Talk

Advanced search

Florida Newbie...Heeeelp!

(4 Posts)
CDMforever Thu 25-Aug-11 20:14:44

We are considering a holiday to Florida next year but know nothing!

We have 3 DCs who will be 14, 5 and 3. I realise it might be too early for the LOs (height restrictions etc) but want our eldest to still want to come with us IYSWIM.

Regarding accommodation I think we are veering towards the idea of a "home from home" where we can relax and spread out after a long day at the theme parks so I guess a villa would probably be best?

That said, my DH isn't that keen on driving in the US, had a bad experience in Germany a few years ago. So staying in a villa we wouldn't get transport to the parks...

Another option might be an apartment in a resort that does have shuttle buses.

Can anyone give me some top tips??

Thinking about going in the Easter Holidays, is this a good time to go?

mumofsoontobelawstudent Fri 26-Aug-11 14:00:07

From my experience, Easter is one of the busiest, and expensive times of year. You will need to be looking at booking your flights now as they book up very quickly and the prices will go up nearer the time. We were going to go next Easter but the high prices is putting me off. Also, Disney parks will be very busy then, more busy that other holiday periods.

Ref villas, they are excellent in that you can have the space to relax after a busy day but not for you if you are not going to hire a car. With apartments/motels, they do offer shuttle buses but you won't have the space you would have with a villa and would probably need 2 or 3 rooms which will work out more expensive than a 4 bedroom villa with a private pool and gamesrooms. Private villas can cost from around $100 per night although probably a little more at easter, maybe $115 to $125 depending on the locaction.

If you decide to go down the villa route I'd highly recomment Loyalty Homes. It is owned and managed by an english lady called Yvonne and is based in Kissimmee. They manage many homes within 4 miles of Disney and most have private pools and gamesrooms. www.loyaltyusa.com

Good luck grin

tallulah Fri 26-Aug-11 14:44:07

We've been several times at Easter and not had any problems. If you go to Universal at Easter they have mardi gras parades and throw beads. Our teens loved that and collected almost a suitcase full.

We generally pick an hotel that has free shuttle buses. The only thing you might have a problem with is 5 people in a hotel room (we've been as a 4 in one room and a 7 in two).

Your best bet is going to get some brochures from the travel agents and see which way would work best.

Gay40 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:50:21

I always go in October when it's very quiet. I've never stayed in a villa because DD prefers the "throughflow" of other kids that you get in hotels and she'd just be on her own in a villa.
For the last few years we've stayed in a sort of apartmenthotel which is the best of both worlds - own kitchen etc, but with transport to parks as well.
Saying that, we get a hire car because it is the easiest place to drive around - everything signposted.
Where we stay has a range of apartments to suit every family size, and you can watch the fireworks over Magic Kingdom from the balcony.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now