Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to America VWP

(5 Posts)
noisytoys Thu 13-Sep-12 22:34:10

Hi I am going to Florida next week under the Visa Waiver Program. I was cautioned for assault but not arrested or convicted. Does anyone know if i will be turned away. I am losing sleep over this but don't have time to apply for a visa thanks

mummymeister Thu 13-Sep-12 23:03:09

you need to check directly with the embassy as it depends on when you were cautioned, how long ago etc. please dont just risk it and go without checking. a boyfriend of my flat mates did this and he got stopped at the airport and sent home. all v embarassing and once it has happened once a visa would be really difficult. have a look at the VWP i think it says on there that you have to tell them the situation. good luck.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 14-Sep-12 09:55:24

Did you accept the caution?. How long ago did this happen?.

I would check with the US Embassy as a matter of urgency; you may well not be admitted into the US. You may well need a visa to enter and this will entail you having a face to face interview.

How did you complete the ESTA?. The VWP has been replaced by the US governments ESTA online form. Even if this was approved this does not mean that entry into the US is guaranteed; that decision lies with the immigration officer.

noisytoys Fri 14-Sep-12 11:38:00

I was cautioned about a year ago but as I was not arrested (the policeman confirmed this) or convicted, I answered no to the question have you been arrested or convicted. They did take my fingerprints though and interviewed me (not under caution). I am going on Wednesday and I am losing sleep over this

noisytoys Sat 22-Sep-12 12:20:19

Just to let you know we are in Florida and had no problems with DHS. Thanks for your advice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now