Talk

Advanced search

help me find a cheap flight to NY

(5 Posts)
bettykelly123 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:37:49

ive been given the opportunity to travel to new york in january with my sister. im really excited but have come down to earth now that ive seen how much the flight will cost. it will be a shopping trip for about 5 days, ideally manchester to newark , we will be stayin with my sisters friend in nj. as its a shopping trip i will need two bags to check in on return. continental are the cheapestflights ive found but second bag will cost $100 so bumps the cost up alot. we dont really mind what dates we go. ill be travelling from manchester and my sis will be travelling from ireland so id like a direct flight as ill be on my own. can anyone help? where is the best place to look for good flights.
also if anyone has any advice re ny or nj id be delighted to hear from you xx

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 30-Sep-12 08:33:42

Would avoid Continental regardless as apart from their mean baggage allowances (asking $100 to transport a second case in the hold is a ripoff frankly and is a way just to increase revenue) they are really poor generally in terms of service onboard as well.

Have a look at BA or Virgin instead; both these airlines have more generous and free baggage allowance for their pax. ( BA's flights to NYC area depart from Heathrow however). Would ascertain for yourself whether Virgin fly out of Manchester to the NYC area. If they do try using them instead.

I'd also suggest that you fly into Newark in any case as your friend lives in NJ.

Wear lots of layers; NYC can be extremely cold in January and they can get lots of snow and ice.

Try sites like Skyscanner and Kayak to name but two also for flights as well as BA and Virgins websites directly.

bettykelly123 Sun 30-Sep-12 20:47:31

thank you xxx

Rosa Sun 30-Sep-12 20:53:37

Try skyscanner.net for other options....

Mrscog Sun 30-Sep-12 21:08:20

I suspect that flying from Manchester will be making it more expensive, but you'd need to weigh up the cost of getting to London vs extra cost flying from Manchester. When I went to Barbados with Virgin 3 years ago the extra supplement to fly from Manchester was the same as flying from London with an upgrade! Needless to say what we went with....

I can get £420 return from Heathrow with Virgin in Jan - that's just with one bag (23Kg) though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now