Talk

Advanced search

NYC in the rain versus Dubai in the blistering heat

(24 Posts)
forevermore Thu 08-Sep-11 19:00:51

Meant or be on a girly holiday to NYC next week but forecast is rain. I hve been looking forward to first holiday without kids for 6 years for the whole year but girlfriends are saying let's ditch NY fie Dubai due to weather. Dubai has never appealed to me due to unwritten rules that u have heard of and frankly want a weekend if abandon with no worries about Ps and Qs etc. Lots of shopping wine drinking and lazy mornings. Anyone been to Dubai who can tell me if I can have a nice hassle free time there? Any advantages over NYC other than weather?

MrsCog Thu 08-Sep-11 19:11:31

We went to NYC in May and it rained every day. Take a good brolly and layer your clothes and you'll still have a great time - NYC is all about seeing/doing stuff rather than enjoying the weather so you can still make the most of it. To be honest, I really don't think it made much difference to our trip, we may have been slightly more 'jubilant' with the holiday if it had been nice weather but not much more.

Also, there's plenty of time for the forcast to change yet.

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Thu 08-Sep-11 19:18:23

New York, New York, New York.

Since when was a city break about sunbathing? I can see that it would be a pain if it was having an ice storm, but a bit of rain won't hurt.

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Thu 08-Sep-11 19:20:11

(unless the rain comes attached to Hurricane Katia, but I'm pretty sure she's going to be in the Shetlands by then.

forevermore Thu 08-Sep-11 20:56:04

grin was hoping you'd say that. I don't get that excitement when
I hear of Dubai. Now to convince the rain shy girlswink

mumofsoontobelawstudent Thu 08-Sep-11 22:33:02

ah, now I'd say Dubai grin Used to go there a lot when lived in Middle East and loads of us ladies used to go for girlie weekends there and get completely plastered and never had any problems.

Enjoy wherever you do go.

mrsshears Thu 08-Sep-11 22:33:47

Go to las vegas!

I had a long weekend there in july and it has everything you want and excitement by the bucket load.

midnightexpress Thu 08-Sep-11 22:36:04

NYC, most definitely. Dubai looks so yawnsome (but I am not a sun worshipper. And I've never been there). Sooooo much to do in New York. And who cares about rain when you've got Magnolia Bakery and the Guggenheim?

mrsshears Thu 08-Sep-11 22:36:06

I should add i know that wasnt one of your options,i just think it would be perfect for the kind of holiday you say you would be looking for.
Could you make it an option?

alarkaspree Thu 08-Sep-11 22:43:28

The forecast doesn't look too bad to me. This weekend is supposed to be nice and then two days during the week say some rain.

Yesterday in NY was very rainy, but today was forecast to rain and not a drop fell all day. You'd be quite unlikely to get really constant rain in September. You might get some storms but they are usually over quite fast.

I say go for it. I know nothing about Dubai though.

moondog Thu 08-Sep-11 22:44:55

Dubai is hideous.
NY definiteyl.

MABS Mon 12-Sep-11 17:49:11

love new york and dubai. go often to both. But totally different type of hols! Not quite sure what hassle you are referring to in Dubai (unless you are planning sex on the beach) gorgeous sun and fab hotels, very relaxing. NY pretty much opposite but equally great smile

ednurse Mon 12-Sep-11 17:50:45

Yes is Vegas an option? Got back two weeks ago, very hot, 43c!! Big party scene, you can drink wherever, hang by the pool, hotels are cheap, etc.

said Mon 12-Sep-11 17:51:29

Dubai looks vile. Can't even imagine this being a dilemma. NY over Dubai whatever the weather

ednurse Mon 12-Sep-11 17:51:57

oh and Vegas has FAB shopping, brilliant restaurants. I've been to NYC 4 times absolutely love it BUT....I prefer Vegas now wink

FemaleEuknickers Mon 12-Sep-11 17:55:46

NYC - loads to do and see, fabulous restaurants to eat at and bars to sip martinis in.

Catslikehats Mon 12-Sep-11 17:58:15

Hotels in Dubai are much better value than NYC, real luxury for far less than you get in NYC.

No hassle, as MABS says unless you are planning on sex on the beach.

Shopping is obviously amazing but more expensive than NYC, and no culture but you can laze all day by the pool/on the beach. Depends what you want out of your hols really, but if you do go to Dubai book brunch at Al Qasar: free flowing moet, mojitos and moscow mules - no one ever regrets it!

NYC offers a completely different type of hol but isn't so much fun in the rain IMO.

MABS Mon 12-Sep-11 18:19:38

totally agree re brunch at Al Q Thequeenofdenial smile

MABS Mon 12-Sep-11 18:22:17

for what it's worth I would never express an opinion on somewhere i have never been, will only ever speak from personalopinion , not hearsay or the papers. Have been to Vegas, long time ago, but it was a really great hol i have to say.

allhailtheaubergine Mon 12-Sep-11 18:26:41

Dubai is UGLY. Everywhere is a building site. You will sunbathe with cranes above your head. The hotels are overpriced and soulless. It is hot, yes, but don't imagine blue skies - at this time of year there are white, dusty, close skies and the heat is oppressive. You won't leave the hotels and the malls. There are so many beautiful places in the world - why go to Dubai?

notcitrus Mon 12-Sep-11 18:27:16

New York. Shopping can be done indoors, loads of theatre and music and museums and the subway is dry, great cafes, bars, etc.

Dubai has no culture, no touristy icons, and the shopping is more limited too. Bland expat bars are OK for a break but if the alternative is NYC even with rain, go to NYC!

MABS Mon 12-Sep-11 18:33:45

agree re no culture in Dubai, love some of the hotels with lovely atmosphere, but certainly there are a fair few concrete blocks i agree.but oppressive heat - I disagree. In July and Aug yes, but it is cooling now so is around 35degs.

Really depends what type of break you want i think, both are so totally different and in my opinion both totally great.

Catslikehats Mon 12-Sep-11 18:46:57

I don't think the heat is oppressive - I took a cardi on the school run this morning grin

I will give you that it is a building site depending on where you stay. There are also some fantatsic desert resorts, but probably more suited to a romantic weekend than a girls holiday.

I also totally disagree that hotels are expensive. 4* here tends to be better than UK 5* and service and luxury is better than pretty much anywhere in the world. Rooms in a top Dubai hotel are about ££150/200 a night, in a top London hotel (for a comparitive example you'd pay £400+).

I also love NYC, they are totally differerent hols.

MoniDubai Sat 24-Sep-11 09:19:31

I would say New York as I live in Dubai ! But to help you make up your mind, look at this site which tells you about Dubai from a real resident's point of view, you could do funky things like dip your silver jewellery in gold as the latest post suggests for a fraction of the price at home, eat fab food, go to the beach but I don't think malls are a good idea, but that's me, Monica. Here is the site

www.DoinDubai.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now