, blustery? How cold? My eldest daughter has no winter shoes that fit - should I buy some here or rely on trainers until we get back to the UK, then get a cheapo pair as her feet'll prob grow before she needs them again here.

We'll be heading back to blazing Aussie sunshine in November.

Thank you thank you thank you

Lirogiro Tue 02-Oct-12 23:04:55

Defo take toothbrush and perhaps clean underwear if not a whole new outfit to change into when you land as it makes you feel so much better. ALso eye marks and ear plugs for you and kids to aid sleep. Ooo and cardies or hoodies as the flight will be chilly.
For when you get here, you will need warm clothes. We have had our heating on for a few weeks although we live in the north. You could bring layers if you don't have mega coats.
I haven't travelled with children that old but I would take more entertainment. Maybe take some info about the uk and where they'll be visiting so they can get into the trip.
Have lots of fun and think of us heading into winter as you return to sunshine!

ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 02-Oct-12 23:22:18

Thanks heaps Lirogiro.

Great idea re toothbrushes etc, will pack an on-flight toiletries bag. Wipes/small towel/toothbrushes/valium etc etc

Will dig out the eyemask and neck cushion.

I have an iPad, may bring that and daughters gamethingo

Rushes off to write long lists

sashh Wed 03-Oct-12 05:55:17

The weather culd be anything. Yesterday morning I had the heating on and watched rain, by lunchtime it was warm and sunny (UK warm, not Oz warm).

Legging and or tights are your friends, they don't take a lot of room and can be put underneath kother clothes. I'd suggest layers.

Earplugs might be useful.

Re dd shoes - Uggs are still really popular here, and probably cheaper to buy there. Trainers are also fine.

Can you get scarves and gloves for the kids? They will feel the cold more than you.

Have your kids got a camera? Get them to do a news report / blog of their trip to Europe, that should keep them busy.

Longdistance Wed 03-Oct-12 06:15:27

Hey. I travelled back to the Uk in August, and my two were 14mo and nearly 3. You're lucky in that the inflight entertainment will keep them going. With mine I took toys, coloring in, snacks and a portable DVD player.
We had a mix of clothes, but some we didn't use. I had mine in jogging bottoms and jeans and thin long sleeved tops when he weather turned. Both bags were light, 15 and 18 kg, so bought back lots of summer clothes and had an extra holdall.
Happy traveling smile

ClaudiaSchiffer Wed 03-Oct-12 23:59:49

Thanks sshh and Longdistance excellent advice. How long did the battery last on the dvd player btw?

Yesterday I had to spend running around getting dd's passport renewed and today I am going to WRITE LISTS.

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 04-Oct-12 00:02:14

re the passport thing, I don't know if this is standard across all airlines but my travel agent told me that you need to have 6 months remaining on your passport for your return trip. This was specified by Malaysian Airways. My dd only had 2 months on it so we have been frantic in our efforts to get it renewed in time for our trip (6 days time).

suburbophobe Thu 04-Oct-12 00:08:18

Yes, that is standard for all countries outside Europe (that I've been to).

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 04-Oct-12 00:13:08

Blimey I had no idea.

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 04-Oct-12 00:13:16

Obv

WhatSheSaid Thu 04-Oct-12 00:16:10

Complete change of clothes for in between the first and second flight, makes you feel a lot fresher.

Layers of clothes for the UK, remember all the houses will be lovely and warm. I think trainers would be fine for your dd.

You should have posted a couple of days ago, two on the NZ thread have flown to the UK today...you could have compared packing lists with them smile

olibeansmummy Sat 06-Oct-12 22:54:07

We're going the other way at Xmas time and I'm planning to take:

Ds (3):
Small toys
I pod touch
Sticker book
Colouring book
Books about aeroplanes/ Australia
Snacks ( there's nothing worse, even as an adult, than being hungry, bored and constantly looking up and down the aisles for the meal trolley!)
Drinks bottle ( to be filled after security)
Baby wipes!
Full change of clothes
Blanket

Me/ dh:

Book
Make up remover (not for dh lol)
Glasses
Contact lenses and small amount if solution
I phones/ I pad
Full Change of clothes
Treats like chocolate

For the uk, you'll need waterproof, warm coats, jumpers, trousers/ leggings/ tights. As for shoes, just bring trainers and buy cheaply ones here, they're easily available in supermarkets etc so you won't have to trudge into town or anything.

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 07-Oct-12 02:59:32

Thanks so much Olibeansmummy. Your list is really helpful, and a good point about shoes, I was wondering whether to pack the kids wellies but wont now. Will buy cheapos and dump them in the UK.

My kids don't own warm coats, here we make do with jumpers and a raincoat or brolly if pouring as it never gets that cold here.

For their flight bags the kids are taking the following . . .

Toy/blankie for night time comfort
Colouring book
Sticker book
Some pens and a writing book
We might take Uno (keen uno players here)
Reading book

I'm taking . . .

Toiletries - toothbrushes/paste, paracetamol, cleansing wipes, MOISTURISER (tip from all the top models), make up etc, small shampoo etc for shower in KL
Small towel
Hairbrush
Book
Clean clothes for all of us
Passports
Tickets
Money
SNACKS

Will buy water post security clearance as in my experience the Stewards can be very mean with water and the air cabin is vair dry. (Another supermodel top tip).

I'm starting to feel a bit stressed about it and panicking that we'll all get madly feverish and sick in the next few days (note: none of us have been sick all winter so far).

olibeansmummy Sun 14-Oct-12 19:04:16

Good idea to bring a towel! I forgot to mention toothbrushes etc but we will have them too of course.

Yes no point bringing wellies and you can get cheap but warm coats in the supermarkets too for about £10ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now