Talk

Advanced search

Dubai with a 2 year old - jet lag tips??

(13 Posts)
DaydreamDolly Thu 22-Sep-11 16:22:52

We are visiting family in Dubai for a week, leaving on saturday, early morning.

I am starting to panic slightly about the time difference, DD is 2.2 and I know that SIL will expect us to go out in the evening once or twice and leave DD with their live in, non english speaking au pair. I know they trust her implicitly, but I am worried that I won't be able to get DD to sleep before we go out, due to jet lag, and am not comfortable leaving her with a stranger to put her to bed.

Any tips? Anyone done Dubai with a toddler, and did it take long for them to get into the time zone? And do you think I'm being all pfb'y?!

Thanks all, am also expecting no 2 so perhaps over thinking problems here.

RickGhastley Thu 22-Sep-11 16:32:37

We went when DS was 2. We actually did try to keep him on UK time so that we could all go out for dinner in the evenings. The hotel had fab black out curtains so he was not woken up by the sun.

It's only a 3 hour time change isn't it? Just try to put him down a bit earlier than usual and let him sleep as long as possible.

I would not worry about the nanny either, if your DD spends a bit of time with her before I'm sure she will be fine with going to bed without Mummy.

DaydreamDolly Thu 22-Sep-11 16:37:52

Thanks for the reply Rick, much appreciated. We are staying with SIL so I think I'll take the Gro blind with us as I know her kids are up with the sun every morning at 5am (yuk)
Good idea to not encourage her into Dubai time (think they're 4 hours ahead at the mo) as it will be a nightmare when we get home won't it.
I'd love to take her out in the evenings but have a feeling SIL and BIL enjoy their child free evenings so don't think it'll be an option...

DaydreamDolly Thu 22-Sep-11 20:48:54

Shameless bump blush

DaydreamDolly Fri 23-Sep-11 08:06:28

<whistles>

PeriPathetic Fri 23-Sep-11 08:12:15

I'd worry less about the sleeping and more about the heat! It's incredible.

The time difference isn't too bad, start adjusting her sleeping times a few days before you leave and all should be well. Or just let the au pair deal with her and enjoy yourselves wink

We went when DD was 2. We just took her with us in the evenings as no child-care was available to us.

Beware of the chicken sausages - spectacular proctile vomiting ensued from these...

PeriPathetic Fri 23-Sep-11 08:12:36

*projectile

DaydreamDolly Fri 23-Sep-11 08:16:13

Thanks Peri, the heat does worry me but as we're staying with relatives we've been assured there's plenty to do out of the heat.
Chicken sausages sound interesting!!
Was the 7 hour flight painful?

PeriPathetic Fri 23-Sep-11 13:40:45

There are a lot of air-conditioned shopping malls and soft play places (I think - I may be getting countries muddled up, it was a long time ago!) but you will be outside from time to time. The beach, desert, markets and so on.

The flight was fine. I think I was more anxious than her tbh. Conscious of other passengers, I knocked myself out to prevent her being noisy; she'd never had so much mummy-attention! It worked fine. She didn't sleep though confused

Chicken sausages because, of course, there is no pork there. They went down well, but came back up equally "well"...

We also found DD got heaps of attention there as she was a blondie at the time. Lots of prods and pats on the head from the men. Took a bit of getting used to.

Enjoy your holiday!

DaydreamDolly Fri 23-Sep-11 16:13:30

Ah yes of course, no pork! I'll be steering clear then as I am 15weeks pregnant smile

Just stocked up on activity books, sticker books, colouring books and down loaded Peppa etc on iPad.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be!!

Lizcat Fri 23-Sep-11 20:23:37

To be honest we have never noticed the time difference it was too little to bother. Flick the seat back TV on to a suitable movie and you should be away. The only time we ever had jet lag trouble was going to the US. Now at 7 DD still switches straight to local time.

MoniDubai Sat 24-Sep-11 09:05:09

Dubai is a really child friendly place, but still quite hot at this time of year, so I guess you'll be resort based and mall based as well, but mornings and eves are fine to be outside, and do try restaurants other than the hotel, here is a link to a great Ayrvedic cafe in a small mall on Sheikh Zayed Road, fabulous food at very reasonable prices, Monica. doindubai.com/2011/07/18/great-new-ayurvedic-cafe-in-dubai-b-a-l-a-n-c-e/
The red rice dosas are fab, very child friendly place as well.

startail Tue 27-Sep-11 00:17:01

I wouldn't worry, DD(2.5) was only a problem the first night we spent on the East coast of the USA and that's a much bigger jump. She woke up at 3am and just watched cartoons until dawn, when we went to the Macdonalds opposite that had a soft play and drank lots of cofeegrin
After that she slipped pretty much into local time.
Coming back doesn't bother kids because they simply sleep on the plane. Hell for tall DH who doesn't and then has to drive home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now