Talk

Advanced search

Travelling by myself with 6mth oold twins and 2yr old

(11 Posts)
FER1 Sat 01-Oct-11 20:59:54

Hi,
I am on maternity leave with new twins and also have a 2.5yr old and want to go home to Australia in january for an extended period of time. My husband would come out later to bring us back. Has anyone had any experience of travelling with kids alone? I know that for babies in cots they need to be held during take off and turbulence so I would need an extra pair of hands. The older one would be in her own seat. Apart from the hell the actual trip would be, has anyone dealt with airlines that assist in such circumstances?
Thanks.

MOSagain Sun 02-Oct-11 07:07:54

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure you have to have one adult for each infant, ie under 2 years. I remember a friend of mine a year or so ago had to get her mother to fly with her as she had two under two and would not be allowed to travel without another adult.
I've flown long haul a few times with my DC when they were infants and have to say that Emirates were excellent with them but doubt you'd get them to hold one of your babies on take-off/landing.

thestringcheeseincident Sun 02-Oct-11 07:42:09

Yes I can't think how you could manage it. Singapore Airlines are always best for children and are extremely helpful. Also request airport assistance (through your airline) when you land and someone will meet you off the plane and help with luggage/customs etc. Can you take someone with you? A MIL or mate? Or could you pay a nanny?

Shoshe Sun 02-Oct-11 07:58:46

I know it was 48 years ago, but my Mom traveled alone to Singapore, with in those days two stop overs with 8 week old twins, a 2.10, 4.10 and a 6 year old.

(she also traveled from Edinburgh, to Brize Norton by train to get to the plane.)

She had previously gone to Oman with a when the 2.10 was 6 week old and the older two as well.

Think in those days people just got on with it more grin

FER1 Sun 02-Oct-11 19:37:04

Thanks all - i didn't think it it would be good news. I read on the Qantas site that you need an adult for each child under 2. I might check with the airlines to see if they offer some kind of service where you pay for a hostie to help out. Otherwise I might have to advertise for someone looking to travel to Aus and offer to pay half their fare if they carry a kid for me! MIL etc not an option (think my MIL would keel over in panic if I asked). The other option is to ask my dad to fly over here then go back with me which he's offered to do but I'd feel so guilty (and the expense!). Will ring Emirates and Singapore airlines as have hdard good things about both (and can personally vouch for Sing). Any of you fancy a trip to Aus in Jan...?

Notsurehow Sun 02-Oct-11 19:42:49

I (sadly) think you will find that all airlines have the same rule.Also,unless you pay for a seat for one or both of the twins-where would they spend their time? You cannot possibly have the two of them on your lap (you would go demented) and also the 2.5yr old will need toilet trips etc.
Most airlines also will not "guarantee" bulkhead seat with skycots or similar-flippin' ridiculous I know but have experienced this problem first hand more than once.

I was looking at possibly visiting Sydney in Jan (as long as I have childcare here for DD) so maybe I could be your "sky-nanny"...

FER1 Thu 06-Oct-11 14:23:28

That would be fantastic Notsurehow! Do keep in touch - I'd love to travel with another mum. Sky-nannys... there's a business idea...

papooshka Sun 09-Oct-11 05:44:19

As its been mentioned you will definitely have to have 1 adult per infant under 2.

Apart from that, I travelled with my 2 year old and was pregnant on Singapore Airlines from Sing to London. I asked for assistance and it was great, Singapore side I had someone with me from check in right to boarding, and then in London someone met me at the gate and took me right through to arrivals. Basically carrying bags etc and an extra pair of hands. Would highly recommend you doing this (god I sound like a right princess, and you will have 3 kids with you!!)

FER1 Sun 09-Oct-11 22:05:28

Ha! not at all papooshka. Singapore sounds great and we travelled with them to Aus when our girl was 11mths and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.
Thanks all for your replies and if anyof you are travelling in Jan and fancy some baby company then please do let me know!

Notsurehow Sat 15-Oct-11 03:56:36

Gosh...been working like a mad thing and then juggling all DD's stuff plus some major fundraising so not been online for days.
Am still considering Oz in the new yr but leaving DD behind will not be easy (and not just in an emotional/Mummy sense).She loved our time in Australia,would know she was missing out on seeing friends there etc.However,she knows that she couldn't take time off school,we couldn't afford it etc etc so am still up for it if you want a sky nanny (used to be maternity nurse/nanny over 20yrs ago) then maybe it could work....

Thzumbazombiewitch Sat 15-Oct-11 04:38:59

Good grief, I can understand your need to go back but I have to say that you would be insane to attempt it on your own! I know it's a bit expensive, but is there any chance one member of your Aussie family could fly to England for a holiday and then accompany you back?

I have travelled solo with DS when he's been just 2, 2.8 and 3.6 - he's been fine but I've found it restrictive just when I needed to go to the loo, mostly having to take him with me to stop him wailing. How on earth would you manage with 3 of them? Or would you try and wait until they were all asleep, which may never happen? You can only get one skycot/seat on the bulkhead at once, and there's no guarantee you'd even get it - so where would the other baby go?

I really hope you manage to work a way out, but you cannot possibly do it by yourself, not all that way, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now